Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much money has been lost due to the weather.

Real Ale Drinker

Default How much money has been lost due to the weather.

I was having a cuppa this morning listening to the radio and all the sports fixtures being cancelled (well most) football,horse racing,golf and thought about the knock on effect this will have,look closer and the picture becomes bigger.

1/ The loss to train services taking people back and forth, Coach companies taking away supporters,burgar and hot food outlets at stadiums,match day programme sales,merchandising of goods.

2/ Using the car to travel, sale of fuel at forecourts,loss of shop sales ie buying a paper,tin of drink,sweets and gum.

3/ The pub trade,how many pints less sold, how many snacks, how many breakfasts and dinners, then the after match or race loss of ale and food trade.

Is it any wonder football clubs are going out of business, look at the further damage this will do to a club like Portsmouth,when they need a life-line this weather strikes and does more damage.

Does anyone else have any other business that will suffer apart from what i have added.

With today's footy off (was going to Dartford v Margate), I am now going to Greenwich for a daytime pub crawl. I need to do the Royal George before it closes its doors for good on 12 Jan and then visit a few that we haven't done for some time. Would have done all this last night but the trains stop running around 8'ish so would never have got home. It's gonna be cold but someone has to be responsible for keeping the pumps flowing. Off now. Toodle Pip.

Talking to a construction worker yesterday who has been unable to work since 3 days before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    With today's footy off (was going to Dartford v Margate
    My team Tamworth last played on 28th Dec and our next home game is not till 23rd Jan! God I need footie fix..

Even worse my other team Bolehall Swifts havent played ANY game since Dec 16th!

Looks like I am in for another week without football.

My local has suffered cashflow since heavy snow hit Tamworth on Tuesday. Only 2 customers ordered food on ENTIRE Thusday night and that was Curry Night, very popular with customers. Also Landlord told me that only 20 pints was served all day on Thursday. Many reserved tables had to be cancelled and forced to sell one real ale for just £1.55 to try entice people..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

There is the flip side, how much has been made? I saw on tele that sales of "comfort food" like pies, chocolate and even whisky had vastly increased, as no doubt has bread, milk and similar "shortages" caused by panic buying

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I know a few village pubs that have had busy weeks , to much hassle to get into town so lets go to the pub instead .

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    There is the flip side, how much has been made? I saw on tele that sales of "comfort food" like pies, chocolate and even whisky had vastly increased, as no doubt has bread, milk and similar "shortages" caused by panic buying
    I think this is it, the money just goes in a different direction, still gets spent eventually, or plugs a debt. What bothers me more is that businesses are running so close to the margin. There was a comment about simpler days in another post, I think businesses need looking back to simpler days as well. Rather than growing like mad and pleasing share-holders with 24 hour culture etc. they should be more ready to save for a rainy (snowy) day.

It is before my time, but it feels like we didn't always used to be running at full speed all the time, we could find time for the odd late night lock in?

Real Ale Drinker

Conrad that is a very good comment,what have we all become.

The media has a lot to answer for these days, fortitude, and living your life normally in somewhat difficult times, does not sell newspapers or fit into two minute TV bites. Alarmist headlines and yesterday's stretches of blocked motorways do. Simplistic weather forecasts that suggest the worst but do not reflect local truths are an everyday feature of life that distort judgement. All in all, to most folk today, the media is the message and the last thing you bothered to take note of is the truth.
    The 'Big Freeze' is a great headline, but, in reality it's just an old weather pattern reasserting itself. It's winter in Northern Europe, get used to it..........
    Last edited by runningdog; 09-01-2010 at 20:52.
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    I saw on tele that sales of "comfort food" like pies, chocolate and even whisky had vastly increased,
    I don't know whether we've spent more on comfort food, but we've certainly had a soup making and home baking frenzy at Chez Hearty. It's been like a WI convention. I'm munching a slice of date and walnut loaf as I type!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.