Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Unknown closed pub on Commercial Road, Gloucester

Default Unknown closed pub on Commercial Road, Gloucester

Does anyone recognise this pub? I've got a couple of photos of it that I'd like to add to the site.

The nearest I can come to it is The Blackfriars Inn, 10 Commercial Road, Gloucester, but the shop next door is The Tile & Flooring Studio and its address is 16 Commercial Road. The only other suggestion I can find is The Black Swan, 2 Commercial Road, but Royal Mail lists 20 flats there and this old pub is only now being converted, so I don't think that can be it. (Besides, it would be completely eccentric to have no.2 next door to no.16.)

According to the plaque on the wall, it was an old West Country Breweries tied house, if that helps.

Any ideas?
    Come On You Hatters!

I'll stay on me own

Hi Sheffield Hatter, I dont know about the pub you are talking about but it is definatly not the Black Swan i went in there on 17 May 2003 and have just had a look at its photo i will add it to PG so you can see what it looks like. I have also checked my Gloucestershire real ale guide dated 1996 which listed all pubs in Gloucestershire and there were no pubs on commercial road at this time, so it must have closed down quite a few years ago. Sorry thats the best i can do for you.

Teetotal

Default commercial inn gloucester

[QUOTE=sheffield hatter;32761]Does anyone recognise this pub? I've got a couple of photos of it that I'd like to add to the site.

The nearest I can come to it is The Blackfriars Inn, 10 Commercial Road, Gloucester, but the shop next door is The Tile & Flooring Studio and its address is 16 Commercial Road. The only other suggestion I can find is The Black Swan, 2 Commercial Road, but Royal Mail lists 20 flats there and this old pub is only now being converted, so I don't think that can be it. (Besides, it would be completely eccentric to have no.2 next door to no.16.)

According to the plaque on the wall, it was an old West Country Breweries tied house, if that help.i have found a token while metal detecting and it says the commercial inn gloucester and as the name hawkin stamped across the middle .so as there is a commercial rd i thought this might be where it was situated i will try and find more info

Teetotal

hi went metal detecting and dug up a token that says commercial inn gloucester and the name hawkin stamped across the middle and as there is a commercial rd in gloucester i thought that might be its address i will try and find out more info

It would appear to be the Blackfriars Inn

http://ukpubhistory.com/Gloucestersh...riarsInn.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    It would appear to be the Blackfriars Inn
    I had doubts about that because the Blackfriars is/was no.10 but the building next door to this pub is no.16 (see streetview), but I've now found this, which clearly identifies the empty pub as the Blackfriars Inn and locates it next to 16-18 Commercial Road. It looks like the street must have been renumbered some time, or else the numbering was a little more haphazard than I'm used to.

I'd still be interested in the token that jeffdyer dug up, as I haven't found any other reference to a Commercial Inn in Gloucester.

Thanks to all for your help.
    Come On You Hatters!