Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting Head

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Dave, you are no doubt right, but in this case both glasses are clearly marked Pint

I once had a ruler thingy that measured the head on a pint, and costed it to pennies shortchanged by the pub, probably more of a Southern problem where little or nil head is expected, hence the Pompey CAMRA

I do think Trading Standards is a bit OTT though, unless bar person was trained at the Basil Fawlty pub persona school

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I love the texture of a head on beer. With porter for example that texture seems to come from within the beer, the head is not something that sits scum like on top. A lot of Northern beers are brewed to have that 'integral texture' and that is why I and many others find it so easy to drink.
    A prime example of that is Old Peculiar. Serve it without a sparkler and it is as flat as last nights Dandelion and Burdock. With one it is almost as much a delight to the eye as the taste buds.
    My preference is for dark beers and a pet hate for me is the bloke who either assumes I'm drinking Guinness or sez 'That looks just like Guinness'. I must stand in front of a mirror and practice the look on the girls face in the Golf ad when told 'If you listen very carefully, it sounds just like a Golf
    After all, if I'm drinking Old Peculiar why the hell should I want something that only looks like it?
    I think that makes sense
    Last edited by runningdog; 15-01-2010 at 14:58. Reason: Me fingers were doing the thinking again. I hate it when that happens.
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Farway, deliberate thread drift this, but I keep meaning to ask. Does Horndean seem empty without Gales?
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Quote Originally Posted by runningdog View Post
    Farway, deliberate thread drift this, but I keep meaning to ask. Does Horndean seem empty without Gales?
    Yes, it is like a ghost town, never was much of a place TBH, once Gales went the Co-op followed [guess lot of their customers worked in the brewery?]

So all there is a somewhat seedy shopping arcade, which seems to only have chuckaways in it

Oddly enough the Red Lion has had a spruce up & new Premier Inns hotel tacked on their car park, so some new trade is around

The Brewery is still up for development, no idea when or what as yet

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Yes, it is like a ghost town.....Oddly enough the Red Lion has had a spruce up
    It did look a bit rundown when I drove through a week or two before Christmas. I miswrote my original question, ment to add 'to you' so it didn't quote come out as I inteded it to. Still an all, I got the answer my question. I tried the Red Lion that day, had a more than decent HSB. Always one of my favourite beers and I have to say I think Fullers are making a good job of it. Small mercies, what!

when down in Ashburton in Devon I used a pub called the Red Lion .. smashing place it was too .. full of ex-pirates and the like .. however the chief bitter on offer was Pedigree wich was served without a head .. instead there was a slime like topping resembling spilt petro lying in puddles on a rainy day at a Murco forecourt .. disgusting to look at but you a) got a full measure and b) got pissed .. a more deadly offering was the inches white cider on tap .. looked horrible tasted horrible and would in time disolve you .. it was cheaper than the Pedigree though ..l

Quote Originally Posted by runningdog View Post
    It did look a bit rundown when I drove through a week or two before Christmas. I miswrote my original question, ment to add 'to you' so it didn't quote come out as I inteded it to. Still an all, I got the answer my question. I tried the Red Lion that day, had a more than decent HSB. Always one of my favourite beers and I have to say I think Fullers are making a good job of it. Small mercies, what!

Oh, the spruce up was ages before that, must have gone retro

If you are likely to be going by again drop us a line [pm] and maybe we could sample some together, even try the Havant Brewery "Finished" perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    If you are likely to be going by again drop us a line [pm] and maybe we could sample some together, even try the Havant Brewery "Finished" perhaps
    Hold on to that thought..........

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Now i have got your attention, I wanted to ask your thoughts on 'head'. I love a head on my beer and struggle with beer festival and 'flat' served beer, which is one reason why i cant jusge the Wellington in Brum - great pub (though pricey) but no head. Now, I am in the midlands, where i believe you SHOULD get head, i am finding it being served 'southern style'. Is it not easier to pour it with head and top it up if you dont want head, than to pour it flatter where you would have to put washing up liquid in it to liven it?

As this proves, i simply drink bear, i dont make it.
    You shouldn't mention barmaids and head in the same breath, but one of my formative influences in beer drinking and heads on beer was dear old Katie, the grandmotherly barmaid of the Biddenden Red Lion. The beer was Fremlins, served by gravity from stillages out the back: I don't know how she did it, but each pint had a loose, fluffy head about one to two inches above the top of the beer.I suppose tiptop condition, coupled with adept use of spile and tap. Happy days. Once the stillage went, and the back bar was turned over to dining, the whole magic left.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    You shouldn't mention barmaids and head in the same breath, but one of my formative influences in beer drinking and heads on beer was dear old Katie, the grandmotherly barmaid of the Biddenden Red Lion. The beer was Fremlins, served by gravity from stillages out the back: I don't know how she did it, but each pint had a loose, fluffy head about one to two inches above the top of the beer.I suppose tiptop condition, coupled with adept use of spile and tap. Happy days. Once the stillage went, and the back bar was turned over to dining, the whole magic left.
    Sorry mate, i often think of the two at the same time
    MILD: