Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 12 June 2011)

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

BOTW goes to Titanic Anchor well kept in The Littleton Arms,Penkridge.The pint looked like a standard beer in terms of colour,but had that wonderful Titanic sharp bitter bite making a very well rounded 4% ABV drink .

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    However, the Hardcore IPA was utterly amazing. Full of flavour, and so hoppy. You'd never get a beer like this on cask.
    I came across this brew on cask in The Bree Louise,Euston last year.Agreed it tasted great ,but the 9.2% ABV limited my consumption

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    .. part of a drive to introduce a real ale policy at Selhurst Park.
    Sadly on match days the only ale option is "bright" Sambrooks Wandle at £3.50 per pint,so I am ashamed to admit that I still drink in The George ,Croydon .However there was an end of season beer festival at Selhurst on Cup Final Day and this did have an interesting list of beers,no reports about the quality .Still a long way to go to reach the heights of the Leyton Orient Supporters Club .

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Sadly on match days the only ale option is "bright" Sambrooks Wandle at £3.50 per pint,so I am ashamed to admit that I still drink in The George ,Croydon .However there was an end of season beer festival at Selhurst on Cup Final Day and this did have an interesting list of beers,no reports about the quality .Still a long way to go to reach the heights of the Leyton Orient Supporters Club .
    According to the last line of this article you'll have Palace Ale on as a regular next season - hopefully at less than £3.50 a pint.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/90...Beer_Festival/

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    According to the last line of this article you'll have Palace Ale on as a regular next season - hopefully at less than £3.50 a pint.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/90...Beer_Festival/
    Suddenly next season looks a whole lot brighter.Glad (all over) that you enjoyed the brew.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    However, the Hardcore IPA was utterly amazing. Full of flavour, and so hoppy. You'd never get a beer like this on cask.
    Not sure whether you mean availability or taste, but I'd argue the toss on both counts. BrewDog were a featured brewer in Ossett pubs earlier in the year. Edge, Trashy Blonde, Punk IPA and Hardcore IPA were all on hand pump at the Fernandes Tap. To be honest I found the Hardcore overly alcoholic. I've nothing against strong beer as long as the alcohol is 'integrated'. To me it just seemed to sit on top of the beer. Not my favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    BOTW goes to Titanic Anchor well kept in The Littleton Arms,Penkridge.The pint looked like a standard beer in terms of colour,but had that wonderful Titanic sharp bitter bite making a very well rounded 4% ABV drink .
    I certainly enjoyed my Titanic Centenary yesterday. I think it's a great brewery and I've not had a duff beer from them yet.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I certainly enjoyed my Titanic Centenary yesterday. I think it's a great brewery and I've not had a duff beer from them yet.
    Well said a&h ,they seem capable of brewing across a wide range of styles and like you I cant recall a poor one over recent times.They have been around for many years and I seem to recall quality issues in the early 90's,but that may have been under different ownership/head brewer.Their tied houses are none too shabby either.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Not sure whether you mean availability or taste, but I'd argue the toss on both counts. BrewDog were a featured brewer in Ossett pubs earlier in the year. Edge, Trashy Blonde, Punk IPA and Hardcore IPA were all on hand pump at the Fernandes Tap. To be honest I found the Hardcore overly alcoholic. I've nothing against strong beer as long as the alcohol is 'integrated'. To me it just seemed to sit on top of the beer. Not my favourite.

Anything over 6% IMO is better on Keg. Anything over 6% seems to turn to vinegar very quickly when from cask, no matter the original quality of the brew. You'd probably have to catch it very early.

I've had Thornbridge's Jaipur and Kipling on keg recently and they were disappointing. They just lose something on the nose when fizzy.

What I found remarkable about the Hardcore IPA was that my taste buds were satisfied before I'd even got to the liquid - the froth was tasty enough. Never experienced that before.

The Tetleys at the Midnight Bell and at the Templar was excellent and Leeds Brewery's Quality Pays, their 5.3% homage to Tetleys was pretty good, A&H refered to it as "Tetleys with attitude". BOTW for me though was A&Hs runner up Liverpool Organic Old Porter (I didn't have the Leghorn).