Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to name and shame the poor standards provided in pubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I may be mis-remembering but I think that stopping flame wars was part of the reason we only allowed one review...we will just need to police it well when it becomes necessary...
    One review sounds good to me, Conrad. I haven't gone through the pub reviews to any great extent as yet, but I feel that if only your last review stands, that has to give a more accurate picture of the pub as it is today than multiple reviews that reflect the pub more as it was than as it is. Nonetheless, I would prefer it if there was an archive availabe.
    Some who know me from another place, will be aware of my somewhat 'hard-line' opinion on moderation, or censorship, call it what you will. I like the fact that this forum appears to well-monitored, but my experience is that moderation must start early, if the wars, troll or flame, get started they are damn hard to root out. Once a target, it seems, always a target.
    Ok, I think I managed to stop this turning into a rant. Bring on the 'Beast'...oh, rat's bits, I'm out.

Dark Island.............
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Former Pubs Galore Coder

The trouble I have with the only current review aspect is that part of the value in a site like this comes from showing what pubs were like in the past. I don't want to see good reviews removed for a user to just replace it with 'Now closed'. Also it may be more creditable to a publican if there is a record of them turning the pub around.

I am great believer in the fact that with the right tools/design you can make things work well for most people (not such a great believer that we manage that , one day), so some sort of archive aspect to reviewing may be the way forward.

In defence of other places we have not attracted much abuse on this forum yet (just the usual spam), it remains a bit of an unknown how we deal with it. I have no problem with deleting posts, but it has to be done for the right reasons, not just for mentioning JDW . Whilst I hope no one feels the need to use it (certainly yet), this forum does have an ignore function allowing you to ignore posters who clearly rub you up the wrong way. I mention this as it is possibly a line of defence if this ever does become an issue. Also any member should feel free to PM me or Dave if they want to privately address any issues.

Real Ale Drinker

Good comments

I thought I would have a quick look at the Mercian bit of a classic example that one.

The first 3 replies are fairly meaningless compared to your complaint as they have rated no other pubs (although Jacky Walker doesn't have to I guess, if I was being brutal I would rather she focused on the pub rather than social class. I guess you are just going to have to start reading the Sun instead of the Mail Hoppy ) and Colin Gooch as a regular (where has he gone in fact) has an opinion that deserves credit and can be checked by looking at his other reviews, not sure why he gave the pub 0 stars though .

Found myself defending JDW yesterday in conversation for at least being consistent in having disabled facilities
    I have to defend myself.. You don't know The Merican until you have visited it yourself. The Mercian usually serve flat beers (I have been served flat beers in 3 separate occasions. Its decor is so Eighties and rather iffy customers.

OMG! you actually defending ?! Aye JDW is very good with disabled people. My local JDW, Silk Kite, is just one example and fitted with ramps so wheelchair users can go to toilet via ramps.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    I have to defend myself.. You don't know The Merican until you have visited it yourself. The Mercian usually serve flat beers (I have been served flat beers in 3 separate occasions. Its decor is so Eighties and rather iffy customers.
    You don't understand though Hoppie they are saving the fizz to support the local community

You don't understand though Hoppie they are saving the fizz to support the local community
    True..Maybe I am marked man in The Mercian!

Oh where did you get that "whistle" smiley from?? i dont see one in message box..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

It should be 3rd one up from the bottom, middle of the row. I felt I need a whistle smiley as I frequently resort to mild sarcasm.

It should be 3rd one up from the bottom, middle of the row. I felt I need a whistle smiley as I frequently resort to mild sarcasm.
    Excuse me.. I should have gone to Specsavers...

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post

OMG! you actually defending ?!JDW is very g Aye ood with disabled people. My local JDW, Silk Kite, is just one example and fitted with ramps so wheelchair users can go to toilet via ramps.
    I have not found a JDW unsuitable for wheelchair users.I only have two complaints and these are by no means restricted to JDW. It is common for the gents to be on another floor. The more idle of the male customers ask for the disabled key and leave the door open for future use. Men being poor judges of distance ( or over estimating the length of their equipment) miss the bowel and turn the floor into a huge puddle.What little does make the bowel is never flushed away. The staff rarely insist the door is locked or the area is clean. Strangely this behaviour does not apply to women.
    The other problem is the siting of games machines,pool tables,dart boards,TV's and tables/chairs far to close to the door of the toilet. Increased facilities for the disabled are appreciated but clear access is important.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    . Men being poor judges of distance ( or over estimating the length of their equipment) miss the bowel and turn the floor into a huge puddle.What little does make the bowel is never flushed away.
    Hope you meant bowl & not bowel, or has JDW some hidden reputation ?