Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Plymouth Gin, should it be removed?

Glass Half Empty

Thanks Rex, I was wondering about that - though some friends of mine have apparently been successful in getting a beer in the Tryst. I might give it a go myself next time in the area, just to satisfy my curiosity. I may also cheat by taking an attractive young lady with me, to maximise my chances!

I am sure you are right that when a pub becomes something else, it is better to close off the pub without changing it's name to whatever it has become, to preserve the historical pub record.

Coming back to Old Boots' and others' points about loads of stuff on the site that no-one wants to review - it strikes me that an easy way to clear lots of it off would be a mass delete of all Cafe Rouges, La Tascas, and probably about a dozen other chains people could think of that obviously aren't pubs. Few are reviewed, and where they are usually just by someone pointing out it's not a pub. I was toying with the idea of starting a thread proposing that, though there may well have been a previous one from before my time. Only drawbacks I can think of are (a) if photographers want them on, or (b) if we lost a lot of previous pub history by doing that - though I can't see we would if they are only listed as the non-pubs they are now. Would appreciate any thoughts.
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

Cafe Rouge and La Tasca were discussed on this thread.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Thanks Strongers.

I will need to chat with Dave to get a consensus, but broadly I am amenable to deleting them.

It does raise an interesting dilemma, technically with many of them you can walk in and get a pint without paying entrance. Whilst I am becoming less fixated on rules, it would be nice to have a justification for deleting them (I know that could be considered a little hypocritical).

There is a cross-section of photography on them, and the photographers aren't really represented on the forum, which is awkward, but if we can justify it I am pretty much at the point where I am willing to delete them.

The other question is can anyone remember reading a decent review of one? And what would we do if we did receive a decent review of one.

At what point does a foody pub become a restaurant with a licence? I think Le Tasca has crossed that point, but I have been in pubs I would primarily go in to eat that I still consider pubs.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I class myself mainly as photographer & occasional reviewer, and have submitted photo of a cafe rouge, TBH I have never been in one, and it never even crossed my mind that it was anything other than a place you could just get a drink in

Although it may upset the sensibilities of the CAMRA crew I think they should stay

Never seen a La Tasca so unable to comment on them

Round here there are many foody pubs, and like Conrad I go in to eat mainly, but some of them do in fact have real ale, one of which is Hinton Arms which ticks all boxes although it can never be a "local" as there are just not that many dwellings there to support it these days

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I have the opposite problem, I have never seen a Cafe Rouge, I think it is over 5 years since I went in a La Tasca, and the only reason I would have bought a drink there is whilst waiting for a table, but it may just be me.

I am equally happy to let them stay, but it would be a pity if they are never reviewed, which I suppose is at the back of my mind.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I have the opposite problem, I have never seen a Cafe Rouge.
    Haven't you ever been to Cabot Circus? Or walked up Park Street?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    Haven't you ever been to Cabot Circus?
    3 times I think, or to put it another way, not if I can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    Or walked up Park Street?
    Now this is a bit more of a mystery, off to look at a map and work out how blind I am.

Edit: Ok I have seen that one, obviously if I was out for a drink in that area I would go to the very fine JDW 5/6 doors away (just kidding)

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post

Although it may upset the sensibilities of the CAMRA crew I think they should stay
    I dont think these eating establishment should stay on the site and i am not a member of camra or in the camra crew.

I have never been in either La Tasca or Cafe Rouge and would'nt dare go in one of these places just for a drink as i dont think i would be made welcome.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I dont think these eating establishment should stay on the site and i am not a member of camra or in the camra crew.

I have never been in either La Tasca or Cafe Rouge and would'nt dare go in one of these places just for a drink as i dont think i would be made welcome.
    Can you describe why you wouldn't dare go in one for a drink Alan. I feel the same, but I couldn't say the exact reason for it, which makes it a little hard to decide where a pub becomes a restaurant and vice-versa.

I'll stay on me own

The only way to describe it is i would feel very uneasy going in one of these places.As most people on the site know i will go in any open pub whatever it looks like and i have no problem going in Slug & lettuces or Yates's but i just think these places are too far down the SIT DOWN and WAIT for a MEAL route i must admit this is a guess because i have as said before i have never been in one and probably never will.