Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Winchester and Cheriton in July.

This Space For Hire

An old stamping ground, so a word of caution: the 67 goes from the bus station, which is a fair way from the rail station. There are other buses that go down there, but allow enough time. And don't walk - too many pubs to go past...

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    That's good news,looks like a reasonable turnout .

There seems to be an hourly bus (67)from Winchester to Cheriton departing at .50 and arriving at .13 past the hour.The return departs at .23 and arrives back in Winchester at .46,so this leg of the journey will need some forethought to meet up with Farway and avoid the 2.30pm closing time.
    OK, no promises and I do not know how many there are likely to be, but [big but] I could pick you up at Winchester & return, or at least dump you at the Hinton Arms which is open all day & has a good choice of ale & food, after the Flowerpots, the big but is I only have a Skoda Felicia, 5 seats max. As Cheriton is not a million miles for Winchester it could be done in 2 journeys at a push

Sorry, but - much to my disappointment - something unavoidable has come up on 1st of July... (Shame, though, as I was really looking forward to the Winchester outing.)

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    OK, no promises and I do not know how many there are likely to be, but [big but] I could pick you up at Winchester & return, or at least dump you at the Hinton Arms which is open all day & has a good choice of ale & food, after the Flowerpots, the big but is I only have a Skoda Felicia, 5 seats max. As Cheriton is not a million miles for Winchester it could be done in 2 journeys at a push
    With rpadam sadly unable to join us,it looks like the party on July 1st will be Roger B,Pubsignman ,Quinno and me so your very kind offer of a lift from Winchester to Cheriton would be great,we should all fit in just.It is probably best to dump us at The Hinton Arms after The Flowerpots and we can take the bus back to Winchester which departs at either 14.23 or 16.03 (there is a bit of a service interuption mid afternoons)

I am away in the early part of next week ,so it is probably worth tying down other travel arrangements.There is a departure from Waterloo at 10.05,which stops at Clapham Junction at 10.12 for Pubsignman and arrives at Winchester at 11.04.With Quinno coming in from Reading we could meet him at the station and/or at a convenient pub nearby and wait there for the Farway taxi service.The Flowerpots opens at noon,so there is no immediate rush ,and if the numbers swell there is a bus service at 11.50am to Cheriton anyway.If this doesnt work for anyone ,please suggest an alternative .I can easily take a differently timed train.

I am happy to go along with any pub crawl route ,I know Roger had a longish list of potential targets on the original thread,and I dont really know the area anyway.

It looks like the groupsave ticket wont work unless we get another taker from Waterloo,so I might just get an anytime return from St Margarets (Herts) which means I can slope off if the going gets too rough later in the day

Given parking & one way traffic system, plus pedestrianisation of areas of Winchester, unless a nearby pub has parking it will have to be the station pick up

Nearest pub seems to be Albion which review states is on busy cross roads, so that is out

Other is the Railway "The Railway has ample free parking and is situated just a few minutes walk from Winchester Railway Station." but no idea idea of opening times, or if even open lunchtimes. I have mailed them to check opening times, think it is 5pm, so another one fails I think, but maybe pick up there and you have a pint in the Albion?

I have also e-mailed Cheriton Arms asking about lunchtime opening, just in case we are too early for Flowerpots so could do in reverse order sort of, but still leave you all at the Cheriton for bus

So pick up at railway station seems best bet unless anyone has a cunning plan avoiding city centre etc

PS this will also give us the opportunity to check if Percy Hobbs is closed or not, I think it is closed but unsure, it is en route so no time wasting involved
    Last edited by Farway; 23-06-2011 at 15:44. Reason: PS

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    It looks like the groupsave ticket wont work unless we get another taker from Waterloo,so I might just get an anytime return from St Margarets (Herts) which means I can slope off if the going gets too rough later in the day
    How about organising the ticket from Clapham Junction? Although that does sound like it may be unduly complicating matters. Just a thought, though
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Given parking & one way traffic system, plus pedestrianisation of areas of Winchester, unless a nearby pub has parking it will have to be the station pick up

So pick up at railway station seems best bet unless anyone has a cunning plan avoiding city centre etc

PS this will also give us the opportunity to check if Percy Hobbs is closed or not, I think it is closed but unsure, it is en route so no time wasting involved
    Thanks for all the research you have done.I dont know the area,so no cunning plan from me to avoid city centre.It sounds best to meet you at the station.Once travel arrangements have been confirmed with the others,we may slip into The Albion for a quick one,then trot back to the station to meet you.Would a noon meet up suit you ?
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 24-06-2011 at 12:27. Reason: Suggested meeting Farway at noon at the station.

I hope Farway realises that he will need to cut a hole in his car roof to accomodate BF and myself!

I am happy to go with the flow but if we can't take advantage of the Groupsave thing I will probably get the 9.35 train and head for the Old Gaol House for a large brekky (and a pint of course). The pubs in Winchester on my list (which obviously won't all get done) are the Royal Oak, Eclipse, Bishop On The Bridge, Black Boy, Wykeham Arms, Westgate Inn, St James Tavern, Fulflood Arms and the Hyde Tavern although some are a short hike out of town.

The Fulflood and the Hyde are fairly accessable from the station but look far enough out of town to possibly have some parking nearby but I'm not sure what time they open.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post

I am happy to go with the flow but if we can't take advantage of the Groupsave thing I will probably get the 9.35 train and head for the Old Gaol House

I'll probably arrive on the 10:24 or 10:54 from Reading.

Leaving-wise, 19:31 or 20:31, as I want to not have to change if possible.

PM from BF to me, agreed noon at railway station, however having checked out the map, should you all want to go to Bishop on the Bridge, and assuming my car roof does not have a hole in it by then, I am willing to drop you off near there after Hinton Arms, and you will all seriously owe me few pints because I am driving so only one for me in Flowerpots and sickly grin in Hinton Arms
    Last edited by Farway; 24-06-2011 at 14:49.