Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Pub Walk Books

Default Pub Walk Books

Having done some walks from the CAMRA book of Peak District Walks (I also have the Lake District version) by Bob Steel, I started looking for similar books covering other areas of countryside such as Yorkshire Dales, Yorkshire Moors, Exmoor, Norfolk, Wales, Scotland etc.

I have Pub Walks in Norfolk by Liz Moynihan which is a good book for family days out because the walks are between 2 and 6 miles and have the same start and finish point.

The Inn Way .... to the Yorkshire Dales by Mike Reid (he has a series of these books covering various areas) is one big circular walk that takes almost a week so is a bit too ambitious for an amateur like me.

Charles Wynne-Hammond has written a book called Pub Walks in Exmoor and North Devon (2008) but it's only on my wish list at the moment.

Can anybody recommend any similar books or authors that they have used?
    Waes hael!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Not used, but how about South Downs pub walks

or this one

Obviously may not be rugged or Northern enough but I reckon if time and funds prevailed a good week could be had

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Shropshire has some great pubs and is one of the best places for walkers so there are quite a few books about , a few are listed here amongst the more serious walking tomes http://www.bestwalks.com/shropshirebooks.htm , a lot of them are available in the local Tescos
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    I have Pub Walks in Norfolk by Liz Moynihan which is a good book for family days out because the walks are between 2 and 6 miles and have the same start and finish point.

Can anybody recommend any similar books or authors that they have used?
    One that we dipped into quite a lot when the kids were younger is Yorkshire Dales Walks With Children by Stephen Rickerby. Although not 'pub walks' as such, nearly all include pubs at some point and are listed in the summary. The walks themselves average about three miles and include activities for kids. Available from Amazon if you're interested.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    One that we dipped into quite a lot when the kids were younger is Yorkshire Dales Walks With Children by Stephen Rickerby. Although not 'pub walks' as such, nearly all include pubs at some point and are listed in the summary. The walks themselves average about three miles and include activities for kids. Available from Amazon if you're interested.
    Thanks for your suggestions. I have been on Amazon and bought a few so I'll look forward to road testing them.

Good pubs in Norfolk, by the way, but the landscape is flat and devoid of landmarks. I really like the place but the walking is a rather dull compared to the Peak District
    Waes hael!