Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 12 June 2011)

  1. #11
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Grand Union
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    BOTW goes to Titanic Anchor well kept in The Littleton Arms,Penkridge.The pint looked like a standard beer in terms of colour,but had that wonderful Titanic sharp bitter bite making a very well rounded 4% ABV drink .

  2. #12
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Grand Union
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    However, the Hardcore IPA was utterly amazing. Full of flavour, and so hoppy. You'd never get a beer like this on cask.
    I came across this brew on cask in The Bree Louise,Euston last year.Agreed it tasted great ,but the 9.2% ABV limited my consumption

  3. #13
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Grand Union
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    .. part of a drive to introduce a real ale policy at Selhurst Park.
    Sadly on match days the only ale option is "bright" Sambrooks Wandle at £3.50 per pint,so I am ashamed to admit that I still drink in The George ,Croydon .However there was an end of season beer festival at Selhurst on Cup Final Day and this did have an interesting list of beers,no reports about the quality .Still a long way to go to reach the heights of the Leyton Orient Supporters Club .

  4. #14
    This Space For Hire Pubsignman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Croydon and occasionally Dorset
    Posts
    920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Sadly on match days the only ale option is "bright" Sambrooks Wandle at £3.50 per pint,so I am ashamed to admit that I still drink in The George ,Croydon .However there was an end of season beer festival at Selhurst on Cup Final Day and this did have an interesting list of beers,no reports about the quality .Still a long way to go to reach the heights of the Leyton Orient Supporters Club .
    According to the last line of this article you'll have Palace Ale on as a regular next season - hopefully at less than £3.50 a pint.

    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/90...Beer_Festival/

  5. #15
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Grand Union
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    According to the last line of this article you'll have Palace Ale on as a regular next season - hopefully at less than £3.50 a pint.

    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/90...Beer_Festival/
    Suddenly next season looks a whole lot brighter.Glad (all over) that you enjoyed the brew.

  6. #16
    This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    However, the Hardcore IPA was utterly amazing. Full of flavour, and so hoppy. You'd never get a beer like this on cask.
    Not sure whether you mean availability or taste, but I'd argue the toss on both counts. BrewDog were a featured brewer in Ossett pubs earlier in the year. Edge, Trashy Blonde, Punk IPA and Hardcore IPA were all on hand pump at the Fernandes Tap. To be honest I found the Hardcore overly alcoholic. I've nothing against strong beer as long as the alcohol is 'integrated'. To me it just seemed to sit on top of the beer. Not my favourite.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    BOTW goes to Titanic Anchor well kept in The Littleton Arms,Penkridge.The pint looked like a standard beer in terms of colour,but had that wonderful Titanic sharp bitter bite making a very well rounded 4% ABV drink .
    I certainly enjoyed my Titanic Centenary yesterday. I think it's a great brewery and I've not had a duff beer from them yet.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

  7. #17
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Grand Union
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I certainly enjoyed my Titanic Centenary yesterday. I think it's a great brewery and I've not had a duff beer from them yet.
    Well said a&h ,they seem capable of brewing across a wide range of styles and like you I cant recall a poor one over recent times.They have been around for many years and I seem to recall quality issues in the early 90's,but that may have been under different ownership/head brewer.Their tied houses are none too shabby either.

  8. #18
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees
    Posts
    528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Not sure whether you mean availability or taste, but I'd argue the toss on both counts. BrewDog were a featured brewer in Ossett pubs earlier in the year. Edge, Trashy Blonde, Punk IPA and Hardcore IPA were all on hand pump at the Fernandes Tap. To be honest I found the Hardcore overly alcoholic. I've nothing against strong beer as long as the alcohol is 'integrated'. To me it just seemed to sit on top of the beer. Not my favourite.



    I certainly enjoyed my Titanic Centenary yesterday. I think it's a great brewery and I've not had a duff beer from them yet.
    Anything over 6% IMO is better on Keg. Anything over 6% seems to turn to vinegar very quickly when from cask, no matter the original quality of the brew. You'd probably have to catch it very early.

    I've had Thornbridge's Jaipur and Kipling on keg recently and they were disappointing. They just lose something on the nose when fizzy.

    What I found remarkable about the Hardcore IPA was that my taste buds were satisfied before I'd even got to the liquid - the froth was tasty enough. Never experienced that before.

  9. #19
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    4,771

    Default

    The Tetleys at the Midnight Bell and at the Templar was excellent and Leeds Brewery's Quality Pays, their 5.3% homage to Tetleys was pretty good, A&H refered to it as "Tetleys with attitude". BOTW for me though was A&Hs runner up Liverpool Organic Old Porter (I didn't have the Leghorn).

    Tell us, now, how and when
    We may find the bravest men?
    A sure test, an easy test:
    Those that drink beer are the best

Similar Threads

  1. Beer of the Week (w/e 5 June 2011)
    By Galore Admin in forum Beer of the Week
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-06-2011, 16:11
  2. Beer of the Week (w/e 13 June 2010)
    By Conrad in forum Beer of the Week
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-07-2010, 14:31
  3. Beer of the Week (w/e 27 June 2010)
    By Conrad in forum Beer of the Week
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 29-06-2010, 13:46
  4. Beer of the Week (w/e 20 June 2010)
    By Conrad in forum Beer of the Week
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 28-06-2010, 12:17
  5. Beer of the Week (w/e 6 June 2010)
    By Conrad in forum Beer of the Week
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-06-2010, 12:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •