Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: PG Meet-up 2011

Olde Trip and Canal House are must do's for me as I have read so much about the pubs - if they have good beer then even better. Vat & Fiddle, Salutaion, Hand & Heart, Cross Keys, Keans Head, Newshouse and Bunkers Hill were all on my list. Didn't know about the Organ Grinder or the Round House but sound good to me. Also had the Cock and Hoop, Bell and Malt Cross down but I suspect they will be in my Plan B list for another day.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I've never had Dragon, Rose of England, Cross Keys or Bunkers Hill on my list, nor have they been mentioned by my Nottingham pals. Keans Head is only ok in my book & eclipsed by Newshouse.
    Personally, I would categorically recommend the 5min train to Beeston for the Vic & (relatively recently renaissanced) Crown.
    The Magpie would be a nice-to-do as a brewery tap, but sufficiently off-route to be unlikely. I'll try to to mop it up on my trial run 15Oct.
    For any with more than a day (or another day), I'd also propose the Plough in Radford (5min bus) - brewery tap for Nottingham Brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I've never had Dragon, Rose of England, Cross Keys or Bunkers Hill on my list, nor have they been mentioned by my Nottingham pals. Keans Head is only ok in my book & eclipsed by Newshouse.
    Personally, I would categorically recommend the 5min train to Beeston for the Vic & (relatively recently renaissanced) Crown.
    The Magpie would be a nice-to-do as a brewery tap, but sufficiently off-route to be unlikely. I'll try to to mop it up on my trial run 15Oct.
    For any with more than a day (or another day), I'd also propose the Plough in Radford (5min bus) - brewery tap for Nottingham Brewery.
    Been in The Dragon, Bunkers Hill & Cross Keys in the last 10 days and would recommend the last two.

Keans Head beer is better than in the Newshouse at the moment.

I personally think we'll struggle to get round the Notts central pubs never mind bus/train rides out.

I even missed a couple out when we were there for 2 days & nights.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Been in The Dragon, Bunkers Hill & Cross Keys in the last 10 days and would recommend the last two.
    Ok, I'm on the case.

Keans Head beer is better than in the Newshouse at the moment.
    Unless Newshouse is having a poor patch on beer quality, this mystifies me.

I personally think we'll struggle to get round the Notts central pubs never mind bus/train rides out.
    Agreed, but it seems a shame for anyone who hasn't been to miss out on (imho) a star like the Vic, which knocks Olde Trip, Canal House, Bell, combined, into a cocked hat. Hold on, hold on, easy there, I do understand the unique attractions of at least the first two of those, but...

I will have about 6 hours in Nottingham. To me that sounds like a maximum of 12 pubs including walking, more likely 10.

Suggested route would be

Vat & Fiddle
    Canalhouse
    Olde Trip To Jerusalem
    Round House
    Bell
    Salutation
    Cross Keys
    Cock & Hoop – optional
    Keans Head
    Bunkers Hill Inn
    Newshouse

Optional add on between Round House & The Bell

Hand & Heart
    Organ Grinder

The add on would take at least an hour with the walk up to Canning Circus & back.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I am happy to go with the flow and trust the judgement of those who know the area best , my only visit to Nottingham was a gig at Rockcity(Stone Sour and Saliva for those who are intrested) a few years back and apart from the gig all i can remember is the bloody confusing roads around the city centre
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I'm not sure about this one, it's a long journey back after a load of beer but I may make it. I'm considering making a weekend of it, maybe staying in Derby as I've not been there for a while. I could then do the Beeston trip as recommended by Trainman.

I'll let you know but right now I have Hong Kong on my mind, leaving tomorrow.

Cheers
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

I know we need fewer, rather than extra suggestions, but this one just txtd in from local (actually local's missus). New to me...
    http://www.theapproachnottingham.com/s_beers.asp

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I know we need fewer, rather than extra suggestions, but this one just txtd in from local (actually local's missus). New to me...
    http://www.theapproachnottingham.com/s_beers.asp
    Yep, been there, done that, reviewed it, as have Al & Gill. It's a decent pub, but mainly a venue for live bands (almost every night).

Dead as a post during the day. Discount for CAMRA members as well. Dropped from GBG2012 though.

I personally don't think it's worth dropping any of other suggestions made so far to accomodate this one.

But no doubt negotiations will continue.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 08-09-2011 at 11:40.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

I will have about 6 hours in Nottingham. To me that sounds like a maximum of 12 pubs including walking, more likely 10.

Suggested route would be

Vat & Fiddle
    Canalhouse
    Olde Trip To Jerusalem
    Round House
    Bell
    Salutation
    Cross Keys
    Cock & Hoop – optional
    Keans Head
    Bunkers Hill Inn
    Newshouse

Optional add on between Round House & The Bell

Hand & Heart
    Organ Grinder

The add on would take at least an hour with the walk up to Canning Circus & back.
    That does sound like an excellent tour ,with a true excess of outstanding boozers.I would be up for the add on to The Organ Grinder but that might render me less able to appreciate the last few on the list.