Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chichester (plus Branham and Yapton) Sat July 9th

This one has crept up on us. Who is still going? I will be arriving in Chichester at 11.04 and do my usual 'Spoons breakfast thingy, probably at the Dolphin & Anchor. I have Wests, the Bell, Four Chesnuts, the Bull and the Fountain as my main "To Do" list, the Old Cross, Park Tavern and Eastgate as reserves and the Gatehouse as a possible station pint necker. My train back is at 20.07.

Trainman is looking at a detour to the Murrell Arms, Barnham and the Maypole, Yapton which is 7 mins on the train (£3.80 return) but a half hour walk between the 2 pubs so if we want to do that option we should allow around 2 and a half hours of the day for train, walk, beers!
    Last edited by RogerB; 07-07-2011 at 09:43.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

[QUOTE=RogerB;34623]Murrell Arms, Barnham and the Maypole, Yapton which is 7 mins on the train (£3.80 return) QUOTE]
    Subject to discount, depending on numbers (3 from my end). Maybe walk one way to Yapton & cab (garrrggghh!!) back? Was trying to assess short cut parallel to train line, but can't make out a track on satellite view.
    The first six you mentioned were my Chichester targets, with jokers in Maypole & Murrell, that would be a round 10 pints for me. We arrive 12:04.

Exclamation murrell arms

always popped in here on way to fontwell races looks worrying

http://www.bognor.co.uk/community/co...same_1_2799481

Daphne Cutten
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    This one has crept up on us. Who is still going?
    MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Journey: 1 Clapham Junction to Chichester
    Outward journey: 9 Jul 2011 departs Clapham Junction at 10:08 travel by Train service provider Southern Railways to station Chichester arrives 11:34

Journey: 2 Chichester to Clapham Junction
    Outward journey: 9 Jul 2011 departs Chichester at 20:07 travel by Train service provider Southern Railways to station Clapham Junction arrives 21:40

I am well up for the Murrell and Maypole, done both a couple of years back and they are well-worth the trek Roger!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I am well up for the Murrell and Maypole, done both a couple of years back and they are well-worth the trek Roger!
    Having read Hondo's link we may regret it!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Sorry chaps, bit late but must have missed the original posting, will have to check bus times from Cosham / Havant

PS just checked, seems one every 30 minutes from Hilsea [north Portsmouth] so you may just see me in the Dolphin & Anchor or Wests, I still have mobile numbers

May have to do a runner for Cinderella bus early evening, about 1930 from Cathedral, once I have confirmed timetables

PPS walking between Yapton & Barnham may not be ideal as weather forecast is not to good

PPPs The Farway taxi service will not be running on this day
    Last edited by Farway; 07-07-2011 at 15:57. Reason: PS

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    . I have Wests, the Bell, Four Chesnuts, the Bull and the Fountain as my main "To Do" list, the Old Cross, Park Tavern and Eastgate as reserves
    Please do not miss out on the Bell Inn, I know it is sort of foody, but CAMRA etc listed

It is not too far from Cathedral, and assuming you do not get killed on the massive round about, with traffic from all directions, it will be worth it

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Subject to discount, depending on numbers (3 from my end). Maybe walk one way to Yapton & cab (garrrggghh!!) back? Was trying to assess short cut parallel to train line, but can't make out a track on satellite view.
    Google Maps are rubbish. It's StreetView and what you can do with them that's good. For proper maps, you're best served by Bing Maps or even streetmap as these show proper OS maps.

Anyway, I've got the local OS Landranger (orange cover) which I can bring along, probably hopping onto the 11.00 from Horsham, arriving Chichester 35 minutes later.

The Murrell is just 5 minutes from Barnham station, so could be squeezed in without the Maypole. On my visit, the opening hours excluded Saturday afternoons, although that didn't seem to be a problem when we tried the door at 4.15!

Looks like we need a rendez-vous pub in Chichester.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    streetmap as these show proper OS maps
    This is probably the best option for anything rural as they show the full network of footpaths and other public rights of way.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    Looks like we need a rendez-vous pub in Chichester.
    The Fountain is the first of the "to do" pubs from the station - As long as it has normal opening hours that is probably a good place to meet up. Sounds like we will all be in Chichester by midday.