Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Looking for a pub historian?

Default Looking for a pub historian?

My sister and I are finally heading to the UK from Canada. We will be looking into some family history in the Burlesdon area. Apparently there was a pub, my brother thought it was called The White Swan, that had pictures behind the bar of the ships our ancestor built at the Elephant Ship Yard. I can't seem to locate the pub and I am hoping that someone might be able to help us. We are heading to the Southampton area around June 16th and will stay a few days to learn some family history first hand. The shipbuilder was Philomen Ewer and that is our family name. If anyone has some information, we would really appreciate it!
    We also learned that at some time, the Burlesdon area ran out of wood to make the ships and did an exchange of bricks for wood with the town of Oakville Ontario. This was an amazing fact, because at one time we lived in Oakville. We are excited about our upcoming visit and hope there are a few people out there who can help us. Thank you
    Joanne Young

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

According to The Lost Pubs Project website, which is a good source of information there was a Swan Hotel in Burlesdon on the corner of Church Lane and Bridge Road. Unfortunately it has now been developed into residential flats. There is a Swan Court in that area so I imagine it's that.

Good luck with your research and enjoy your trip.
    Last edited by Millay; 21-05-2011 at 19:36.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Default thanks for the info

I appreciate your quick reply- will take a look at the webs-site

Default The Swan now flats?

Does that mean it is torn down- and homes were built? Or is the pub now a type of hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    According to The Lost Pubs Project website, which is a good source of information there was a Swan Hotel in Burlesdon on the corner of Church Road and Bridge Lane. Unfortunately it has now been developed into residential flats.

Good luck with your research and enjoy your trip.

This Space For Hire

The 1871 census has a Ewer family (Head John Ewer, age 54, b Burlesdon, occ. fisherman) living next to the Swan PH. - The street address is simply Burlesdon Village which is unhelpful.

John was a fisherman 30 years before in 1841. His father, Richard, age 52 (so b abt 1789) was a sailor. Next door lived Henry Doswell, the handwriting is difficult but his occupation looks like Maltster, and thus possibly brewer and seller of ale. The 1841 census does not give street addresses unfortunately.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Yes, it's been torn down and is now a block of flats. If you enter Swan Court Bursledon into Google Maps you can view the area on Streetview.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Default flats

Yes, google maps- I did exactly that! Isnt it amazing? So i went through my notes- my great great grandfather was Charles Ewer- 1796-1870- He had 7 sons- and one of them was a Richard-(1825) and another was Frederick Edwards Ewer (1830-1901) who is my great grandfather.
    So sad to hear that the pub was torn down- since it had pictures of the ships that were built at the boat yard. Thanks for the info- perhaps someone will have more to pass along. thanks again Nick

You should also contact Hampshire Record Office in Winchester (just opposite the railway station), they may have information from sources not yet on line. In my experience they are very friendly and helpful, tell them everything you know and what information you want to find and if it is there they will they will find it or point you to possible sources. A useful source for pubs, and other businesses, will be the Trade Directories of the period and if it's after 1869 the Licensing records and/or newspaper reports (probably in the Hampshire Chronicle) of the Brewster Sessions (Usually Sept/Oct).

thanks for the suggestions!