Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I hate Tetley's and think everyone should know!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    Shipstones of Nottingham was one of the best beers i have ever had,both the bitter and mild were very bitter tasting.
    Greenall Whitley took over the brewery and closed it down about 12 years later because they decided to pack in brewing and concentrate on pub ownership.

Hemlock bitter brewed at the Bramcote brewery, this brewey closed down because Broxtowe borough council refused permission to expand the brewery so the brewery closed down and reopened in Nottingham and is now called Castle Rock.
    The Hemlock bitter was a lot better when brewed at Bramcote.

I could go on and list many great beers that have gone because of takeovers,just because the brewery has closed down does'nt make the beer that was brewed there an inferior beer.
    Thanks. Interesting stories.

I wonder if I'll be telling similar stories about J Holts in a few decades

I'll stay on me own

I hope not as Holts beers are one of my favourite beers and i have been in over 100 of their tied house.

I think if i remember rightly Joseph Holts bought all their shares back and became a non listed company to avoid a takover from another company.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    Are there any tasty, successful beers that have seen breweries closed?
    Despite my initial scepticism, the Youngs beers now brewed in Bedford by the Wells & Youngs JV seem to be at least as good as those produced in recent years in Wandsworth,

Are there any tasty, successful beers that have seen breweries closed?
    A question of cause or effect: Fremlins was succesful and tastey when brewed at Faversham: Twitbread's shut that and turned it into TESCO (I think), and moved the brand to Cheltenham, whereupon it became niether tastey nor succesful, and Cheltenham closed,with Twibread turning into a coffee shop.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    A question of cause or effect: Fremlins was succesful and tastey when brewed at Faversham: Twitbread's shut that and turned it into TESCO (I think), and moved the brand to Cheltenham, whereupon it became niether tastey nor succesful, and Cheltenham closed,with Twibread turning into a coffee shop.
    I'll admit I don't know any of those.

In my brief drinking career, I have only ever seen expansion of good brewers and the closing of bad ones.

Thornbridge, Summer Wine, Brewdog, Marble, Mallinson's, Magic Rock, Ossett, Fernandes, Salopian, Oakham are all thriving along with the pubs that serve their brews.

Boring brews like Tetleys, John Smiths, Bass, Thwaites are probably still serving a good few pints but it is pubs that serve these sorts of beers that are closing left, right, and centre. I do not see these as a loss to the drinking industry.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

What you have got to remember is that , not that long ago those boring beers were like nectar compared with the crap most pubs served , the choice between a pint of Cask Tetley or Bass and a pint of Keg Springfield Bitter or Bass Special was a no brainer , we used to drive 10 miles just to drink in a pub that had Hook Norton beers on ! Trips out to places like the Three Tuns at Bishops Castle were all day jobs , a pub with 3 cask ales was like heaven .
    Its things like Tetley and Bass that kept the up the intrest in real beer , without them we could be in a keg beer hell

I would not say Salopian are thriving , their only pub the Bull in the Barne is closed and up for sale .
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    What you have got to remember is that , not that long ago those boring beers were like nectar compared with the crap most pubs served , the choice between a pint of Cask Tetley or Bass and a pint of Keg Springfield Bitter or Bass Special was a no brainer , we used to drive 10 miles just to drink in a pub that had Hook Norton beers on ! Trips out to places like the Three Tuns at Bishops Castle were all day jobs , a pub with 3 cask ales was like heaven .
    Its things like Tetley and Bass that kept the up the intrest in real beer , without them we could be in a keg beer hell

I would not say Salopian are thriving , their only pub the Bull in the Barne is closed and up for sale .
    Salopian deserve to be thriving as I saw their Lemon Dream absolutely everywhere I went in Shrewsbury 4 or 5 weeks back.

At 28 I clearly do not remember the beer scene from the 1980s, all I remember is being excluded from the cricket club. My father still drinks whatever stereotypical boring brown beer he is presented with in the bar though. I look around and would rather a bottle of Corona usually than a boring Thwaites, Smiths or Tetlys. If the craft beer market can influence the boring brown beer drinkers, then the likes of John Smiths will be goners.

If the craft beer market can influence the boring brown beer drinkers, then the likes of John Smiths will be goners.
    I doubt the men and women brewing hop tea in their sheds will influence major companies like Molson Coors, Heinekin or Carlsberg in any way. Carling is the number 1 selling beer in the UK so what possible relevance would an expensive to produce, niche product have to that business?

The larger brewing companies may dabble from time to time in cask beers, Molsons involvement with Sharps, or Heinekin's Cask Orders being merely the latest in a line going back to at least Watneys/Ruddles. Cask versions of Tetleys, Smiths etc currently have about 16% of the cask market, which itself is only 8% of the total beer market, and their market share is constantly dropping. Soon the fashion will change and the brewery businesses will move on, dropping any involvement in cask beers of whatever sort and concentrating again on the highly profitable mass market mock pilsners, and the nitrokegs (smooth) which dominate (92%) the beer market. Mock pilsners and smooths seem to appeal to the widest range of pub users, certainly most old men I know drink one or the other and most younger beer drinkers seem to stick to those beers mainly with occasional forays into cider, wine, spirits or cask. Premixs may remain fashionable or some other gloop might come along that appeals to someone's taste, someone will always rave about drinks most people think are disgusting especially if fashion says so, it's all a matter of personal taste of course.

The niche market in cask beer might continue to grow slowly although Simon Theakston believes it is already shrinking, in spite of the Cask Report figures proving otherwise. It depends on younger drinkers finding cask beers an acceptable drink, they may prefer modern unpastuerised and unfiltered kegs but the ones I've tasted make me doubt even that, a cold fizzy alcoholic drink that isn't cloudy is probably more acceptable than a cloudy cold fizzy alcoholic drink to most people, Carling's sales tend to support that view.

Well not exactly "hate", but by heck is n't it dull? Purely in the interest of research I tried it in a pub where the only other real ale was Black Sheep Best. I admit to be intrigued by how it managed the transfer to its new home.I don't really remember it in its Leedian heyday, but today's version is so damn dull.Nothing wrong with it, but bland. I found the BS excting by comparison!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

I agree with a lot of Oggwyn and Old Boots comments. My drinking started in the 1960's.A time that many look back to with rose tinted specs. There were good and bad beers then just as now. Some older drinkers visit my local simply because they like the taste and look of the John Smiths served there.Because we all have different tastes I think it right we respect other drinkers choice . It is , after all, their money to dispose of and how other people spend their money has always been good for a lively topic of conversation.