Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 14 August 2011)

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Due to the horse trading that is part and parcel of family holidays, the second week of our Cornwall hols was even quieter than the first on the cask beer front. (However, lots of local bottles, of which Skinner's St Piran's and Keltek King were my favourites.) Felt really good then to go on my preferred Wakey mini-crawl yesterday and have normal sevice resumed! Tried this week:

Bays - Devon Dumpling
    Bays - Topsail.
    St Austell - Proper Job.
    Dartmoor - Friggins.
    Zero Degrees - Pale Ale.
    Elland - Savannah.
    Dr Morton's - Goat Flush.
    Fullers - London Porter.
    Milestones - Fletchers Ale.
    Derby Brewing Co - 30 Drop Hop.
    Glentworth - Lightyear.
    Ministry of Beer - False £conomy.*
    Raw - Anubis Porter.
    Fernandes -Traditional Mild.
    Fernandes - Scorcher.
    Rudgate - WB.
    Oakham - Black Hole Porter.
    Kelham Island - Easy Rider.

With honorable mentions for the Lightyear and False £conomy, BOTW goes to the Anubis Porter which proved the perfect antidote to pale beer overload.

*I suspect Ministry of Beer is a very new brewery. (Love the name.) The barman in the Bull & Fairhouse had no idea where they were from and there's very little to be had on googling, apart from a site under construction. Looks like one to watch.
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 15-08-2011 at 15:10.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I'll stay on me own

My beer of the week is Wye Valley HPA which i had in the Fox Inn in Monkwood Green,this was a really nice country pub that had,nt been spoiled,and it was still a drinkers pub.

A dismal week of drinking. With the England game called off I had a whole week of doing nothing and even a short notice football trip to Weston Super Mare yielded nothing. A wander round Bexleyheath last night produced just 1 hitherto untied beer, Harveys Lewes Castle Brown Ale at the Robin Hood & Little John. That's about as good as anything got. I'm sure my Scottish trek this week will throw up a better selection.

Kentish Ale Tent at Sissinghurst Smallholding Fair. Several interesting beers:
    Tonbridge Brewery-Ebony Moon (4.1 abv), a jet black bitterish porter:not in the same league as Riggwelter or Old Peculier,but pretty damn good.
    Royal Tunbridge Wells Brewery-Sovereign Blonde(3.8abv) a tastey summery session beer.
    Abigale Brewery-Samphire (4.1abv)-seaweedy seesion beer.It grew on me.
    Old Dairy-Blue Top IPA (4.8abv) an excellent pint of this prize winning discretely citrussy IPA.
    Very close between the Blue Top and Ebony Moon, but my BOTW is Old Dairy Blue Top.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

A very welcome brace of BOTW Dark Star American Pale Ale in The George in Croydon pre a friend's wedding celebrations. At 4.7% yet easily drinkable and refreshing this was the perfect drink to prepare.

I'm going to retrospectively change my BOTW as I actually found a couple of places selling Illa (pronounced eeyah) the Menorcan micro brewed wheat beer with natural sediment.

Only available in bottle it doesn't half make a change from Estrella.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 21-08-2011 at 12:26.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    *I suspect Ministry of Beer is a very new brewery. (Love the name.) The barman in the Bull & Fairhouse had no idea where they were from and there's very little to be had on googling, apart from a site under construction. Looks like one to watch.
    A little more research has revealed that Ministry of Beer is an off-shoot of the Spitting Feathers brewery, based in Chester. More info here:

http://spittingfeath.users55.donhost...y-of-beers.htm
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Sorry to bump a load of old threads, but I'm just back from my summer hols and I've got a bit of catching up to do.

This week was my last chance to get some decent beers in before heading to foreign climes, but the riots in Croydon saw pubs in town close early, thereby reducing my options. I did manage a brief session in my old local down in Dorset though, the highlight of which was the Isle of Purbeck Studland Bay Wrecked.