Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newcastle 8-10 October

Default Newcastle 8-10 October

My (probable) final big trip out of the year is going up to Newcastle. I have earmarked the above dates for a two-night stop-over.

It's dependent on me being able to find reasonably-priced tickets from Reading - currently I am being quoted £122!

Happy to meet up with anyone who is knocking around! There'll be small deputation of us from Reading.

Any good ideas on obtaining cheap train tickets is welcome! (coaches eg Megabus is ruled out by others in the group!)

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    My (probable) final big trip out of the year is going up to Newcastle. I have earmarked the above dates for a two-night stop-over.

It's dependent on me being able to find reasonably-priced tickets from Reading - currently I am being quoted £122!

Happy to meet up with anyone who is knocking around! There'll be small deputation of us from Reading.

Any good ideas on obtaining cheap train tickets is welcome! (coaches eg Megabus is ruled out by others in the group!)
    Newcastle on a Saturday night is hell, you'll never have seen so many dipsticks in one city, even in the best ale pubs.

The likes of Bacchus, Centurian, Bodega, Newcastle Arms, Crown Posada, Bridge etc are all 3 deep at the bar.

Love Newcastle during the week but hate it at weekends.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Newcastle on a Saturday night is hell, you'll never have seen so many dipsticks in one city, even in the best ale pubs.

The likes of Bacchus, Centurian, Bodega, Newcastle Arms, Crown Posada, Bridge etc are all 3 deep at the bar.

Love Newcastle during the week but hate it at weekends.
    Yeah, I was thinking of using Saturday night to go to someplace else - one of the deputation went to Uni there so can still speak pidgin Geordie and knows the surrounding area. Sunday is our town centre day

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

I presume that's Cross-Country? Actually, I wouldn't think that tickets would be on sale that far away. Anyway, I was going to direct you towards East Coast (if that's what they're called) out of King's Cross (even with a train into London, it's probably quicker than any direct train via Birmingham).
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    ...even with a train into London, it's probably quicker than any direct train via Birmingham).
    Agreed. In a group you'll be able to get to & from London quickly & cheaply though the actual cost of direct travel t'toon won't be apparent for a while. Best expectation I could see on a projected basis (30Jul-01Aug) is £63 rtn on specific trains.

I hesitate to speculate on taking megatrain to Sheffield & seeing what onward deal you could get from there, but you'd have to wait until Sep to know whether you would beat potentially earlier direct prices (at the cost of an extra ~40mins travel). Though you could build in a couple of hours debrief there on the return, if anyone is still standing...

ps. Missing Sat night is, by all accounts, very smart. But watch the fixture list in case toon get a home game on the Sunday!
    Last edited by trainman; 27-05-2011 at 23:16.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    But watch the fixture list in case toon get a home game on the Sunday!
    v Spurs with a bit of luck. Quinno did mention this to me a few weeks ago and I am deffo up for it as long as the fixture list is kind and Spurs aren't at home. I haven't really done Newcastle in a pub capacity, just been there for footy and a gig at City Hall many years ago. As TM says, won't be able to look at any particular bargain journeys until nearer the time.

This Space For Hire

you can download the fares manual here
    http://cid-cae1e0742d874e31.office.l...s%20Manual%5E6

which suggests that if you try hard enough you can get it down to £17.50 each way

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    you can download the fares manual here
    http://cid-cae1e0742d874e31.office.l...s%20Manual%5E6

which suggests that if you try hard enough you can get it down to £17.50 each way
    Well that's an interesting little tool. The question, of course, is where and when I can source such a deal!!

Currently my tactic is to keep asking around and checking the website!

This Space For Hire

Well that's an interesting little tool. The question, of course, is where and when I can source such a deal!!

Currently my tactic is to keep asking around and checking the website!
    Try going to a booking office forearmed with the information and see what you can prise out of them. There are some fares you just can't get on the web. One of my bugbears is that I've got an all-zones travelcard and you can't book from the zone boundary on the web. A booking office will happily sell you a return from Boundary Zone 6 to Cambridge and you are free to travel by either route. The best you can do on the web is book from somewhere like Enfield Lock - which ties you to the Liverpool Street route both ways, is dearer, and in theory the train has to stop there en-route.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    A booking office will happily sell you a return from Boundary Zone 6 to Cambridge and you are free to travel by either route.
    Drifting very slightly off subject, but the last time I asked for a day return from boundary of Zone 6 to Cambridge, the booking office clerk said "You want a day return from boundary of Zone 4 to Cambridge." Not unreasonably, given that this was a longer journey, I said "Do I?" The guy then showed me the fares on his screen, and lo and behold the fare from Zone 4 was cheaper than from Zone 6 - explanations on a postcard please!