Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: The Wild Duck, Marden Thorn, Tonbridge, Kent -- reported 'closed again'

Teetotal

Default The Wild Duck, Marden Thorn, Tonbridge, Kent -- reported 'closed again'

Hi, I'm new to this forum so apologies if I'm in the wrong place - but I looked up a particular pub, the Wild Duck and came across this forum and a post: 'Wild Duck, Marden - Closed

Unfortunately, this country pub is now closed (again...):

For any interested readers, my granddad ran this pub during WWII and into the 70's. It was called The Brickmakers Arms, and like so many, new owners changed the name. But they did renovate it nicely and introduced food - in former times it was very original and had only beer from bottles or from barrels in the cellar, no pumps, and nothing else much, ie a bench in the bar and that's about it! And he opened it when he felt like it! However, on my last visit to England from Australia, I took my mum there and, alas, it was boarded up and closed. And so it still is I believe. I hope someone takes it on so it doesn't join the growing number of closed down pubs in England.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigal View Post
    Hi, I'm new to this forum so apologies if I'm in the wrong place - but I looked up a particular pub, the Wild Duck and came across this forum and a post: 'Wild Duck, Marden - Closed

For any interested readers, my granddad ran this pub during WWII and into the 70's. It was called The Brickmakers Arms, and like so many, new owners changed the name. But they did renovate it nicely and introduced food - in former times it was very original and had only beer from bottles or from barrels in the cellar, no pumps, and nothing else much, ie a bench in the bar and that's about it! And he opened it when he felt like it! However, on my last visit to England from Australia, I took my mum there and, alas, it was boarded up and closed. And so it still is I believe. I hope someone takes it on so it doesn't join the growing number of closed down pubs in England.
    Unfortunately, it is indeed closed (and has been for a couple of years).

The current owners recently applied for planning permission to convert and extend it into two houses. This was refused (more on grounds of additional development than the basic pricinple of loss of a community amenity) and is not subject to an appeal.

If you want to find out more, the reference on the Maidstone Borough Council website is MA/11/0493...

Teetotal

Default Wild Duck, Marden.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigal View Post

I've just stumbled across your forum.
    I was looking up information about the wild duck, also known as the Bricklayers Arms, at Marden Thorne, Kent.
    I was also told that my Great Grandfather "Tree" ran the pub - could there be a connection? - if so it would be interesting to hear more.
    My late mum mentioned she had an uncle who emigrated to Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by treetop View Post
    I've just stumbled across your forum.
    I was looking up information about the wild duck, also known as the Bricklayers Arms, at Marden Thorne, Kent.
    I was also told that my Great Grandfather "Tree" ran the pub - could there be a connection? - if so it would be interesting to hear more.
    My late mum mentioned she had an uncle who emigrated to Australia.
    To find out more about the history of the Wild Duck, you may wish to contact the Marden History Group via history@mardenhistory.org.uk