Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A friendly note about pictures

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Unhappy A friendly note about pictures

Sorry about this post. With the fantastic influx we are seeing at the moment we are seeing the revival of an old problem.

Please do only post pictures you own the copyright for. Where we become suspicious we will look around and see if we can find the submitted images elsewhere on the Internet - and refuse them if we find them elsewhere.

This is partly due to wanting to avoid prosecution for copyright infringement, which we do get occasionally threatened with, but also partly on an ethical basis. Whilst there is a copyright defence of fair use if it is published on the Internet when pictures are submitted to us we credit the poster, if the poster has just taken it from someone else's work without crediting them - well if it was my work being ripped off I wouldn't be happy.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular (and to be clear there is a lot more than 1 user doing this), and indeed if we have wrongly rejected your image just let us know so that we can try and ensure we don't do it again.

As ever if I have any of that wrong just let me know, I would rather you put me in my place than stop helping to improve the PG site.

Edit: I should just add, if you know of any photos we are displaying that we haven't spotted are in breach of copyright just let us know and we will address them.

I don't think you need to apologise, you need to take reasonable precautions to protect yourself from being sued and protect the site. There is a dialogue box asking the submitter to affirm they own the copyright before a photo uploads so it would be taken to be a deliberate act by them to mislead even if they didn't read the box, and some people don't .

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I'm not that apologetic about the content more the delivery, I swear the title should be 'a distinctly unfriendly post', 'a slap round the face for your efforts' or some other permutation. I remember I used to work in a location where the tea room was littered with 'Friendly reminders', horrible.

As you say the reminder is fairly important though, and I would prefer no one took offence at it.

Edit: Congratulations on the 250 posts as well, I think we are going to have to move the goal posts after the weekend as we have enough people past the magic 251 (You set your own title).

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post

Edit: Congratulations on the 250 posts as well, I think we are going to have to move the goal posts after the weekend as we have enough people past the magic 251 (You set your own title).
    Not again - thats 2 forums that have changed the rules before I hit the 250 mark! I think I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Here's a clue:

Congratulations on the 250 posts as well, I think we are going to have to move the goal posts after the weekend as we have enough people past the magic 251 (You set your own title).
    I wasn't actually aware of that point, I had wondered about Hopwas and Soup Dragon with their peculier tags, I suppose "daft old git" might be apt, I shall have to think about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    Not again - thats 2 forums that have changed the rules before I hit the 250 mark! I think I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
    You won't have time to "surrey" about not with a blog to write and a pub to put back together.

What are your plans for twigs?

Real Ale Drinker

Very good made my day,well done with the photo that is brilliant.

Oi, Conrad, give us a break, I don't want to be a 'spr----- -------', there, I couldn't even type such a gross calumny. Need a Beast...---, it didn't help. I need another---..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Just got the 250 in my sites but cannot think at the moment of another 20 rubbish post to make. Even I have my limits.

A word on my photos. Wherever I post them I retain the copyright but have no problem with others using them for any legal purpose. I refuse to sign any agreement which gives up my copyright which can sometimes be hidden in small print. Competitions were the worst offenders.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I wasn't actually aware of that point, I had wondered about Hopwas and Soup Dragon with their peculier tags, I suppose "daft old git" might be apt, I shall have to think about this.

You won't have time to "surrey" about not with a blog to write and a pub to put back together.

What are your plans for twigs?
    I'm planting a rainforest

The only wood in the place is going to be on the floor, walls, seats, tables, bar...

If you want twigs we've got a beer garden with trees and bushes

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    I'm planting a rainforest

The only wood in the place is going to be on the floor, walls, seats, tables, bar...

If you want twigs we've got a beer garden with trees and bushes
    Do you not use that listed fire then Ed?

Also as to post count, thats what smilies are for