Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 17 Jan 2010)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Thumbs up Beer of the Week (w/e 17 Jan 2010)

I have decided to try out weekly nomination threads to try and keep things interesting. Where someone clearly says it is their beer of the week I will edit this first post and place the information in here. This thread follows on from the Beer of the Week thread. No rules in this thread, so banter as normal, but where a statement is made that it is a beer of the week I will note it down. At the end of next week I will move this thread to the new Beer of the Week forum (and start the Beer of the Week (w/e 31 Jan 2010) thread so we always have 2 running), where it can still be replied to and we can keep a weekly record of these for a laugh

So for this week:

aleandhearty: Timothy Taylor 'Golden Best'
    Millay: Sod from 'Banks & Taylor'
    Soup Dragon: Bathams Mild
    runningdog: Orkney Island
    oldboots: Cairngorm Witches Cauldron
    trainman: Salopian Prohibition
    Conrad: Bath Ales Golden Hare
    RogerB: Cheddar Totty Pot (4,5%)
    Dave M: McEwans Champion

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Well my beer of the week goes to Bath Ales Golden Hare, a nice light ale which went really nicely with the Salmon Steak and veg I had for lunch from The Wellington. A very nice lunch, in a pleasant pub.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I've probably had too many beers today (Old Hooky, Okells IPA and Dark Star Hophead amongst others) to understand how this is supposed to work but as we are on the cusp today I will post my next BotW on the subsequent post.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I probably should have put midnight on, so still this thread for another 5-6 hours. But it is just for fun, so feel free to confuse me by submitting more than one or submitting them to different weeks.
    Last edited by Conrad; 17-01-2010 at 18:49. Reason: typed pub instead of put, it is turning into an obsession :)

Every week will probably end up with Doom Bar being my beer of the week since my regular pub stocks it and it is one of my favourites. Taking it out of the equation, of my other samples of the week, the Cheddar Totty Pot (4,5%) in the Wat Tyler, Dartford wins my beer of the week (as well as name of the week) but then it hasn't been a very productive 7 days ale wise. Didn't even get to either of the 'Spoons in town. Must try harder this week.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I know what you mean, I barely drink these days (very sad I know) and most frequently it is Doom Bar, still it is just a bit of fun, so Doom Bar may be getting credited quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Didn't even get to either of the 'Spoons in town. Must try harder this week.
    Why Oh why???

They usually stock good 5 to 7 real ales on sale. Just ingore its surroundings and enjoy your drink. Oh it is very cheap compared to "normal" pubs
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Why Oh why???

They usually stock good 5 to 7 real ales on sale. Just ingore its surroundings and enjoy your drink. Oh it is very cheap compared to "normal" pubs
    I usually get to them both once a week to see what's occuring at the pumps. Both our 'Spoons (Paper Moon & Flying Boat) are actually pretty good - rarely see any hassle and quite a few ales between them. The Flying Boat has a wonderful interior whilst the Paper Moon is a bit more formulaic but has a better ale range. I will certainly get to them this week, in fact I may pop in tonight to get my beer of the week campaign off to a start. We recently did a brewery trip to Nelsons in Chatham and as a result there is a Flying Moon ale brewed specifically for the 2 pubs (and not just an old beer rebadged). I am waiting for the new 'Spoons mag to come out as hopefully there is a story about the trip and the ale with my handsome mug gracing the background in the photos.

Well mine has to be the surprisingly drinkable 7.3% ABV McEwans Champion that helped me get over the shock of finally seeing a home win for Bristol City on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Well mine has to be the surprisingly drinkable 7.3% ABV McEwans Champion that helped me get over the shock of finally seeing a home win for Bristol City on Saturday.
    OMG! 7.3%?! I'll drink to that after Oxford United's shock home defeat to Tamworth. (It was their first home defeat of the season!)
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/