Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tetleys of Leeds – in memorium

Default Tetleys of Leeds – in memorium

In 1822 Joshua Tetley began brewing in the Holbeck area of Leeds, by 1840 Tetley & Sons was the biggest brewer in Leeds and by 1851 was probably the biggest in Yorkshire. At the end of the 19th century Tetleys employed as many people as the major Burton brewers such as Worthington or Ind Coope. In the 20th century Tetleys had a variety of owners but brewing continued in Leeds. On the 17th June 2011 this will come to an end when current owners Carlsberg close the Leeds brewery.

On the 4th June some of the workers at Tetleys held their final pub crawl of Leeds calling at The Templars, Palace, Victoria, Horse & Trumpet and the Scarborough. Here are some pictures taken in the Scarborough of the occasion.Attachment 557Attachment 558Attachment 559Attachment 560Attachment 561Attachment 562Attachment 563

Sad to hear of the brewery closing and the job losses that will ensue.

I have always maintained there is no such thing as bad beer, just different beer but Tetley (Leeds) made a bloody good effort to prove my theory wrong.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Crossste View Post
    Sad to hear of the brewery closing and the job losses that will ensue.

I have always maintained there is no such thing as bad beer, just different beer but Tetley (Leeds) made a bloody good effort to prove my theory wrong.
    There were no compulsory job losses from what I have heard.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Definitely the end of an era. I have a great fondness for the brewery on several levels. Tetley Bitter was the dominant ‘gateway’ beer that got me drinking real ale in the seventies, during my teens. It’s debatably not the beer it was, but how many are? Look at Landlord. However, I still think their mild is a decent drink.

There’s always been such a strong sense of local identity with the brewery. The familiar huntsman pink logo, the gold lettering and the soothing red neon glow all let you know you’re in West Yorkshire. They may well continue after the Leeds closure, but that magical association will be lost. When I was younger there was always something quite comforting about spotting that first Tetley pub when returning home.

On Wednesday evenings, over the last few weeks, I’ve been on a course in Leeds, based in a building a stone’s throw from the brewery gates. There’s been a certain poignancy looking over at the huge neon sign at twilight, knowing that closure was imminent.

Oh well, I’m sure the good folk of Leeds can look forward to speculative investors building several hundred more one bedroom apartments and angular, jutting office blocks that they won’t be able to sell / rent.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

[QUOTE=aleandhearty;33302]
    but that magical association will be lost. When I was younger there was always something quite comforting about spotting that first Tetley pub when returning home.

Same with Fremlins in Kent, and countless others the length and breadth of the land. For my sins, I didn't beat a path to the Tetley pump in my more recent visits to God's Own County,but I did enjoy the odd pint of MILD.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Definitely the end of an era. I have a great fondness for the brewery on several levels. Tetley Bitter was the dominant ‘gateway’ beer that got me drinking real ale in the seventies, during my teens. It’s debatably not the beer it was, but how many are? Look at Landlord. However, I still think their mild is a decent drink.
    Not being from Yorkshire I never had that local affinity but as one the first real ales I came across as a youth in the late 80s early 90s I concur - it was a fabulous weaning bitter. Even then I recall massive variations in quality, some pints seemed sublime with a rich creamy maltiness on top of the bitterness, more often then not it was served in poor condition with cardboard or vinegary notes which at the time I didn't realise was due to the beer being off. Have since heard that it is a difficult beer to serve right when away from its heartland - probably due to mistreatment and improper storage by Carlsberg and its distributors.

Shame they won't allow it to do a Theakstons - which seems to have come out of S&Ns shadow succesfully and is brewing good beer in Masham.

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Teetotal

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    There’s always been such a strong sense of local identity with the brewery. The familiar huntsman pink logo, the gold lettering and the soothing red neon glow all let you know you’re in West Yorkshire. They may well continue after the Leeds closure, but that magical association will be lost.
    This is the key, A&H, quite right. The closure ...oh no, wait a mo' ...the relocation is symbolic. It's not about the beer, it's about the end of an almost 200 year close association with the city, the county, and its citizens. Regardless of what you think about the beer, mourn the loss of the symbol.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

To be honest i have always had a soft spot for Tetley , back when i started drinking in the early 80s it was one of the few cask ales available(Bass , Pedigree and Wem being the others) and walking past a dozen pubs to get a pint of real beer was the norm , i think we sometimes forget how lucky we are these days when it comes to real ale
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !