Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Southern 90% off Advance tickets

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    The site has acknowledged the problems due to unprecedented (but surely not unexpected?) demand, and has extended the booking window until midnight, Sun 29th.
    They really are hopeless. I think it's setup for about three concurrent users. On a snowy day you can try to get in to it, give up, walk to the station, come back again having hung around stamping your feet for half an hour with two hundred other people then finally get though to be told a normal service is operating to all destinations.

If you make it to barnham i hope the murrell arms is as good as it used to be (landlady retiring)
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

The site has acknowledged the problems due to unprecedented (but surely not unexpected?) demand, and has extended the booking window until midnight, Sun 29th.
    The steps are obviously very process-intensive and it's what...about 6 steps to purchase tickets? - all of which are munching up huge amounts of server. And of course, what happens when things hang? People hit F5 over and over which is the equivalent of kicking a dying badger to try and revive it. Hence the errors (I've just spent the last hour trying and failing to buy ticket#2).

Still, once the lunch rush is over I reckon I'll get through. I have all day and at least it means I'm getting PuG reviews done whilst I wait!

The offer has been extended to midnight on Sunday so no big rush if anyone can't sort anything out today although I suspect it is one of those "sorry sold out but here's an alternative but not such a great offer" things.

"Fatal Application Error
    We're sorry, but there has been a fatal error with the application. We are working hard to resolve the problem as quickly as possible and expect to have the system working again very soon.
    In the meantime, please browse our Travel Information pages for information on train travel times and fares.
    We apologise for any inconvenience.
    If you continue to receive this error please contact us and provide as much detail as possible."

hahahahahaha

site back up as of 7.

Trying again

UPDATE - just as bad, crashed out at payment and now the cheeky beggar has told me my reservations have expired. Let's see how things look tomorrow morning, today is a write-off.
    Last edited by Quinno; 26-05-2011 at 20:39.

Site is now up and running, positively whizzing in fact!

Jim, I have tickets for Chichester, however the Barnham to Clapham leg has no cheapies left so it's a Chichester return - we can sort stuff out on the day if you're still up for it. My tickets:

Journey: 1 Clapham Junction to Chichester
    Outward journey: 9 Jul 2011 departs Clapham Junction at 10:08 travel by Train service provider Southern Railways to station Chichester arrives 11:34

Journey: 2 Chichester to Clapham Junction
    Outward journey: 9 Jul 2011 departs Chichester at 20:07

UPDATE: It's now refusing to take any more payments from my card when I tried to get Eastbourne tickets - wonder if they've snuck that in to stem the flow?
    Last edited by Quinno; 27-05-2011 at 01:31.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    it's a Chichester return - we can sort stuff out on the day
    Arriving 30mins later, same train back.
    If my usual 2 associates tag along, then we can get Chich-Barnham open rtn on groupsave for £1.90 each, a tiny bit galling when the London-Chich bit was just £1.35 each, rtn(!), but hey ho - at least it would provide flexibility for the number of jokers consumed in Maypole & Bridge.

The process was pretty stressful, I quickly found my ticket options but added the selection to my saved box and went on to search other trips, Lewes etc. After a couple of error messages, as the system slowed down, it decided I didn't have anything in my saved box, so I had to start again. Finally got the same trains, so paid individually, and may return to seek other options after another cuppa!

Arriving 30mins later, same train back.
    If my usual 2 associates tag along, then we can get Chich-Barnham open rtn on groupsave for £1.90 each, a tiny bit galling when the London-Chich bit was just £1.35 each, rtn(!), but hey ho - at least it would provide flexibility for the number of jokers consumed in Maypole & Bridge.

The process was pretty stressful, I quickly found my ticket options but added the selection to my saved box and went on to search other trips, Lewes etc. After a couple of error messages, as the system slowed down, it decided I didn't have anything in my saved box, so I had to start again. Finally got the same trains, so paid individually, and may return to seek other options after another cuppa!
    Excellent news!

I have also secured tickets to Eastbourne, so if anyone wants to join me, here are the details!

Outward journey
    13 Aug 2011
    Depart:
    Clapham Junction dep. 09:53
    Arrive:
    Eastbourne, 11:13
    Changes: 0 Duration: 1h 20m
    Advance Single 90% off£0.90
    Route: Southern train services only

Return journey
    13 Aug 2011
    Depart:
    Eastbourne dep. 20:31
    Arrive:
    Clapham Junction, 21:51
    Changes: 0 Duration: 1h 20m

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

As you're doing Chichester, I may tag along - I'm en-route (train splits at Horsham) although it may be simpler for me just to buy a ticket on the day.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years