Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: A West Riding Ramble

  1. #21
    I'll stay on me own runningdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    East Dorset
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    .... and ‘ob’ opted for Greenfield ‘Black Five’, !
    Somehow, 'ob' and a Black Five sound as if made for each other. Pity the brewery wasn't called Stanier
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

  2. #22
    Roving RAT ROBCamra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    4,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runningdog View Post
    Somehow, 'ob' and a Black Five sound as if made for each other. Pity the brewery wasn't called Stanier
    The beer itself used to be called Stanier Black 5 until they shortened the name !
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

  3. #23
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    4,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runningdog View Post
    Somehow, 'ob' and a Black Five sound as if made for each other. Pity the brewery wasn't called Stanier
    Outed as an anorak

    It's Cottage that have the particularly trainy names for their beers, I'm still waiting for one called "Bullied's Light Pacific".

    BTW beer of the week:- so far only one contender York Centurion's Ghost, but 3 days drinking to go
    .

    Tell us, now, how and when
    We may find the bravest men?
    A sure test, an easy test:
    Those that drink beer are the best

  4. #24
    This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Brilliant read A&H, you can keep those coming.

    You jogged my memory about the "Ugly Sisters" I seem to remember a pint of it lasted so long I lost interest in it and ordered a pint of something else.
    Thanks forthe kind words. Glad it wasn't just us with the 'Ugly Sisters'. Sounds like it's definitely the beer.

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Now, where's my Last of the Summer Wine box set?
    LOTSW? Cheeky bugger. The utterly brilliant League Of Gentlemen is more my thing.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

  5. #25
    This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runningdog View Post
    Somehow, 'ob' and a Black Five sound as if made for each other. Pity the brewery wasn't called Stanier
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    The beer itself used to be called Stanier Black 5 until they shortened the name !
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I'm still waiting for one called "Bullied's Light Pacific".
    Filthy 'rail porn' perverts! Clear off the lot of you, or I'm calling the police.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

  6. #26
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    4,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    LOTSW? Cheeky bugger. The utterly brilliant League Of Gentlemen is more my thing.
    Well I do look a bit like Compo, especially in the wellys and wooly hat. Not sure I'd pass muster in Royston Vaisey though, not being local.

    Tell us, now, how and when
    We may find the bravest men?
    A sure test, an easy test:
    Those that drink beer are the best

  7. #27
    This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Well I do look a bit like Compo, especially in the wellys and wooly hat. Not sure I'd pass muster in Royston Vaisey though, not being local.
    At least you spared me the wellies.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

  8. #28
    We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    down 'ere, from oop there
    Posts
    1,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    It's Cottage that have the particularly trainy names for their beers,
    Little Cart, from Sheffield's Wellington (Bottom Wellie), have pumpclips showing trains/engines. Despite my username here, I wouldn't know whether the beers are also named after famous rolling stock. They do have the good grace to poke a little fun at themselves in their 'beer tickers have been conned...' publication>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0007.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	166  

  9. #29
    Roving RAT ROBCamra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    4,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Little Cart, from Sheffield's Wellington (Bottom Wellie), have pumpclips showing trains/engines. Despite my username here, I wouldn't know whether the beers are also named after famous rolling stock. They do have the good grace to poke a little fun at themselves in their 'beer tickers have been conned...' publication>
    The owner of Little Ale Cart has another pub apart from the Wellington. It's The Dragon in Worcester which has the Beer Tickers Conned sign up on the wall.

    It's the only other place in the country that stocks Little Ale Cart beers or so I was told by the landlord in the Dragon.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

  10. #30
    We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    down 'ere, from oop there
    Posts
    1,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    It's the only other place in the country that stocks Little Ale Cart beers or so I was told by the landlord in the Dragon.
    Hmm, well I've never been to Worcester but thought I'd seen it elsewhere. Watson, where's the rolodex?

Similar Threads

  1. A couple of closures in West Bromwich
    By Delboy20 in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-11-2009, 12:17
  2. Sussex: move one in the East, close one in the West
    By PaulOfHorsham in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-09-2009, 16:45
  3. West Sussex Updates
    By PaulOfHorsham in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22-06-2009, 12:33
  4. pls add KIWIS, Neath, West Glamorgan
    By Aberdare Blog in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-09-2007, 17:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •