Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What has the trade come to ?

Real Ale Drinker

Default What has the trade come to ?

We were visiting some family in Slough yesterday,and wanting to get out of the house it was suggested the men go and have a drink so the girlies can have time to catch up,we visited one pub local to them all,it was a disaster £26:70 for a round of drinks,the fosters was as flat as a pancake,the landlord was swirling it round in the glass as he was pouring it,the toilets were disgusting and foul smelling of p*** fungai growing on windows like a typical public toilet in a shopping precent.
    The pub had 2 people in there yet they still decided to have sky sports blaring out and on top of that the jukebox playing music so loud you could not hold a conversation,in the end i asked the landlord to turn the music off which he did.

This made me think why do people put up with this? one person told me that the music was so loud xmas eve it drove people away,and he also had the sky tv blaring away? is this aceptable in todays society,why would you bother going out to such an uncomfortable surroundings,would any of you really be bothered or have i missed something here? oh by the way xmas eve at 23:30 there was a total of 3 men including the landlord in that pub....maybe my disgust has been noted by the locals at last.

The glib popular answer is a lot of people don't put up with it hence 50 pubs a week are closing. I'm suprised a pub with the level of service and the number of customers you describe is still open. Sounds like other people are voting with their feet, as you did, and the pub could be shut soon.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    The glib popular answer is a lot of people don't put up with it hence 50 pubs a week are closing. I'm suprised a pub with the level of service and the number of customers you describe is still open. Sounds like other people are voting with their feet, as you did, and the pub could be shut soon.
    Spot on. I am frequently amazed some of the pubs I visit on my travels are still open. I have been in some absolute dives over the years. On the other hand I have known many decent pubs close down.

The fact is if people stop going out and using them, pubs - both good and bad - will continue to disappear.

Real Ale Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Oldboots i was totally shocked to think people would actually want to leave there house to visit such a place,it makes you wonder why.

Some pubs thrive on loud music / TV's / karaoke etc. I was in a pub in Gateshead recently that in my world was truly appaling with all the things I hate about pubs (before you ask, I was looking for somewhere showing the footy and this was the only place around!). It was packed to the rafters with low life but the point is that it was packed! Clearly it works for them and it didn't bother the people inside who presumably come back for more of the same every weekend although it will never get my custom again. If a pub is empty then it is up to the management to sit down and ask him/herself why and do something about it. How many pubs have been lost purely because the management or owners clearly haven't got a clue how to run a pub or make efforts to satisfy thier potential customer base? I would wager that it is a number far higher than economic reasons. It's not rocket science - if something isn't working, do something to change it. What is there to lose? Unfortunately too many pubs seem to think they are only there for themselves.

Real Ale Drinker

Roger very good comment,had a good laugh about the low life?

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Agree there are some awful pubs around, and as they close they wail about cheap booze from supermarkets, tax etc, never look at themselves

Two local to me closed near end of 2008, both were taken over early 2009 and are now thriving, in one I asked landlady how things were going, her takings have increased 1000%, just by being friendly, and more importantly being open, previous one never seemed to be open when expected, plus of course keeping out undesirables & trouble

I think one publican poster on here [Eddie?] had right idea, after a bad review contacted poster, apologised and tried to make amends, what a change from either ignoring complaints or threaten legal action
    Last edited by Farway; 03-01-2010 at 12:58.

Unhappy state of the nation

As Oldboots said, it's all about voting with your feet. My local has been closed, and I've just found out it is to be demolished and the land used for a sewage control plant. There's a sort of poetic justice there I feel!

Real Ale Drinker

Good comments farway.

Real Ale Drinker

Like the way you are thinking.