Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A Pair of Wellingtons and a Shovel

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    When I did the SVR I went to the 'down the hill' Harbour Inn at Arley but not the uphill 'bit of a trek' Ye Old New Inn. Did a couple of pubs in Brignorth, apart from the one at the station I remember the Golden Lion, couple of pints of Snecklifter and roast beef rolls watching rugby and chatting to the locals, very friendly pub. I think they may do accommodation if anyone is looking to stay over.
    They definitely do accomodation as I've stayed there twice and it's pretty comfortable for a pub.

I couldn't do all the good pubs in one visit. So I did High Town one visit and Low Town on the next. High Town wins overall in my opinion.

Jeff at the Lion is a canktankerous old sod with an evil sense of humour at times, but he knows how to keep good ale, I like him!
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I visited The George in Bewdly with the mrs last summer. Good pub, the bar is long and narrow with wood paneled walls. Very popular with locals and visitors hence busy in the summer.JDWs have had it for about two years. Great fish and chips in town down by the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Great fish and chips in town down by the bridge.
    Oh aye.. Great chippy! Easily one of best Chippy I ever had. I take you are talking about The Merchant by the bridge.. http://www.bewdley.actinet.net/merchantfishbar/main.htm
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Never been a great fan of fish & chips, they fill a spot, but not my first choice. On my recent holiday to Tenby though went to D Fecci & Son, my goodness my mouth is watering now just thinking about it, best chips I have ever tasted and the fish just melted in the mouth with a lovely crispy batter. We don't run a chippy review site, but that place almost earned itself a spot on the site. To be honest it deserved it more than the pubs we went in, the Tenby House Hotel was quite good (would have loved it when I was younger), but no real stand out pubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Never been a great fan of fish & chips, they fill a spot, but not my first choice. On my recent holiday to Tenby though went to D Fecci & Son, my goodness my mouth is watering now just thinking about it, best chips I have ever tasted and the fish just melted in the mouth with a lovely crispy batter. We don't run a chippy review site, but that place almost earned itself a spot on the site. To be honest it deserved it more than the pubs we went in, the Tenby House Hotel was quite good (would have loved it when I was younger), but no real stand out pubs.
    Best fish and chips I ever had goes to The Magpie at Whitby. Ohhh... that curry sauce over Fish & Chips. MMMMMMM. I want go back and order extra large! http://www.magpiecafe.co.uk/
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Best fish & chips I had was in a pub, the Three Tuns in Great Bedwyn http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/41606/ pic of fish & chips on PG [and it is shandy alongside, driving duties that day]

Owned I believe by daughter of General Sir Mike Jackson, who now lives in the village and his chef is is the cook here, or at least she was when I went
    Last edited by Farway; 15-01-2010 at 14:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Best fish & chips I had was in a pub, the Three Tuns in Great Bedwyn http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/41606/ pic of fish & chips on PG [and it is shandy alongside, driving duties that day]

Owned I believe by daughter of General Sir Mike Jackson, who now lives in the village and his chef is is the cook here, or at least she was when I went
    Bit bizarre showing fish and chips on PG! Looks very tasty..

I'll think I am going to Fish and Chips later on..

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    We don't run a chippy review site, but that place almost earned itself a spot on the site. To be honest it deserved it more than the pubs we went in
    Perhaps we could find a place for 'Zacks Fish and Chips Restaurant' in Newport, Salop. They do a fair, and generous, helping of grub, and will even serve you bitter or lager. The beers nothing special and I have no idea where it comes from but it serves to settle the dust in a way Coke can't manage. Me, I'd give 'em four stars mainly because they're the only place in Newport serving decent grub at ten o'clock on a Sunday night.
    Strength to their elbow...
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Yes Hoppy its the Merchant. Conrad there are so many places serving so-so fish and chips but good ones are thing of beauty. The price of Cod has made cheaper types usual in chip shops but they just ain't the same. Cooking often spoils a good piece of fish. Thick batter which is still soggy when served, overcooked leaving fish like leather and burnt batter. I know you cannot buy really good fish and chips in my town.The one you mention in Tenby I have used and it is excellent. Some on the south west coast are great. Sorry Farway I did not make a note of them. (I do remember those sold at the Spice Island, Portsmouth...Great ) Never been up the north coast and I believe that is my loss.
    Cod or Haddock and chips served in fish and chip restaurant with a pot of tea and bread and butter.HHHMMMMMM ! Followed by a stretch of the legs to a good pub and some ale. Heaven.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    The George is our friend, JDW Outlet.
    I picked up a copy of the Jan/Feb Wetherspoon News today and there's a full page feature on The George Hotel Bewdley. It seems they are still running it as a hotel and have 20 rooms. £44 a night, not a bad deal for a little stopover.

NB - sorry to drift the thread from Fish & Chips
    Last edited by Millay; 17-01-2010 at 20:05.