Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Pair of Wellingtons and a Shovel

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Wow, thanks for all the welcome messages, I feel at home already.

Not sure about who's the last to welcome me but looking at these names I appear to be the last 'refugee' to join up .... so far.

Edit : and thankfully now got enough posts to get rid of that Teetotaller tag
    Last edited by Millay; 13-01-2010 at 21:01.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Soupy has been known to look at an Archive as a clue
    Got it now, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    One I have in mind is a stopover in Brighton, there is a 700 service from Southsea to Brighton, takes 4 hours, hence the night stopover or else get off at the Pavilion, have a pint & catch next bus back with legs crossed
    Brighton definitely warrants a stopover, too many good pubs for just a day trip. The Travelodge is cheap and well located, it is one of their worst though

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    I have to travel to Hereford, Worcester, or Leominster by country bus to reach a station .
    Have you done the Severn Valley Railway? I did it a few years ago and remember excellent platform pubs at both ends, plus stopped off at Bewdley and also Arley where there was a pub called The Harbour just down the road from the station.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post

Hey Millay, I'm not a great train user but I hope to change that this year, starting with the winter beer fest next week.
    I was hoping to make a trip myself as I have a couple of days holiday carried over from last year. Not sure I trust this weather though, plus I've left it so late that my diary is starting to fill up with meetings. Might make Manchester for St Paddys Day though.

Thanks again to all

Hey Millay..

You stopped off at Bewdley? I wondered where did you go? I asked cos I did pub crawl back in October.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Hey Millay..

You stopped off at Bewdley? I wondered where did you go? I asked cos I did pub crawl back in October.
    That's a challenge to the old memory, it was more than 3 years ago. I think one was called the George. Just looked back through some photos and another was the Cock & Magpie alongside the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    That's a challenge to the old memory, it was more than 3 years ago. I think one was called the George. Just looked back through some photos and another was the Cock & Magpie alongside the river.
    By jove! Your memory serves you well! The George is our friend, JDW Outlet and Cock & Magpipe is now trendy and studenty bar.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

By jove! Your memory serves you well! The George is our friend, JDW Outlet and Cock & Magpipe is now trendy and studenty bar.
    Things have changed then. I don't remember the George being a JDW, is it a recent acquisition maybe, or possibly I have the wrong pub. I do remember the Cock & Magpie as a bit of a run down place, almost on it's last legs, they must have spent some money on it.

If I've worked out how to do it properly there should be a photo attached. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First 111.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	926.0 KB 
ID:	112

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    Things have changed then. I don't remember the George being a JDW, is it a recent acquisition maybe, or possibly I have the wrong pub. I do remember the Cock & Magpie as a bit of a run down place, almost on it's last legs, they must have spent some money on it.

If I've worked out how to do it properly there should be a photo attached. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First 111.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	926.0 KB 
ID:	112
    It has now spunced up and smarted up with wooden floors, tables, chairs.. well pretty everywhere.

The George..

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Eddie , train travel does not appear to be of the day tripper variety in your area. Always wanted to try that mid Wales but how many of those halts have pubs ? I have to travel to Hereford, Worcester, or Leominster by country bus to reach a station . After wending our way through endless country lanes on uncomfortable buses designed for town use takes the enjoyment out of travel these days. Oh for National Express.
    I've found that - the pub just outside the Abergavenny train station isn't the greatest for ale - the last time I recall actually having a drink in there it was Guinness. At least Hereford has a couple of good pubs (never a bad pint in the , Barrels to name 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Yeah me and Dave were trying to work out how to train it to Hay-on-Wye and gave up and decided that when we go it will have to be in a car.
    Let me know when your planning to come up - I'll book a day off and give you the grand tour, although see below...

Went to Hay On Wye in 2005 and 2007. Mecca for bookworms just like me! Pity about pubs and it is rather average for pub crawls.
    I'm a big believer in more good pubs in an area = more trade for all. For example, if every pub in Hay was in the GBG, we'd become a 'mecca' for ale drinkers. 2007 was when we'd just taken over (Nov 06 - your all invited for the 5th anniversary next year!)

I'm looking forward to the next two years - sadly 10HPs doesn't look possible, so we may have to settle for 9, or even 8 The brewery should be up and running by the end of this year, and this years beer festival already has a few of the rooms booked out for the weekend! (Last weekend in September)

Just recalled - 2007 we would have had 2 ales, or 3 in peak times. This December we had at least 4 on every day!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

The Severn Valley Railway is a cracker for a crawl , The Railwaymans is one of the best pubs anywhere , The King and Castle is good , theres the 2 pubs at Hampton Loade and if your feeling energetic theres 2 pubs in Arley , The Harbour down the hill and Ye Olde New Inn up it , but its a bit of a trek . Then theres all the great pubs in Bridgenorth and Bewdley aint to bad either , can`t comment on Kiddiminster as i`ve not done it yet , another one for the list though i drive through regularly and it looks like Bankss overkill

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    The Severn Valley Railway is a cracker for a crawl , The Railwaymans is one of the best pubs anywhere , The King and Castle is good , theres the 2 pubs at Hampton Loade and if your feeling energetic theres 2 pubs in Arley , The Harbour down the hill and Ye Olde New Inn up it , but its a bit of a trek . Then theres all the great pubs in Bridgenorth and Bewdley aint to bad either , can`t comment on Kiddiminster as i`ve not done it yet , another one for the list though i drive through regularly and it looks like Bankss overkill
    When I did the SVR I went to the 'down the hill' Harbour Inn at Arley but not the uphill 'bit of a trek' Ye Old New Inn. Did a couple of pubs in Brignorth, apart from the one at the station I remember the Golden Lion, couple of pints of Snecklifter and roast beef rolls watching rugby and chatting to the locals, very friendly pub. I think they may do accommodation if anyone is looking to stay over.