Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Pair of Wellingtons and a Shovel

Hybrid View

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Default A Pair of Wellingtons and a Shovel

This topic has nothing to do with the current weather conditions but relates to a long distance pub crawl I undertook on the Saturday after New Year. London Midland trains were offering a Great Escape deal where you could travel anywhere on their network for £10, the weather looked OK so I got myself a ticket. The initial plan was to head for Bletchley and pick up the Marston Vale line to Bedford and spend the day working my way back stopping off at a few stations for a pint or two. However research showed that none of the stations had pubs remotely close to them, and Bletchley was pretty uninspiring, so I looked further along the mainline. Here's how the day finally panned out.

After a bacon sandwich and a mug of tea I caught the 8:01 from Watford Junction to Northampton and changed for a Birmingham train arriving shortly after 10:00, just in time for first orders at the Wellington. It had been a couple of years since my last visit but nothing much had changed, all bar two of the pumps were on and those were soon being pulled through. Not sure if it's a regular offer but the Black Country beers were only £1.70 a pint before 1pm. Usual clientele, I reckon this pub must serve more halves than pints. As I was thirsty after two hours on the train I managed 3 and a half pints in about an hour. Wye Valley HPA, Black Country Pig on the Wall Mild, Slaters Top Totty and York Three Kings (a little like their excellent Centurions Ghost).

No time to hang around though, back to New Street for the 11:33 train, arriving at Northampton at 12:35. I'd lined up the Malt Shovel here, about the only decent pub I could find during my research. To save time, and as I wasn't sure where it was I grabbed a cab from the station. On telling the cabbie what I was up to he told me Northampton was a shite town. "For real ale pubs?" I enquired, "well the whole place really, I'm from Manchester" he said. He did recommend a pub called the Romany but it was too far away to do both. On arriving at the Malt Shovel I realised my usual thorough research had let me down, I usually check for football fixtures but had forgotten Northampton was a big rugby town and the pub was packed with supporters on their way to the game with London Irish. The bar was woefully understaffed but at least they knew it and were remarkably efficient under the circumstances, none of your JDW trainees here. Excellent ale pub and I had an RCH Pitchfork, a Newby Wyke White Squall and the local Frog Island Natterjack.

A fifteen minute walk back to the station and time to grab a sandwich before getting the 14:25 train. Switched trains at Bletchley and took the 45 minute trip on the Marston Vale line to Bedford. Time against me again so I got a cab to the second Wellington of the day. I'd been to this Banks & Taylor pub once before and always intended to go back. An excellent ale house that thanks to the low ceiling and brewery ephemera takes on an almost grotto like feel in the evening. Had a pint of Black Dragon Mild, a Nethergate Old Growler and half of something I can't remember. Was getting towards full time in the FA Cup games now so headed off to the Pilgrims Progess (JDW) to check the scores and have a pint of Ringwood Fortyniner.

At this point my carefully planned timetable went astray as I lost my way on the way to the station. Stopped for a pint of Eagle IPA in a pub called the Ship and picked up a bag of chips (this NY diet is going well) for the walk to the station and the 18:25 train. Bletchley is a godforsaken concrete jungle a bit like Milton Keynes so I just switched to the mainline and headed towards home. Stopped off at Berkhamsted where I had a 30 minute window to find the Rising Sun, a pub that I'd been to twice before - and it was closed both times. This time thankfully it was open and I sunk a pint of the Riser (?) house beer before rushing back to the station.

Arrived back at Watford at 20:15, more or less 12 hours after I left. I reckon I spent as much time on trains as I did in pubs (thank heavens for on-board toilets) but it was a good day and achieved the objective of 'A Pair of Wellingtons and a Shovel'.

Any more long distance train crawlers out there?

First of all, welcome to PG!

It was quite amusing to read I must say!

I was never long distance train crawler, mostly on bus transports which can take me to more remote locations which train cannot. I tend to travel around Midlands like our regular forumer, Soup Dragon. I am regular visitor to Wellys in Brum and it is quite amazing real ale pub. Shame you didnt visit The Old Joint Stock, you can exit back door of Wellys and enter The Old Joint Stock back door in few seconds! The Old Joint Stock is most northerly Fuller's pub and transformed from bank to pub.

One thing I ask you, you are JDW lover or hater? Just making sure..

Anyway hope you enjoy PG forum!

Hoppy (thats my nickname)
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Hello Millay and welcome to P G . See your writing is still up to the same high standard. Lots of names here you will recognize and being an easy going place Conrad, the mod, has little to do but support a football team in Bristol and eat prawn sandwiches. Your south coast tour convinced me a net book was worthwhile. Just wish JDWs internet connection would work more often. Again glad to see you and hope you become one of regular contributors........Arkrite......sorry its now Arwkrite....just don't ask ,lifes to short.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Hello Millay and welcome to P G . See your writing is still up to the same high standard. Lots of names here you will recognize and being an easy going place Conrad, the mod, has little to do but support a football team in Bristol and eat prawn sandwiches. Your south coast tour convinced me a net book was worthwhile. Just wish JDWs internet connection would work more often. Again glad to see you and hope you become one of regular contributors........Arkrite......sorry its now Arwkrite....just don't ask ,lifes to short.
    Cheers Ark...Awk...whatever, I recognised your avatar anyway. Good luck with the net book.

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    First of all, welcome to PG!

One thing I ask you, you are JDW lover or hater? Just making sure..
    Thanks for the welcome Hoppy. I have been to the Old Joint Stock but didn't have time on this visit. Another favourite Birmingham pub is the Prince of Wales.

As for JDW I'd have to say I'm a lover. I'm a very modest shareholder so have to look after my investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    Thanks for the welcome Hoppy. I have been to the Old Joint Stock but didn't have time on this visit. Another favourite Birmingham pub is the Prince of Wales.

As for JDW I'd have to say I'm a lover. I'm a very modest shareholder so have to look after my investment.

I am very proud to say I am biggest JDW fan on this forum Our boss here, Conrad HATES JDW!

Oh Prince Of Wales, Cambridge St behind Symphony hall.. I know that pub and cracking pub!

EDIT: wrong place!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I am very proud to say I am biggest JDW fan on this forum Our boss here, Conrad HATES JDW!
    I hope I never have to give a pitch to JDW asking for sponsorship, I am going to have to do some serious talking on that day

Hi Millay,

I seem to be one of the last ones in here to welcome you. Not a lot to add to the warm welcome everyone else has extended, just to say myself and Dave M are the administrators of this forum and the PG site, so if you have any problems just ask. Also if you see anything you think would improve the site just let me know as we want to make this site the best we can.

Hope you enjoy your stay

I am very proud to say I am biggest JDW fan on this forum
    I'm not at all sure you can say that anymore, not now I'm here.
    As everyone else has said, Millay, nice to see you here...........
    Last edited by runningdog; 13-01-2010 at 12:21. Reason: Me fingers again.........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Hi Millay good to see you over here and that's a cracking piece to start on.

As Soupy says I am that anorak. I often use trains for crawls, as you say thank god for on board toilets. I don't think I can equal your Brum-Northampton - Bedford exploits but being near the East Coast Main Line does give access to a lot of places, although Edinburgh isn't really a day trip, mores the pity.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

looks like I'm the last to welcome you Millay

I never use trains as nearest station is about an hour away on the bus. However buses I often use, with the old codgers bus pass, unfortunately no toilets on buses thus limited areas before changing buses

One I have in mind is a stopover in Brighton, there is a 700 service from Southsea to Brighton, takes 4 hours, hence the night stopover or else get off at the Pavilion, have a pint & catch next bus back with legs crossed
    Last edited by Farway; 12-01-2010 at 14:54. Reason: tryo