Ads not shown when logged in
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 245

Thread: In the Hop Garden

  1. #201
    This Space For Hire Pubsignman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Croydon and occasionally Dorset
    Posts
    971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    what on earth is the kit shown in (4)?
    It's a machine used by rugby teams to practise scrums.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_machine

  2. #202
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    It's a machine used by rugby teams to practise scrums.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_machine
    Thanks!

  3. #203
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,802

    Default A puzzle

    This is an odd one - the remains of an oast with two roundels, unusually set in a remote location surrounded by orchards on the slopes above the former hop gardens on the lower-lying ground, rather than in the farmstead or beside a main road for ease of access.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200429_183006s.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	759.5 KB 
ID:	2256 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200429_182943s.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	702.8 KB 
ID:	2257 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200429_182916s.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	786.4 KB 
ID:	2258
    However, the really strange thing is not its location but the attached single-storey building. A stowage normally has at least two storeys, with the cooling floor and hop press beside the drying floor at first-floor level above the kilns, so what happened here (and why)?

  4. #204
    This Space For Hire Wittenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Weald of Kent
    Posts
    1,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    This is an odd one - the remains of an oast with two roundels, unusually set in a remote location surrounded by orchards on the slopes above the former hop gardens on the lower-lying ground, rather than in the farmstead or beside a main road for ease of access.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200429_183006s.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	759.5 KB 
ID:	2256 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200429_182943s.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	702.8 KB 
ID:	2257 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200429_182916s.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	786.4 KB 
ID:	2258
    However, the really strange thing is not its location but the attached single-storey building. A stowage normally has at least two storeys, with the cooling floor and hop press beside the drying floor at first-floor level above the kilns, so what happened here (and why)?
    Do you think there might have been fire damage in the past? My grandfather, who wasn't a hop grower allowed a third party to store some apples in the Oast.Surprisingly enough they caught fire. To salvage the situation the cooling floor and kilns were roofed,resulting in a sort of barn/oast hybrid. A subsequent owner converted it to a dwelling, reinstating the roundels to their former glory.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

  5. #205
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Here are the sale particulars: Mathurst Farm Oast and Hop Picking Machine Shed.
    Wow! The potential to be the oastest with the mostest!

  6. #206
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Do you think there might have been fire damage in the past? My grandfather, who wasn't a hop grower allowed a third party to store some apples in the Oast.Surprisingly enough they caught fire. To salvage the situation the cooling floor and kilns were roofed,resulting in a sort of barn/oast hybrid. A subsequent owner converted it to a dwelling, reinstating the roundels to their former glory.
    That sounds more plausible than anything I could think of, and I suspect that this pair of roundels with have their day again when the farmer needs to boost his pension pot!

  7. #207
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,802

    Default A bit back to front?

    This one is an unusual oast, with a slightly offset arrangement of two square kilns at each end of a surprisingly large stowage building, perhaps allowing for further expansion?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1260490s.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	547.2 KB 
ID:	2261 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200401_175541s.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	740.4 KB 
ID:	2262 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1260462s.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	755.4 KB 
ID:	2265
    Indeed, this seems to have happened with the addition of the (presumably later) roundel on one side, but it all looks a bit odd (especially because you would expect the original kilns to be round and the later square in an oast of this age)?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200401_175740s.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	761.5 KB 
ID:	2263 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200401_175801s.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	773.9 KB 
ID:	2264
    It also has a noticeably large (and partly covered) 'greenstage' at the back, used for unloading pokes (rough sacks) of green hops from carts bringing them in from the hop gardens and then loading sealed pockets (finer sealed sacks, stamped with the producer's name) of dried hops onto wagons taking them to markets such as the Hop Exchange in Southwark. But why at the back of the building rather than the front?
    Last edited by rpadam; 12-05-2020 at 22:24.

  8. #208
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,802

    Default Remains...

    It's a bit difficult to make out, but there is a disused hop garden in the field beyond, with the wirework still supported on poles but the plants removed and replaced by grass.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200506_181946s.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	811.1 KB 
ID:	2266
    Although hop growing could theoretically be reinstated after a rest without major capital investment, this garden will almost certainly end up as pasture like the field in the foreground.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200401_172849s.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	2267 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200503_124632s.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	880.3 KB 
ID:	2268 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200506_181829s.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	873.6 KB 
ID:	2269
    In turn, that means that the hop poles will be taken down in due course, but as useful timber these tend to be kept in what might be called 'stooks' for cutting up and use as fenceposts, etc.

  9. #209
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,802

    Default Perspective...

    This oast is unusually located at the top of quite a steep hill, close by The Bull Inn at Linton which has a spectacular view over an 'amphitheatre' of orchards from its rear beer garden.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1260516s.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	881.8 KB 
ID:	2270 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1260517s.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	734.7 KB 
ID:	2271 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1260519s.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	807.8 KB 
ID:	2272
    I assumed that the oast would also have a similar view, although it was almost hidden at first, but looking back from distance confirms it has (with the pub located just out of the frame to the left of the church).

  10. #210
    This Space For Hire Wittenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Weald of Kent
    Posts
    1,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    It's a bit difficult to make out, but there is a disused hop garden in the field beyond, with the wirework still supported on poles but the plants removed and replaced by grass.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200506_181946s.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	811.1 KB 
ID:	2266
    Although hop growing could theoretically be reinstated after a rest without major capital investment, this garden will almost certainly end up as pasture like the field in the foreground.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200401_172849s.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	2267 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200503_124632s.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	880.3 KB 
ID:	2268 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200506_181829s.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	873.6 KB 
ID:	2269
    In turn, that means that the hop poles will be taken down in due course, but as useful timber these tend to be kept in what might be called 'stooks' for cutting up and use as fenceposts, etc.
    Do you ever come across newly set up gardens in your travels? I found one yesterday when following a diversion in the back lanes between Biddenden and St Michaels. The young plants were climbing up substantial canes,while the poles and wirework were work-in-progress.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Similar Threads

  1. Look in your Garden Shed...
    By arwkrite in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 22:11
  2. Garden House, Tooting SW17
    By Maldenman in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-05-2011, 10:26
  3. Hendon Garden - Sunderland
    By ROBCamra in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-04-2011, 09:07
  4. Pete Brown's Beer Blog - Back Garden Bliss
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29-07-2010, 09:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •