Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sport and beer

This Space For Hire

Default Sport and beer

I find that a lot of my fellow pub-going friends choose a place to settle based on if the football/rugby league is being shown. However, most places that serve good beer tend to avoid showing live sport under pressure from CAMRA (or CAMRA members).

I wonder what fellow punters who post on here think about sport in pubs and bars?

I know from canvassing people at work that real ale interest and sport are definitely not mutually exclusive. In Leeds I often bump into people, without prior arrangement, in the two or three places that serve good beer and show live sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    However, most places that serve good beer tend to avoid showing live sport under pressure from CAMRA (or CAMRA members).
    Evidence?

I love sport, especially football, and I love watching it in the pub as I usually end up missing half the match as I get drawn into an interesting sport related conversation as the beer flows down. It is true that most pubs that pride themselves on real ale will not have Sky Sports as they do not need it to draw the punters in and maybe if BSB didn’t charge pubs extortionate amounts to show the football more ale pubs would have it. I do get irritated by comments from people that say pubs shouldn’t have TVs or music as a pub is a place to go for a chat. These people obviously have far more interesting friends than I do.

I agree that the average CAMRA member, based on the ones I have met, would baulk at the thought of watching Chelsea/Tottenham/Man U(re)/Arsenal v Brentford in the Champions League final. Maybe this is why they go to pubs that don’t have sport so they can talk about their interests rather than put up with the likes of me spilling my pint of boring Pride over the carpet whilst shouting out random clichés. This is the same reason why the majority of my mates wouldn’t last 5 minutes in the Southampton in Gospel Oak as they would think it boring and move on.

Give the punters what they want as not everyone wants to gargle the hoppyness and strangely not everyone wants to watch football.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

That is why I like multiroomed pubs as they can cater for sports lovers and those wanting a quiet pint or conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    That is why I like multiroomed pubs as they can cater for sports lovers and those wanting a quiet pint or conversation.
    I Couldn't agree more as it would give you a much larger customer base and a bigger appeal overall.
    I always find it a very stupid Idea when a Large pub is made into one large soulless bar and all internal walls removed. This gives you only one customer base instead of three.
    A few years ago a Pub near me the green man had three very Large Bars One with Pool tables Dart Board Large screens ETC. One with twigs Candles & food for the foodies & family's And one snug for drinkers reading in a quiet bar that was always full ?. the Pub was always busy in all bars. Then some smart Arse turned it into a one large gastro bar with twigs & candles and it lasted six months and has been closed ever since for the last 6 years with the occasional opening as another restaurant.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Personally I hate sport, large screen TVs, live music, juke boxes, darts, pool etc in pubs, or more precisely the mainly chavs f'ing & blinding as they participate / view

I go for a chat, beer or food. I am of course mostly disappointed, so tend to stick to lunchtimes when the rest of us grumpy old whingers are about and the juke box volume is off, the TV is on subtitles and normal, non digital life can exist in peace & quite, and pubs are populated by those who know they are are not on the mess deck & do not pepper every sentence with F this & that,
    Last edited by Farway; 14-06-2011 at 15:36.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Most of the Real Ale pubs i drink in are fairly small so having sky probally wouldnt pay , i dont mind watching a bit of sport in the pub but i still tend to end up in the no TV , no Jukebox just good banter type of pub .
    Acctually the local sports bar has up to 5 real ales on , though next door has 8 and two doors up has 10 and across the road has up to 13 , i tend only to pop in for one

Cricket was designed to be watched supping a good pint , whether on TV or live
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Good post, I like that too, which is why one of my favourite pubs, despite its "unremarkableness" in other respects, is the Steam Railway Company Inn in Swindon. It has a little alcove where the CAMRA members can be kept, while others can pop in for their real ale and then pop out for a bit of entertainment.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Good ale pubs with Sky are relatively rare. A couple that do it well down here, whilst maintaining a friendly atmosphere, are the Traf & Blythe Hill Tavern. Croydon's Green Dragon would fit the bill if fewer followers of the forces of darkness would pitch up for their half-pint-to-last-all-game, and the Cricketers would be great if the beer could be better kept more consistently.

Whatever happened to that landmark ruling, whereby a landlady was challenging Sky over her right to screen live football via a european feed?

ps. More locally to me, the Horns Tavern and the Hope do have Sky for lots of sport, but the former doesn't have real ale and the latter is a Youngs house, with occasional guest, and a recent annoying habit of screening everything in 3D.
    Last edited by trainman; 19-06-2011 at 09:19.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    .Whatever happened to that landmark ruling, whereby a landlady was challenging Sky over her right to screen live football via a european feed?
    As pub is sort of in my "patch", Red White & Blue, Southsea

It is sort of in legal limbo here and here

A non-binding opinion from advocate Juliane Kokott of the European Court of Justice said a block breached EU laws.