Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire in late August - anyone around for a meet-up?

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

We have the caravan in Newark leaving on 27.8.11, and I have just booked a day trip to London on London Midland on 2.9.11 for £20.40 for the 2 of us.

We can arrive in your area 27.8.11 and leave on 1.9.11. Anywhere good for us on a crawl.

Will check out a place to park up and let you know if definate later as I am also waiting for hosp operation date to come through which will scuttle all the bookings I am making.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Leeds is also easy for me too, so let's pencil Leeds in
    Hopefully with an informed guide I can do a couple of places slightly farther out
    Been a bit busy the last couple of days, so excuse the tardy reply. I'd also like to tag along. Funnily enough, I'd have suggested Leeds, thinking you hadn't visited it before. Like ROB says there are probably too many decent pubs to fit in one day, but we can only try our best! What's nice about Leeds is the fact it set out quite nicely for various circuits. I also know Leeds pretty well, having worked there most of my life.

Realistically, we could spend all day in the centre, but you shouldn't miss the Garden Gate in Hunslet, the local equivalent of The Barton Arms, although 'oldboots' thinks it's better:

Garden Gate Hotel
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    We can arrive in your area 27.8.11 and leave on 1.9.11. Anywhere good for us on a crawl.

Will check out a place to park up and let you know if definate later as I am also waiting for hosp operation date to come through which will scuttle all the bookings I am making.
    Cool, keep us informed!

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Funnily enough, I'd have suggested Leeds, thinking you hadn't visited it before. Like ROB says there are probably too many decent pubs to fit in one day, but we can only try our best! What's nice about Leeds is the fact it set out quite nicely for various circuits. I also know Leeds pretty well, having worked there most of my life.

Realistically, we could spend all day in the centre, but you shouldn't miss the Garden Gate in Hunslet, the local equivalent of The Barton Arms[/URL]
    Would be good to see you Andy!

Yeah, Leeds is almost a two-day crawl in itself (now there's a thought......!). I'd certainly like to grab a couple of outliers in good company so your suggestion suits me fine!

So for a trip to Leeds on Thursday and/or Friday, we have so far:

Quinno
    RobCAMRA
    Ale & Hearty
    Old Boots
    Gill and Ray (potentially).

Shaping up nicely

This might be of interest. Don't think we will make this meet up. Sorry.

Three Tuns, Dronfield (Hallowes Estate) - opens 7pm Friday 5th August with beers from Spire Brewery and guests (10 handpumps). Pub is a 10 minute walk from Dronfield station or on Stagecoach bus routes 43/44/44A from Sheffield and Chesterfield. Pub previously known as the Hallowes.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    This might be of interest. Don't think we will make this meet up. Sorry.

Three Tuns, Dronfield (Hallowes Estate) - opens 7pm Friday 5th August with beers from Spire Brewery and guests (10 handpumps). Pub is a 10 minute walk from Dronfield station or on Stagecoach bus routes 43/44/44A from Sheffield and Chesterfield. Pub previously known as the Hallowes.
    That is VERY much of interest! Cheers Gill.

This Space For Hire

There is a music and real ale festival just north of York on Bank Holiday weekend Quinno..headlined by Charlatans and with 100+ non-fizzy ales. http://www.galtresfestival.org.uk/beers-ciders.cfm

Once you've got a definite itinerary I'll try and fit it in

OK so far there's the Big Friday Meet-up, and potentially catching A&H at Wakefield on the Tuesday.

So, logistics!

I will arrive Leeds station at 11:18, so lets use that as the benchmark. Shall we all meet in the Brewery Tap? Not been there yet

My latest departure looks to be 18:05, so we'll need to be back from the 'burbs at a sensible time.

In terms of intinerary, I lay myself open to the Professional Northerners to sort that out

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

I will arrive Leeds station at 11:18, so lets use that as the benchmark. Shall we all meet in the Brewery Tap? Not been there yet

My latest departure looks to be 18:05, so we'll need to be back from the 'burbs at a sensible time.

In terms of intinerary, I lay myself open to the Professional Northerners to sort that out
    Brewery Tap is a good place to start. V.easy to find, turn right on leaving the main entrance opposite the barriers and it's on the corner of the driveway, about 100 yards away. If you're leaving just after 6, we'll have to make some tough choices. If The Garden Gate is a definite, then I'd suggest a swifty in the Tap and then head for the bus station via The Duck & Drake and The Palace. The 110s to Hunslet run about every ten minutes. Once back in the centre, you're pretty much only ten minutes from the station wherever we are.

My picks, based on beer choice, would be The Grove, Hop, Mr Foleys and Veritas. Based on interiors, I'd say The Victoria, Whitelocks and possibly The Adelphi. I'm sure there'll be some serous discussion about what's unmissable!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I wouldn't argue with anything on your list A&H, other possiblities are of course the Scarborough, Cross Keys, Midnight Bell and North.

There are also the 12 and 13 buses which go to Hunslet centre every 10 mins and which stop in Vicar Lane U7 ( handy for North/Templar even Reliance), New Market St K4 (nice and central and close to the Tap) and Meadow Lane T10 (handy for Adelphi) they also stop in Meadow Lane T12 and New Briggate N1 coming back from Hunslet.

The Brewery Tap sounds like a good place to meet, it has to be there or the Scarborough really, I hope no-one was going to suggest the White Rose
    Last edited by oldboots; 19-08-2011 at 18:39.

Beginning to wish we could come really as we have been to a lot of the ones mentioned on our Leeds crawl a year or two back. Have a great time.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.