Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: In the Hop Garden

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I wish I would see more Ossett down my way,usually only get some at beer festivals,all for more hops though.
    I guess there's an element of familiarity breeds contempt, MD. They do actually brew some good beers - Silver King, Excelsior and Treacle Stout are great, if in good nick. However, they are also guilty of churning out endless indifferent pale seasonals around 4%, that just merge into each other, character wise. Then again the celebratory B2K was magnificent and Revolution IPA and Quicksilver are far too good to be occasional brews. Overall, I think other local breweries such as Mallinsons, Magic Rock and Kirkstall have overtaken them. If they have any insight, it might give them a kick up the jacksie.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I wish I would see more Ossett down my way,usually only get some at beer festivals,all for more hops though.
    Not quite sure where you are based, but isn't there some kind of link-up between Ossett and Fuller Smith and Turner?
    I enjoyed Ossett Silver King the last time I was in York.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    ... isn't there some kind of link-up between Ossett and Fuller Smith and Turner?
    There is, London Pride is on in my local Ossett owned pub as a regular beer and we get Fullers seasonals in there very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Not quite sure where you are based, but isn't there some kind of link-up between Ossett and Fuller Smith and Turner?
    I enjoyed Ossett Silver King the last time I was in York.
    That's Interesting,I wasn't aware of that,living in the Surrey/Hant's Borders area,(the Hant's end) there is quite a few Fullers outlets not too faraway,mostly ex-Gales pubs which aren't my first port of call as I think the general range of Fullers ales are pretty run of the mill, the outstanding London Porter being an exception,maybe I should investigate further.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

I rather like Ossett beers.the Fullers tie is that Ossett removed a regular beer from its pubs(timothy taylors maybe)and installed London Pride so Fullers rather than bring back empty lorries when delivering sometimes bring back Ossett beer.often seen around west london Fullers pubs.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I guess there's an element of familiarity breeds contempt, MD. They do actually brew some good beers - Silver King, Excelsior and Treacle Stout are great, if in good nick. However, they are also guilty of churning out endless indifferent pale seasonals around 4%, that just merge into each other, character wise. Then again the celebratory B2K was magnificent and Revolution IPA and Quicksilver are far too good to be occasional brews. Overall, I think other local breweries such as Mallinsons, Magic Rock and Kirkstall have overtaken them. If they have any insight, it might give them a kick up the jacksie.
    To be honest I only remember drinking the Silver King at the Woking Beer Festival one year, I'm sure I must have encounterd Ossett elsewhere but don't recall,I take the point about familiarity,breweries fairly local to me,Triple fff and West Berks aren't bad but can become run of the mill when drunk on a regular basis.I have had some Magic Rock Dark Arts recently and was very impressed.
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    Looks like he'll be getting the ingredients in for a green-hopped ale - will you be supporting the Kent Green Hop Beer Fortnight - seems to be centred around Canterbury.
    the Bricklayers Arms putney has 12 green hopped beers at their fest this week starts wed but the green hop beers wont be on till friday .they are not allowed to sell them before Canterbury fest begins.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I guess there's an element of familiarity breeds contempt, MD. They do actually brew some good beers
    This is'nt a dig at you aleandhearty but why do people think that if a beer is readily available then it is not a decent drink,if that is the case then new brewerys would have to keep opening all the time to keep certain people happy about not drinking the same drinks all the time.

I am happy drinking a beer i like on a regular basis,if it is a drink that i like then i carry on liking it i dont get bored with it,i enjoyed drinking Shipstones and Home in the 80s and Youngs and Holts in the 90s and now living very close to Nottingham the beer you see on the bar most regulary is Castle Rock Harvest Pale,this is a really nice beer and i will never get bored of drinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    This is'nt a dig at you aleandhearty but why do people think that if a beer is readily available then it is not a decent drink,if that is the case then new brewerys would have to keep opening all the time to keep certain people happy about not drinking the same drinks all the time.

I am happy drinking a beer i like on a regular basis,if it is a drink that i like then i carry on liking it i dont get bored with it,i enjoyed drinking Shipstones and Home in the 80s and Youngs and Holts in the 90s and now living very close to Nottingham the beer you see on the bar most regulary is Castle Rock Harvest Pale,this is a really nice beer and i will never get bored of drinking it.
    I currently drink Darkstar beers until it comes out of my ears and have done for a few years now with no sign (and none expected) of being bored of it, I do think some breweries can rest on their laurels and loose their way,not Darkstar or Castle Rock, Harvest Pale is up there with the best.
    -W.C.Fields

More news of the Canterbury GreenHop bash. I don't think I'll get to Canterbury, but I'm working on a greenhop outing. Howard Batt who has supplied some of the hops farms just down the road from us:top man.
    http://kentgreenhopbeer.com/2012/09/...beers-of-2012/
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.