Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memories ....

Default Memories ....

The recent "Nostalgia" thread got me thinking. I don't really remember buying my first pint.I was drinking in pubs from an early age, well before I left school I am ashamed to say

I do remember drinking in here quite a lot in those days - http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38269/

My drink of choice was Tennents Extra on draught - you don't see that very often now

If I was a bit short of cash it was Springfield Bitter at 69p a pint

The gaffers - Don and Audrey - knew full well we were way underage but it didn't seem to matter in those days. In fact it was almost unheard of to be turned away or even asked my age.

Cheers,

Del.

My drink of choice was Tennents Extra on draught - you don't see that very often now

Oh yeah I remember it in Tam'o'Shanter in Tamworth many years ago.. it was pretty awful and tasted like stale urine!

Before I discovered Real ales, Carling Premier or Castlemine XXXX was my choices.. Now you dont see them much nowdays.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

We used to buy bottles of Newcastle Brown from the off sales hatch (any pubs still got these) at the Fountain in Wrockwardine Wood , right opposite the school while still in school uniform .

Started drinking here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32206/ sorry no photo.The beer was Double Diamond and the lager was gawd knows what. Copies of The Watch Tower and bags of cockles on a Friday night. No real night clubs then but the Music Hall, big hotels and pubs would put on dances of one sort or another.Lord was I ever that young ?

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Started drinking here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32206/ sorry no photo.The beer was Double Diamond and the lager was gawd knows what. Copies of The Watch Tower and bags of cockles on a Friday night. No real night clubs then but the Music Hall, big hotels and pubs would put on dances of one sort or another.Lord was I ever that young ?
    Know it well , its a Bankss pub these days , much better than the over hyped Boathouse and gets some very classy ladies in there during the summer

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    I don't really remember buying my first pint.
    I don't remeber where I drank my first pint, it was a hellavu long time ago, but I do remember the first one I bought. It was in the summer of 1950 at a little pub in rural Dorset, the Cross Keys, Mannington. The circumstances are a long, unimportant story.
    Probably looking a lot more confident than I felt, I sashayed up to the bar and put me money down.
    'What'll it be' the landlord asks.
    'Pint of dark, please', at least I knew better than to call him John.
    'Coming up' as he pushes the glass my way, I push me money to him. He grins, covers my hand with his, asks 'How old did you say you were, lad'
    'Sixteen, sir' I'm nervous now.
    'Funny that, I'd swear you're Granfer said fourteen' I didn't know he and me Grandad were drinking buddys.
    That incident got back to me Gran, the lectures went on for months, she knew about the 'evils of drink' did me Gran. Of course, only three and a half years later I was being taught how to kill folk and was expected to get drunk on a regular basis. Heigh ho, those were the days.
    I have no idea what it was I bought, I only asked for 'dark' cos it was what me Grandad drank. The brewery or even what the beer tasted like I have no idea.
    A thought for anyone visiting my area, the Cross Keys is a treasure, one of Englands truly unique pubs. A must..........
    Cheers anyone...... have you no beds to go to
    Last edited by runningdog; 09-01-2010 at 01:35. Reason: Forgot to read it through, and it is getting late
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Know it well , its a Bankss pub these days , much better than the over hyped Boathouse and gets some very classy ladies in there during the summer
    I used to drink at the Hen and Chickens just down the road.The last time I was in Shrewsbury, about 3 years ago, the Chickens was closed. It had been modernised and turned into an eatery type pub some years before. It was a snug and public bar place when I drank there in the '60s as was the Crown in those days.The fish and chip shop in Coleham was one of the best.

My first official pint would have been c1977 in the North Star in Chessington. I would only have been about 16 but would have looked older (unlike today of course where I look so much younger). No idea what it was - I would probably have just asked for " a pint of beer please" immediately exposing my naivety and arousing a few private sniggers around those congregated at the bar. The scariest thing was seeing all my schoolmates dads in there getting p*ssed and smoking away and swearing their heads off, totally in contrast to the sedate and sanitised home life I had always known them for.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    ....right opposite the school while still in school uniform .
    school uniform yes we used to do that as well at 15, pints of guinness in my case but I can't beat opposite the school

My first pint in a pub was probably Guinness in either The Baddesley Arms or the Bedes Lea near Southampton, it would have cost about 18p. My first pint of real ale was Whitbread Trophy (or Atrophy as it was usually called ) at the White Horse Ampfield before seeing the light and going on to Gales. First time on the HSB was in the Bay Tree opposite my further education college in Southampton. Luckily our morning tea break coincided with opening time

Real Ale Drinker

Lovely to read all the posts,certainly brings back fond memories,i can remember necking bottles of barley wine and cheap wine before heading to the dance hall, then i found my favourite tipple a good pint of mild,sadly hard to get in the south, i think i have tried every beer a boozer can offer,but stick to lager because of the mild shortage, i also like a guinness, infact i like any beer, not allowed whiskey used to love JD but wife makes me stay away from it,as i get older i do not really bother now mainly due to smoking ban and sky,when i can sit in my own house and do what i want without being treated like a child, bring back the good old days please before we leave this world once and for all.