Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birmingham Nicholson's

Spritzer Swallower

Default Birmingham Nicholson's

I'm quite impressed with M&B creating Nicholson's in Birmingham. I'm hoping to get to the latest - The Shakespeare on Summer Row - in the next couple of weeks - has anyone been yet & how does it compare

DR

I've only been past it on the bus since it was refurbed - it has that distinctive black and gold Nicholson's exterior
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by DannyO'Revey View Post
    I'm quite impressed with M&B creating Nicholson's in Birmingham. I'm hoping to get to the latest - The Shakespeare on Summer Row - in the next couple of weeks - has anyone been yet & how does it compare
    Walked past it the other day, but didn't have time to pop in before catching my train.

I also walked past one of the other three Nicholson's pubs in Birmingham - to be found in Lower Temple Street and confusingly-named The Shakespeare!

Then, of course, there is the Old Contemptibles and the Bacchus Bar (Burlington Arcade).

PS - Neither of the first two to be confused with the contemptible old Shakespeare bar inside New Street Station!
    Last edited by rpadam; 04-07-2011 at 20:47.

Spritzer Swallower

I like Bacchus, but they seem to have less choice than the others - something to do with them being underground & lack of space? I have high hopes for the (new) Shakespeare & will have to try it soon. The 3rd Shakey, on the station, will hopefully be destroyed as part of the New Street refurb...

Quote Originally Posted by DannyO'Revey View Post
    I like Bacchus, but they seem to have less choice than the others - something to do with them being underground & lack of space? I have high hopes for the (new) Shakespeare & will have to try it soon. The 3rd Shakey, on the station, will hopefully be destroyed as part of the New Street refurb...
    Shakey number 3 is dire. It was called the Bridge until fairly recently. It's an insult to the great bard to take his name and put it to this mediocre attempt at a station tap
    Waes hael!

Spritzer Swallower

lol, indeed!To have 3 pubs called the Shakespeare in central Birmingham is a bit rubbish really as well!

Well maybe some tourists are fooled into thinking that Stratford Upon Avon is in Birmingham, probably not helped by some hotel websites that take poetic licence in listing local attractions for Birmingham as Cadbury World, Alton Towers, Stratford Upon Avon, Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Buckingham Palace etc etc
    Waes hael!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

I am meeting some people at New Street Station this Friday and will check out the Nicholsons Shakespeare to see what ale they have on that evening.My boat is moored up outside The Flapper,and we are going to visit The Welly and possibly take a peek in the other GBG listed pubs nearby.If any of the PuG locals are around that evening and fancy a beer please contact me.

We are boating down to Stourport,Worcester and Gloucester and will be back in Brum on Thursday next week ,for a likely tour of Digbeth and a pilgrimage to The Bartons Arms.Again it would be good to see anyone who may be around.

Time is tight but I have three quarters of an hour or so on Friday from around 6.15 or I can do Thursday lunchtime next week ..... ?
    Waes hael!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    Well maybe some tourists are fooled into thinking that Stratford Upon Avon is in Birmingham, probably not helped by some hotel websites that take poetic licence in listing local attractions for Birmingham as Cadbury World, Alton Towers, Stratford Upon Avon, Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Buckingham Palace etc etc
    Not just the Hotels , when Birmingham tried for European City of Culture the city council tried to claim Ironbridge as part of Birmingham , they were politley told to **** off
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !