Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pub of the Month (May 2011)

This Space For Hire

The Salopian, Shrewsbury. Serves 5 or 6 good regularly changing brews. Had a great chat with the landlord and a few of the punters last Wednesday. There was a dreadful Spearmint Mild on in there, which I had been flagged (by the barman!) as a disappointment, but as it was heavily discounted I gave it a go anyway. It was as it sounds. Despite that there were some great brews on, including Salopian's Lemon Dream. A slight kick of lemon but also a Belgian yeast kick. Somewhere you just feel at home right away.

Other notable pubs this month were the Port St Beer House in Manchester, which is making changing trains there a bit more tolerable. Also North Bar in Leeds, but I'll save that nomination for in a month or two's time after the American beer fest. The Ship and Castle in Aberystwyth was in great form too, with several exceptional ales on and free pool, which every pub should offer. Well worth the space it takes up. Rather than popping in for a pint as I might have done, it made 6 of us stay for 4 or 5 drinks each.

I haven't been to enough pubs in the past few months, but the pick of the bunch must be the Cricketers Arms in Berwick, East Sussex.It's been on my wishlist since the mid 70's, and we finally made it this year. It is, inevitably, food-led,but not overpriced for an affluent and tourist based national park. As beer lovers, I think that we tend towards the multi ale freehouse-I know that we haven't been in another Harvey's tied house for a long while,but I found the fact that it was a Harvey's pub reassuring. They don't seem to mess their pubs about,and the beer was superlative on both visits. South country beer, in my opinion, is designed for gravity dispense (I was brought up round it...), and the beer here is drawn from a cellar area out back from the bar.As well as the ubiquitous and in this case excellent Sussex Best bitter, I enjoyed 4X old, Armada, Olympia and Knots of May Light MILD.
    In front, a well kept and attractive garden,knapped flint,flagstones, open fires. Almost my perfect English pub, lacking only a dedicated drinking area,but sadly I fear that it wouldn't be really viable, given today's pressures. Excellent.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

In May I enjoyed my visit to Cheddar, where there was not much to choose between the Kings Head and the Gardeners Arms. Also in Somerset, another Kings Head, this one in Merriott, was another excellent night out.

In Manchester, my visits to the Marble Arch and the Castle, enjoyable enough at the time, were given a retrospective flavour of disappointment by the result of the game at the City of Manchester Stadium later that afternoon (we lost on penalties).

I enjoyed my Bradfield 61/62 bus pub crawl, the highlight of which may have been winning the quiz at the Nags Head.

My pub of the month was the unexpectedly delightful Cafe Rene in Gloucester.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Haven't been to cafe Rene for years. It was a Mad O'Rourkes pub when we were last there, and the ceiling and some walls were all winw bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    My pub of the month was the unexpectedly delightful Cafe Rene in Gloucester.
    Duly noted - I'll hopefully be going to Gloucester in September!