Ads not shown when logged in
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
Results 241 to 250 of 250

Thread: In the Hop Garden

  1. #241
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,894

    Default Sad to see, but something that may be of interest to some...

    I wasn't planning another post here for a while, but what turned out to be a fool's errand because we went a year too late to find some hop gardens hidden away in the High Weald.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200605_181040s.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	281.5 KB 
ID:	2413 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200605_181216s.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	267.6 KB 
ID:	2414 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200605_181342s.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	826.1 KB 
ID:	2415
    Yes, with the poles and wirework cleared and the ground ready for ploughing, it was all a bit sad.

    However, having foolishly left the research until after the event, I found this video from a local vlogger with an interest in machinery of all sorts: Hop Harvest Kent 2019.

    This illustrates three things for those with an interest in hops and hop picking:
    1) It starts with the hop-growers second worst nightmare (after an outbreak of Verticillium Wilt) - an entire crop of hops being brought to the ground by severe weather (which in extremis can result in a full season's work being lost, with drastic financial consequences).
    2) Probably the most authentic - if not professionally polished - footage of a hop-picking machine in action; in this case, one produced by Bruff Engineering from Suckley in the heart of the Worcestershire hop yards, reputedly so efficient and well made that the company went out of business because no grower ever needed to buy a second one (and certainly many are still working after 40+ years, holding their second-hand value for those looking to upgrade from something else). With their unmistakable noise and the smell of green hops, finding one of these working is an unforgettable experience.
    3) A modern 'industrial oast' in operation, with hops dried in a train of heated bins rather than being moved into and out of kilns manually using 'scuppets'.

  2. #242
    This Space For Hire Wittenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Weald of Kent
    Posts
    1,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I wasn't planning another post here for a while, but what turned out to be a fool's errand because we went a year too late to find some hop gardens hidden away in the High Weald.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200605_181040s.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	281.5 KB 
ID:	2413 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200605_181216s.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	267.6 KB 
ID:	2414 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200605_181342s.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	826.1 KB 
ID:	2415
    Yes, with the poles and wirework cleared and the ground ready for ploughing, it was all a bit sad.

    However, having foolishly left the research until after the event, I found this video from a local vlogger with an interest in machinery of all sorts: Hop Harvest Kent 2019.

    This illustrates three things for those with an interest in hops and hop picking:
    1) It starts with the hop-growers second worst nightmare (after an outbreak of Verticillium Wilt) - an entire crop of hops being brought to the ground by severe weather (which in extremis can result in a full season's work being lost, with drastic financial consequences).
    2) Probably the most authentic - if not professionally polished - footage of a hop-picking machine in action; in this case, one produced by Bruff Engineering from Suckley in the heart of the Worcestershire hop yards, reputedly so efficient and well made that the company went out of business because no grower ever needed to buy a second one (and certainly many are still working after 40+ years, holding their second-hand value for those looking to upgrade from something else). With their unmistakable noise and the smell of green hops, finding one of these working is an unforgettable experience.
    3) A modern 'industrial oast' in operation, with hops dried in a train of heated bins rather than being moved into and out of kilns manually using 'scuppets'.
    Didn't realise that they'd gone-haven't been past much this spring for obvious reasons. As an aside, I think the modern oast was opened by Prince Charles after a fire several years back.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

  3. #243
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,894

    Default Late July in a mid-Kent Hop Garden

    About time to see how the hops are getting on, and Wittenden should recognise where these healthy examples are growing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200726_123437s.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	2470 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200726_123505s.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	2471 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200726_123517s.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	2472

  4. #244
    This Space For Hire Wittenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Weald of Kent
    Posts
    1,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    About time to see how the hops are getting on, and Wittenden should recognise where these healthy examples are growing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200726_123437s.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	2470 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200726_123505s.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	2471 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200726_123517s.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	2472
    Should drive past them tomorrow.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

  5. #245
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,894

    Default East Kent Hop Harvest

    Amid the heady aroma of lupulin from the freshly cut bines, here is the start of the East Kent hop harvest (in this case, most likely headed for Gadd's Ramsgate Brewery) in the curiously-named hamlet of Shatterling.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1280468s.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	685.7 KB 
ID:	2479 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1280470s.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	817.9 KB 
ID:	2480 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1280473s.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	777.5 KB 
ID:	2481

    On the other side of Canterbury, the same operation has started at the the much larger facility at China Farm, Upper Harbledown (although the process remains essentially the same, and unchanged for the last 60+ years).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1280503s.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	628.7 KB 
ID:	2482 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1280506s.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	695.7 KB 
ID:	2483 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1280509s.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	570.7 KB 
ID:	2484

    The dried hops in those bales beginning to accumulate in the shed will be coming to your pint soon!

  6. #246
    This Space For Hire Wittenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Weald of Kent
    Posts
    1,685
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

  7. #247
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,894

    Default The Larkins way...

    Keeping it traditional down in West Kent: Larkins Brewery Hop Picking 2020.

  8. #248
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,894

    Default The Hommelbier way...

    Keeping it semi-traditional down in Poperinge: Putting Hops on the Table in Belgium’s Westhoek.

  9. #249
    This is not an exit Komakino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Keeping it traditional down in West Kent: Larkins Brewery Hop Picking 2020.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Keeping it semi-traditional down in Poperinge: Putting Hops on the Table in Belgium’s Westhoek.
    Really interesting stuff; thanks for sharing gents.
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

  10. #250
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Keeping it traditional down in West Kent: Larkins Brewery Hop Picking 2020.
    Very interesting - never knew how it was done, I hope they don't eat that wasp!

Similar Threads

  1. Look in your Garden Shed...
    By arwkrite in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 23:11
  2. Garden House, Tooting SW17
    By Maldenman in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-05-2011, 11:26
  3. Hendon Garden - Sunderland
    By ROBCamra in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-04-2011, 10:07
  4. Pete Brown's Beer Blog - Back Garden Bliss
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29-07-2010, 10:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •