Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 24 Jan 2010)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Thumbs up Beer of the Week (w/e 24 Jan 2010)

Following on from the last thread, the place to discuss beers you enjoyed in the w/e 24 Jan 2010. I will promote any beers you clearly state as your beer of the week to this first post.

Eddie86: Tactical Nuclear Penguin
    Conrad: Bath Ales Festivity
    oldboots: Acorn Brewery's Barnsley Bitter
    Oggwyn Trench: Hobsons Best
    Dave M: Thames Valley Ale
    ROBCamra: Elland 1872 Porter
    aleandhearty: Hartington IPA
    RogerB: Whitstable Kentish Reserve
    Millay: Yorks Centurians Ghost

Default Beer of the week

I'll kick-off by boldly proclaiming that DarkStar Hophead is my beer of the week-probably of the decade. Surprising really, when I consider myself a traditional brown bitter/dark ale man. Mind you, everything I 've had from this brewery is excellent.

That's not fair - we haven't finished last week yet! I've still got 2 'Spoons, my local wierd beer pub and a few Doom Bars at my quiz night to get through before we start on w/e 24 Jan.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi Wittenden,

First of all welcome to Pubs Galore! Myself and Dave M are the admins of the site, so if you are having any problems, are confused by anything or can see anything that needs improving just ask either of us. Not sure if you already know some of our regulars, but they are a friendly bunch, Hoppy (Hopwas) is the chatty one who is bound to say hello if you are round here long enough.

I was getting a little ahead of myself I must admit, I think this threads week has about 5-6 hours before it is valid. Let me know if you want me to put your suggestion onto last weeks thread though.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Conrad

Thanks Dictator!

I will report back when I get back from London (Couple of pubs to explore) I am so looking foward this trip for long time.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I'll kick-off by boldly proclaiming that DarkStar Hophead is my beer of the week-probably of the decade.
    Must be good stuff this Hophead. There are too many people whose judgement I trust* who rave about it.

Welcome to PG 'wittenden'. Always good to have another familiar name. Hope you like what you see and decide to stick around.

* Then again RogerB loves Blue Anchor beers
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Must be good stuff this Hophead. There are too many people whose judgement I trust* who rave about it.
    Yes, I've been thinking the same, I've never managed to find it anywhere in Bristol though.

I guess now Dark Star have moved to new premises and have tripled their capacity it may well become a bit more widespread.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Yes, I've been thinking the same, I've never managed to find it anywhere in Bristol though.

I guess now Dark Star have moved to new premises and have tripled their capacity it may well become a bit more widespread.
    No doubt I'll get jumped on by ROBCamra and 'oldboots' for saying this, but I've never seen any Dark Star beers locally either. I've just been on the Dark Star website and apparently Hophead is made with Cascade hops, so that should be right up my street.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    No doubt I'll get jumped on by ROBCamra and 'oldboots' for saying this, but I've never seen any Dark Star beers locally either.
    I'm too old to jump about, it's rare in t'north I'll admit but I had some in the Kings Head in Huddersfield back

in May last year and I think I may have seen it in the Maltings in York on one occasion

. Nonetheless a super big hop beer.

The only time(s) I've seen Dark Star this far south has been in Wetherspoon pubs, but I have to admit I don't remember either the beers or the occasions.On the face of it, Hophead doesn't sound exactly my sort of beer but folk keep using terms like 'very hoppy' and 'intense', so, as I love the American 'Triple-hopped' beers, it might well, indeed, be right up my street...here's to hopping... glug..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........