Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chichester (plus Branham and Yapton) Sat July 9th

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Assuming I do not miss my bus I will arriving at Cathedral at 1104, so maybe catch Roger in Dolphin & Anchor?

If I miss the bus it will be 30 minutes later, there is not much of a time lag between my first bus down to Portsmouth and the departure of the Chichester one [route 700] on the other side of busy dual carriageway

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Having read Hondo's link we may regret it!
    Given Hondo's link ref change of landlady, is it really worth walking 20 minutes in possible showers to the Murrell?

Not one for me at this time

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Given Hondo's link ref change of landlady, is it really worth walking 20 minutes in possible showers to the Murrell?
    All the more reason, I think.

A quick change of breakfast plans for me. As the Dolphin is on a few people's to do list, I will brekky (& pint) at the Gateway which is quite near the station so any early birds will find me in there. I will then go to the Fountain which is also quite near the station and I would think everyone would be there for around Noon.

As for Barnham/Yapton, I can give or take it at the moment. I am planning an Arundel trip at some time and it is just as easy to do Barnham/Yapton from there, in fact I would prefer it as Arundel doesn't have as much to offer pub wise as Chichester. Therefore, if Farway (or anyone else) wants to stay behind, I don't mind staying in Chichester with them and we can all reconvene later in the day.

I think I have everyone's mobile numbers. If anyone needs mine, lease PM me.

See you all tomorrow - early night everyone!

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Um, no, the Murrell really is just 5 minutes from the station (assuming you're a pedestrian of just average speed). Whether an out-and-back from Chichester is a worthwhile exercise is another matter.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    A quick change of breakfast plans for me. As the Dolphin is on a few people's to do list, I will brekky (& pint) at the Gateway which is quite near the station so any early birds will find me in there. I will then go to the Fountain which is also quite near the station and I would think everyone would be there for around Noon.

As for Barnham/Yapton, I can give or take it at the moment. I am planning an Arundel trip at some time and it is just as easy to do Barnham/Yapton from there, in fact I would prefer it as Arundel doesn't have as much to offer pub wise as Chichester. Therefore, if Farway (or anyone else) wants to stay behind, I don't mind staying in Chichester with them and we can all reconvene later in the day.

I think I have everyone's mobile numbers. If anyone needs mine, lease PM me.

See you all tomorrow - early night everyone!
    I assume you meant Gatehouse?

I think I will stay in Chichester, especially as I now find my return buses do not always finish up in Portsmouth, some terminate early at Havant which is a PITA

See you in the Fountain around noon

Yes, I meant the Gatehouse - I note it is pictureless so I can at least make my first contribution of the day by visiting it! I even remembered my 'Spoons vouchers this time.Am now on the train and speeding along nicely. Should have my first pint in front of me by 11.15!

Default First debrief

I arrived in Chichester, on the bus, at just gone 11. Quick visit to Nationwide cash machine around the corner for beer coupons, then down to Gatehouse where I spotted Roger nursing a pint having scoffed his brekky, he will of course write his own review, but not impressed with beer choice, or lack of. It is a Lloyds No1, and is on a mini shopping plaza, so I guess caters for the cinema nearby etc

Then we toddled off to The Fountain, and "discovered" new pub on the way, duly photographed and will be added to Pug

Found Quinno & Paul of Horsham already ensconced in Fountain, Roger & I ordered Firkin Fox, which was cloudy but tasted ok. Then Trainman + 2 oppos arrived, their Firkin Fox was clear & bright, so it would seem Roger's & my pint had been the pipe cleaners Generally no one was too impressed with place

Then off to the Dolphin & Anchor ['spoons]. It was what a 'spoons is, but certainly had a wider selection than the Gatehouse

As it is directly opposite the Cathedral we all took advantage of the free God burgers being supplied on the Cathedral green, it was the 5th anniversary of some church group apparently

With a God Burger inside us we continued the Holy theme by going along to the Vestry, one of Roger's architectural must visits. An interesting interior, high vaulted roof. We all spotted the twigs with fairy lights. It is a mixed bag, ladies who lunch, couples, lonely old ladies with a glass of wine

Then onto the Bell, where we found out we had only just made it in time as they shut at 1430, good choice of beer, and most liked the place

As we had to pass the George & Dragon on way back into city centre that was sampled as well, 4 handpulls, most of us opted for Boondoggle

Onwards to The Bull, which was hit with everyone, the sort of pub you feel is "just right", and with 6 handpulls is must be

Back on the road to the Four Chesnuts, which despite Trainman insisting should have a middle T it does not. herein we found Mild as well as ale at £3.55 a pint, it was a pleasant enough place but was pricey, even for Chichester

I parted company to catch my return bus as the group made their way, possible via the Eastergate, to catch train to Barnham & Murrell Arms, they then intended to "wing it" for return train back to the Big City, so may still be wondering the lanes of East Sussex

8 participated
    Quinno + mate
    Paul of Horsham
    Roger B
    Trainman + 2 mates
    Me [Farway]

7 pubs visited were
    Gatehouse Solo effort by Roger
    Fountain
    Dolphin & Anchor
    Vestry Inn
    Bell
    George & Dragon
    Bull Inn Chesnuts

We had a different choice & beer in each pub

Plus whatever else occurred after my departure
    Last edited by Farway; 09-07-2011 at 20:44.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Farway's Vestry was actually West's, Brakspear at £2.65, 2nd cheapest of expensive beer day. Great to meet our Portsmouth correspondent.
    Just me & 2 regular drinking pals peeled off for Barnham & Yapton; pleased to report Murrell has not had any noticeable makeover (tho this was my first visit) but offered just three Fullers beers, on gravity - my HSB was pricey, but good. Walked to Yapton (cab back) where Maypole was not at all what I expected, though friendly enough and good beer choice; Hophead, Arundel Sussex MILD, Betty Stoggs, 6X, Darkstar Original, Olde Rosie, 2 unclipped. I notice this place has no PG photo, so a bit annoyed I was travelling without camera, even if my home PC meltdown leaves me without the means to load one.
    Talking of photos, I don't recall a team shot which was rather remiss of us, but look forward to whatever the snappers have to offer.
    We (re-)joined the train at Barnham and Quinno, RB, PoH were on board but I don't remember their route since we disappeared - much is cloudy by this point! Ralph had bought another pack of cards and I continued my losing streak at b@!$%d brag.
    I've got brief notes to try to decipher, if this head ever recedes, but what a pleasure to tour in the company of some of the nation's finest reviewers and not have to worry about recording beers etc. Ok, I was lazy.
    POTD, for me, was probably the Bull - good choice of beer & friendly guv'nor who was asking what we knew about Dixons of Skegness; well I suppose we have a decent beer history between us, but were unable to help on this one. After googling, I rather like the names Old Diabolical & Hoppy Yeaster ... http://www.wainfleet.info/shops/brewery-riverside.htm

Another gallon of tea is calling, toodle-pip!
    Last edited by trainman; 10-07-2011 at 08:52.

I somehow clocked up 13 pints across 12 pubs during the day!

Started at the Gatehouse, a Modern 'Spoons with just 4 hand pulls, 2 of which were Abbot, 1 Ruddles Best and a reversed guest beer. Not a good start but the brekky was decent enough and a pint of Abbott to wash it down with. Farway turned up and I didn't need much persuassion to depart.

Found Paul and Quinno in the Fountain (cloudy Firkin Fox) before the Trainman Trio arrived. I thought the pub was OK although the inacessable dart board seemed to be the main talking point for those of us that noticed.

Next stop was the Dolphin & Anchor but not a great selection of beers, I went for the Itchen Valley Fagins. It would have been rude not to help ourselves to the free burgers outside the cathedral opposite but with hindsight we should have purloined some of the 'Spoons ketchup sachets.

The churchy theme continued at Wests where we marvelled at the twigs and cheap prices (Brakspear Best £2.65), although the interior has had a bit of a tasteless makeover.

Up to the most northerly point, the Bell, good little pub with friendly staff even if they were in a hurry to kick us out - a nice pint of Hammerpot Red Hunter here.

to the George & Dragon, not one that even on the reserve list but it turned out to be a pretty decent find with Ringwood Boondoggle the preferred choice.

Next stop the Bull, most peoples Pub of the Day. 2 pints here (Hepworth Prospect and Arundel Special) before heading west to the Four Chesnuts. Mindboggling prices but a decent pint of Ballards Midhurst Mild and a pool table put to good use.

At this point Farway departed for his bus and the Trainman Trio for their optional excursion leaving myself, Quinno and the Horshamite to try out the Eastgate (a Fullers pub but Burton Bridge Golden Delicious as a guest) and the Park Tavern, (another Fullers pub - opted for Gales Seafarers) where a live duo were belting out a few tunes.

Last stop was the recently reopened Waterside where we sat out on the terrace (me with a local Gribble, Reg's Tipple).

Overall the pubs were a bit disappointing but I've probably been spoilt in recent weeks anyway. Still a great day out and I look forward to the next one.