The Salopian, Shrewsbury. Serves 5 or 6 good regularly changing brews. Had a great chat with the landlord and a few of the punters last Wednesday. There was a dreadful Spearmint Mild on in there, which I had been flagged (by the barman!) as a disappointment, but as it was heavily discounted I gave it a go anyway. It was as it sounds. Despite that there were some great brews on, including Salopian's Lemon Dream. A slight kick of lemon but also a Belgian yeast kick. Somewhere you just feel at home right away.

Other notable pubs this month were the Port St Beer House in Manchester, which is making changing trains there a bit more tolerable. Also North Bar in Leeds, but I'll save that nomination for in a month or two's time after the American beer fest. The Ship and Castle in Aberystwyth was in great form too, with several exceptional ales on and free pool, which every pub should offer. Well worth the space it takes up. Rather than popping in for a pint as I might have done, it made 6 of us stay for 4 or 5 drinks each.