Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 29 May 2011)

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Down to earth with a bump this week. Only two halves all week, during a flying visit to The Station Inn, Whitby. Basically It's Cameron 'Strongarm' vs Black Dog 'Whitby Abbey'. The Black Dog had slightly more going for it.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Some really great ale supped on a voyage around Staffordshire ,so a very difficult task to pick a BOTW.However on balance this goes to Titanic White Star in excellent form in The Sun,Stafford.The bitter finish of this smooth premium ale just demands another and it held it's own in a drink off versus Oakham Akhenaten.

A poor week with only 7 different ales sampled and not a single new beer for me between them. I was going to use up my trump card of St Austell Tribute but I will save that for another poor week. Instead I will opt for the Whitstable Oyster Stout at Dartford's Paper Moon, always a good reliable pint.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Down to earth with a bump this week. Only two halves all week, during a flying visit to The Station Inn, Whitby. Basically It's Cameron 'Strongarm' vs Black Dog 'Whitby Abbey'. The Black Dog had slightly more going for it.
    Ah,'Strongarm' I seem to remember a great deal of rivalry between it and Vaux 'Double Maxim'.As a stranger in those parts I liked both, but majored on Strongarm. No pub this week!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

There must be more to this Beer of the Week thread than meets the eye - my beer never gets into the list.

Do I have to offer a financial (or beery) inducement to Galore Admin?
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Well see, it is a highly complicated process, you need to either make it prominent so for instance bold or say that it is your beer of the week, otherwise I just assume you are telling us you drunk it.

Late submission due to being in Ciutadella by the end of the week.

BOTW is going to be Phoenix Pale Imitation.

After a few weeks in the doldrums (in my opinion) the Phoenix beers are back on form.

Tony says it was because they were being left in the holding tanks too long before being barreled due to a shortage of casks.

Sounded a bit glib when he said it though, so who knows. Anyway, this one was back on form.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Ah,'Strongarm' I seem to remember a great deal of rivalry between it and Vaux 'Double Maxim'.As a stranger in those parts I liked both, but majored on Strongarm.
    TBH I hadn't seen it in years and was curious to try it, as I remembered it being a really tasty drop. However, I was a tad disappointed. Realistically, I'm sure it's a combination of deteriorating numbers of taste buds, not being the beer it was and generally having moved away from that style of beer.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.