Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pub Of The Month - June 2011

Default Pub Of The Month - June 2011

It's going to be one hell of a decision for me this month.

The Grove, Cross Keys, Midnight Bell, The Hop all in Leeds are in with a shout already.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I'll stay on me own

My pub of the month is The Stamford Arms in Groby.

The pub has been opened out but i really liked the layout and atmosphere of this pub and there were six real ales on the bar mainly from Everards as it is an Everards tied house.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

My Pub of the Month is going to be the The Bhurtpore Inn friendly pub with a great selection of beer from golden to very dark and 2 milds , one of those pubs that deserves at least a couple of hours if not at least half a day , exellent
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    My Pub of the Month is going to be the The Bhurtpore Inn
    Long time top of my random to-do mission list, and I believe the train to Wrenbury is request stop only. I'll make it some day...

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

There is a camp site and moorings for narrowboats just up the road from the station behind the Cotton Inn. We have stayed on the campsite for their excellent beer fests a couple of times, and can walk to the Bhurtpore. Wrenbury is a request stop, but is well used on beer fest days.
    Last edited by gillhalfpint; 27-06-2011 at 10:24. Reason: second attempt to correct spelling error.

Still a few days to go, but the only pub visit planned before the end of the month is to The Baum, which would be my Pub Of The Year every year.

This months winner is going to be The Grove in Holbeck, Leeds. A true survivor and a fantastic pub.

The Grove Inn
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    This months winner is going to be The Grove in Holbeck, Leeds. A true survivor and a fantastic pub.

The Grove Inn
    Certainly no arguments from me ROB, definitely one of my all time favourites. When I was there a couple of weeks ago, listening to the fabulous Irish music, in the back room, with pint in hand, I thought it doesn't get much better than this.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Despite being the last pub on a Stockport/Manchester combo circuit (amid typical local weather), I'll go for the Marble Arch. Very quiet on this occasion (a blessed change from match day!) but this enabled a proper view of the place (or a proper as it can be after a gallon+) and the beers were so, so good.

Obvious contenders would have been my beloved Crown (but it can't have the gong every time I'm up, can it?), Olde Vic, and even George (for continued reliability for fine ale selection and condition). A new pub to me, despite proximity to Crown, was Ye Olde Woolpack, not architecturally notable but a cider house (x16) and 7 ale pumps.

Oops, forgot Rusper's Royal Oak which deserves its place on any month's shortlist, not as locally buzzy as my last visit, but welcoming nevertheless. A bugger to get to, and the weather had drowned my cross-country plan from Kingsfold (although that, strictly speaking, would have been beyond the Horsham plusbus area), so my bĂȘte noire of taxis(!) were the order of the day.
    Last edited by trainman; 30-06-2011 at 08:17.

In fairness, I think I ought to jointly nominate those various Marstons, M&B and Youngs pubs who have sent out 'free pint' vouchers during June...

In one case, there were four separate promotions from a single pub - keep up the good work chaps!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Still a few days to go, but the only pub visit planned before the end of the month is to The Baum, which would be my Pub Of The Year every year.

The Grove Inn
    I work next door to there. We have a lot of real ale drinkers in my workplace and for one reason or t'other tend to skip it for The Hop.

The reasons, well I should give them. I find as younger drinkers we get passed over at the bar. Not sure why, but it certainly happens.

There's also a lack of nice hoppy pale ales - whereas the Hop as an Ossett and Fernandes house does these very well.

I'm sorry but having a dog running around trying to trip you up does not help out either.