Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Today was to be my pub crawl in Derby

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I worked in Derby for 18 months so I know Derby and The Station pretty well also. I quite like it just for one. They still serve Bass out of the jug and it's still GBG recommended so that seeme fine to me.
    True.. I'll pop in The Station to see if it has changed and you never know I may change my opinion..

Keep on eye on this..

Hoppy
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

I worked in Derby for 18 months so I know Derby and The Station pretty well also. I quite like it just for one. They still serve Bass out of the jug and it's still GBG recommended so that seeme fine to me.
    It was in the 2009 edition but it's not in the current one, cough up your £10 and get a new one

Soupy and I met there for our Derby Crawl last November and they had well kept Deuchars and Hobgoblin on, the Bass clip was reversed, read our reviews here. I think Hoppy had a difference of opinion with the guvnor in there which put him off a bit, the History Boys thread sheds some light on it. If you're going in February, Hoppy, give us a shout as me and Soupy have unfinished pubs business there

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    Well Thursday mum has to go to the dentist in Birmingham, and is having mini-me for the day, so I may get the train up there and do a pub crawl. Either there or Bristol - £6 return for me to Bristol seems affordable.

Anyone interested?
    Just realised I should have said, I can meet you anytime Thursday, Dave can catch us up.

I did a huge Derby crawl over a very long weekend just over a year ago. Certainly the best city I have done as far as ales are concerned. You could spend a week in the Brunny, the Alex, the Flowerpot and the Babbington alone without having the same pint twice. The Brunny is the tops for me - fantastic, especially when you look at the photos inside of the place before it was renovated. One place I would thoroughly recommend that is often overlooked and isn't currently reviewed or rated on this site (I feel a cut & paste coming on) is the Falstaff which is a short(ish) walk away from the town centre. Really friendly customers and landlord, own brew beers and check out the photos of the "orbs" floating around the pub. Scary. Oh, and if you don't have the Bass from the jug in the Station, you haven't been to Derby!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I did a huge Derby crawl over a very long weekend just over a year ago. Certainly the best city I have done as far as ales are concerned. You could spend a week in the Brunny, the Alex, the Flowerpot and the Babbington alone without having the same pint twice. The Brunny is the tops for me - fantastic, especially when you look at the photos inside of the place before it was renovated. One place I would thoroughly recommend that is often overlooked and isn't currently reviewed or rated on this site (I feel a cut & paste coming on) is the Falstaff which is a short(ish) walk away from the town centre. Really friendly customers and landlord, own brew beers and check out the photos of the "orbs" floating around the pub. Scary. Oh, and if you don't have the Bass from the jug in the Station, you haven't been to Derby!
    The recently reopened Old Silk Mill near The Dolphin now does Bass from the jug as well !
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    It was in the 2009 edition but it's not in the current one, cough up your £10 and get a new one

Soupy and I met there for our Derby Crawl last November and they had well kept Deuchars and Hobgoblin on, the Bass clip was reversed, read our reviews here. I think Hoppy had a difference of opinion with the guvnor in there which put him off a bit, the History Boys thread sheds some light on it. If you're going in February, Hoppy, give us a shout as me and Soupy have unfinished pubs business there
    The Bass pumpclip is often turned round or not even there at all. It doesn't mean to say he doesn't have any, it's just the way he is.

I get the GBG on an annual Direct Debit so I've had 2010's since late September.

However it does help if you look in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I suggest you delay it until the first week in February, that way you can visit the Derby Winter Ales Festival at the same time.
    Hmmm, Winter Ales are dangerous at the best of times, never mind in conjunction with a crawl of the town! I can see why you've opted for a two-night stopover ROB.
    My list for Derby, still unvisited but high on list, is (in no particular order) Alexandra, Brunswick, Falstaff, Flowerpot, Smithfield, Station, Olde Dolphin, Old Silk Mill. No Babington Roger ('spoons rarely feature on our crawls) but with 18 HPs, it sounds like it should be added, as should that extra day to allow for 'jokers'.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi trainman,

Nice to see you here, I think you will recognise quite a few of the people chatting. Myself and Dave M are the admins of Pubs Galore, so if you have any problems, queries or improvements for the site just ask either of us, we are always keen to hear the communities feedback.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Hmmm, Winter Ales are dangerous at the best of times, never mind in conjunction with a crawl of the town! I can see why you've opted for a two-night stopover ROB.
    My list for Derby, still unvisited but high on list, is (in no particular order) Alexandra, Brunswick, Falstaff, Flowerpot, Smithfield, Station, Olde Dolphin, Old Silk Mill. No Babington Roger ('spoons rarely feature on our crawls) but with 18 HPs, it sounds like it should be added, as should that extra day to allow for 'jokers'.
    Now there's a thing I never thought I'd see.

trainman
    Teetotal

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I'd add The Derby Brewery Tap @ The Royal Standard to that list. It gets mixed reviews for the decor but there's no doubting the beer quality.

The 5 thirds and a bowl of local cheese make a good option for tasting and nibbles.

We always stay for 2 nights in Derby when going to the two annual beer festivals.

We can't get there until about 7 or 8 on the Friday so we stay around the station area (not hard with the Alex & the Brunswick on the doorstep).

We then visit the festival Saturday lunch and stay out until closing to get several more pubs in.