Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tetleys of Leeds – in memorium

I’ve never drunk Tetleys as in the smoke it usually turns up in smooth flow form, but the name does fill me with thoughts of flat caps and whippets which, like the young lad on the Hovis bicycle, I find quite endearing.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I’ve never drunk Tetleys as in the smoke it usually turns up in smooth flow form, but the name does fill me with thoughts of flat caps and whippets which, like the young lad on the Hovis bicycle, I find quite endearing.
    Ah yes "that" Hovis advert filmed in the famous northern town of Shaftesbury in, err................ Dorset.

A couple of Tetley's closure related events I'm been told about:

Leeds Brewery - goodbye to Tetleys weekend 10-12th June at the Midnight Bell (I'm off to it this Sunday lunchtime)

interwebby stuff here , here and here.

CAMRA will be holding a wake outside the brewery on the 18th June, possibly involving the old "undertaker and coffin" stuff they used to be famous for in the 1970s.

If anyone hears of anything else, why not stick it on here?

I am reliably informed that there is no truth in the rumour that Tetleys will be buried at sea just so Spinko can dance on its grave .

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Leeds Brewery - goodbye to Tetleys weekend 10-12th June at the Midnight Bell (I'm off to it this Sunday lunchtime)
    What time are you going 'ob'? If I can get a pass out from she who must be obeyed, we could meet up at the MB and maybe have a wander.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    What time are you going 'ob'? If I can get a pass out from she who must be obeyed, we could meet up at the MB and maybe have a wander.
    Sounds good, my plan is to get into Leeds bus stn at about 12:00 then walk down to the Midnight Bell for a few then maybe the delights of Holbeck the Grove, Cross Keys and Hop may be involved I expect.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

I certainly remember back in the early '80s that Leeds Tetley's was vastly superior to the bilge we generally were served up with west of the Pennines being the Tetley's from Warrington. I still don't know whether there was a relationship between the two, eg a family split/separate brewery etc but the two beers bore no similarity at all. Leeds Tetley Bitter was a great session beer, smooth and creamy with a tight not frothy head.
    Shame the brewery is closing and if the beer is to be brewed elsewhere I doubt it will be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    I certainly remember back in the early '80s that Leeds Tetley's was vastly superior to the bilge we generally were served up with west of the Pennines being the Tetley's from Warrington. I still don't know whether there was a relationship between the two, eg a family split/separate brewery etc but the two beers bore no similarity at all. Leeds Tetley Bitter was a great session beer, smooth and creamy with a tight not frothy head.
    Shame the brewery is closing and if the beer is to be brewed elsewhere I doubt it will be the same.
    They were entirely separate companies until 1960 when they merged to form Tetley-Walker and then merged with Ind Coope and Ansells in 1961 to form Allied Breweries.

Taylor-Walker of London was also a separate company to Walkers of Warrington (and Burton once upon a time). Walkers of Warrington were also linked to Cains of Liverpool at one time (1921).

Allied-Lyons merged with Carlsberg in 1992.

The Wikipedia page on Allied Breweries tells it fairly accurately from what I can see.

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Ah,Draught Bass! I must admit to having almost forgotten it, though for a while I drank it regularily, with reverence. It was in my early twenties, in my first "proper job", and I felt it was a grown up beer. Even then, I think it was an old man's drink, but again, an epitome of English Beer.I'm not sure who brews it now, but apparently they're making quite a good fist of it. Must try it again before it goes forever.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.