Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cask pub & kitchen and greene king

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    £8.00 for a Pint £3.95 for a Scotch Egg & £2.95 for A sausage Roll. Thats £20.00 for a couple of Pints & a Sausage Roll Its A bit too expensive for me.. Been the once it was OK but I would not go again as its a walk from the nearest station.
    £8 for a f**kin pint , i was moaning at £2.25 for a pint of Hobsons Mild last night , i am so glad i live up here
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Well, I've held off long enough.....

No one's forced to pay £8 for beer. The ale's at £3.45. OK, expensive for some but not, sadly, outrageous for London. And that expensive beer isn't Greene King IPA, it'll be Tripel Hop Black IPA from the Tiny Brewery of Smallville Arkansas (or similar). Not cheap stuff to get hold of I suspect and, if this sort of thing doesn't sell, the pub will be going out of business pretty quickly.

That it isn't suggests that there is a demand for something out of the ordinary, something unusual, maybe even a little challenging. Personally, I get more than a little tired of pubs that offer unimaginative ale in 3 shades of brown.

This is Central London we're talking about after all. If you don't like it, there's an alternative just a few minutes away (about 1 minute in Cask's case).
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

What Paul said.

The Tram was rather nasty, the Cask is not. People go out of their way to visit now, whereas they went out of their way to avoid previously.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

What rpadam said...
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I visited fairly early in its renaissance as Cask and was impressed with the beery direction Martin was taking the place, and he has continued to improve selection further, albeit at a price premium. That said, I've spent more than £3.45 in places with inferior choice and quality but, unlike Cask, only once! I suggested London Drinker and posted a positive review elsewhere - the first of many before a particularly nasty stream of trolling (unmoderated, of course) led to a de-listing - a pathetic kow-tow to the trolls, if you ask me, so it is good to see the achievement of poty and the very impressive turnover figures.

There was one bottle I heard ordered though, at ~£30, that had me reaching for the speciality menu. The 'unlabelled' Belgian turned out to be just 10.5% and I noted the name (can't recall it now). Googled it when back home and found that visitors to the monastery had to advise car license plate etc in advance to limit customers to no more than one crate per month, but the lucky ones on the list could buy a case (x24) of this same beer for ~28 euros!! Nice mark-up if you can get it...

Cool

The cask certainly seems to get peoples attention (trying to forget the dark side ). Main reason for posting was the involvement of greene king which i didn't know about. As a teuchter i look forward to visiting metropolises around the country and will go with the flow over pricing paying prices that would bring tears to the eyes of many in teuchterville.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Agree with Trainman. We only went to see the Cask however BECAUSE of all the things going on at the other site. I like to make my own mind up, and thoroughly enjoyed my visit. I also want to try the new bar, and will be adventurous and try something new. It is not as if I will be paying high prices every time I go to a bar, so it will be worth it for me. Will plan a day down to London, probably in September to go round the iconic bars.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    The Tram was rather nasty, the Cask is not. People go out of their way to visit now, whereas they went out of their way to avoid previously.
    I did'nt, i went in the Pimlico Tram and walked by the flats to get to the Pride of Pimlico and i travelled all the way from Nottingham to do these pubs as well as several other pubs on my crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I did'nt, i went in the Pimlico Tram and walked by the flats to get to the Pride of Pimlico and i travelled all the way from Nottingham to do these pubs as well as several other pubs on my crawl.
    I think you're a pretty unusual case, in fairness!