Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to name and shame the poor standards provided in pubs.

If you check The Mercian, Tamworth on PG and I posted very negative post.

Suddenly everyone had right go at me.. But I stand corrected as it is pretty awful pub. Everyone has their opinon and I know some people HATE JDW but I accept.. Not everyone likes JDW including Conrad himself.

Oh well you cant win everyone

Hoppy
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Well I was going to remark yet another thread ends in toilet humour but seeing as its Hoppy's JDW post I dont think its wise. I have found the male customers of JDW some of the worst for misuse of the Disabled Toilet by leaving the door open for their mates to use. The consternation it causes when they find the door locked and they have to bound up the stairs two at a time to the Gents. Sorry its my boyish sense of humour.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    If you check The Mercian, Tamworth on PG and I posted very negative post.

Suddenly everyone had right go at me.. But I stand corrected as it is pretty awful pub. Everyone has their opinon and I know some people HATE JDW but I accept.. Not everyone likes JDW including Conrad himself.

Oh well you cant win everyone

Hoppy
    I thought I would have a quick look at the Mercian bit of a classic example that one.

The first 3 replies are fairly meaningless compared to your complaint as they have rated no other pubs (although Jacky Walker doesn't have to I guess, if I was being brutal I would rather she focused on the pub rather than social class. I guess you are just going to have to start reading the Sun instead of the Mail Hoppy ) and Colin Gooch as a regular (where has he gone in fact) has an opinion that deserves credit and can be checked by looking at his other reviews, not sure why he gave the pub 0 stars though .

Found myself defending JDW yesterday in conversation for at least being consistent in having disabled facilities

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Seems like some are taking the "name & shame" to heart already

White House, Penhallow, Cornwall

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55621/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Seems like some are taking the "name & shame" to heart already

White House, Penhallow, Cornwall

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55621/
    Well unlike some at least it is well worded, as ever wish they left some reviews of the pubs they actually liked. As so often is the case, bad service is worth commenting on, but not the good.

Anyway aren't school dinners supposed to be fantastic these days? Good old Saint Jamie.

Mind you we always get our reviewers who are trouble makers .

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Ho Ho, the last reviewer [full of praise, works there I wonder?] seems to be out of step, not really place to discuss his review, but the "suited crowd" was the Marconi folk from Waterlooville, of which I was one

Wish I had run the Mead End, or at least had money to run it

Reading Neil Robinson reviews he seems to have same thoughts as I on pubs around here

Now, is it possible to send PM to him? he obviously lives local to me, maybe we could have quite pint or two?
    Last edited by Farway; 04-01-2010 at 15:35. Reason: typo

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Reading Neil Robinson reviews he seems to have same thoughts as I on pubs around here

Now, is it possible to send PM to him? he obviously lives local to me, maybe we could have quite pint or two?
    Interestingly this is the sort of thing that Pubs Galore was originally set up for, hence the old name of the site was Regulars Reunited.

Our policy has always been that we are happy to forward on emails to other users. To outline the negatives of this, we will read the email you are sending, and they will have your email address, but you will not have theirs. If they choose to reply though we are then out of the loop altogether Looks like Neil has been recently active on the site as well, so fair chance he would get the email.

Would love to work back towards the more social aspects of the site one day.

Edit: Should have said, Neil is not active on the forum. When I find time I will do a post about how to find out that sort of thing, but basically if you look at Neil's (or anyone's) page on PG and check the address bar, the name in it is the same as their nickname on the forum.

The Mercian and the White House are great examples of the kind non reviews that become site wreckers when you get too much of them. At the Mercian we get an indignant licensee and her friends writing to defend the pub's reputation, followed by a note just replying to the others - as you say Conrad, meaningless as pub reviews. At the White House a couple of classic examples of people with an axe to grind about bad food or service complete with shouty man, meaningless one sided comments about the bludy food, that tell me almost nothing about the pub, from people we're never likely to see on here again .

I wouldn't presume to censor anyone but there may be times when a "review" is so valueless or so out of date that it doesn't make sense to keep it and as for Flame Wars forget it!

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Well unlike some at least it is well worded, as ever wish they left some reviews of the pubs they actually liked. As so often is the case, bad service is worth commenting on, but not the good.

Amen! Reminds me, I must get some reviews up shortly

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I wouldn't presume to censor anyone but there may be times when a "review" is so valueless or so out of date that it doesn't make sense to keep it and as for Flame Wars forget it!
    It is a hard one, I agree with you, censorship is not a good thing, and certainly there are reviews that are completely pointless, particularly foodie ones where the chef is likely to change, especially if they are bad. I think we need some feature to indicate that the review was left in a different generation (management, chef, twigs have changed?).

I may be mis-remembering but I think that stopping flame wars was part of the reason we only allowed one review, they quickly become non-sensical if it is all done through editing reviews. Regardless though that is the wrong way to go, we will just need to police it well when it becomes necessary.