Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What plans have you all for New Years Eve.

Real Ale Drinker

Default What plans have you all for New Years Eve.

As i try to recover my senses it has dawned on me that i am going to have to suffer a little bit more, after a lovely xmas day at my friends pub i have been celebrating probably a bit to often, the body feels drained from the grip of drink, i keep telling myself that is the last time,but it certainly is not because i have more family arriving and we have some decisions on what pub shall we go to,both are charging entry fee (my ticket is free) included is a free pint and there will be a buffet added as the night goes on,so with disco it should be interesting.

Anyhow what are you guys planning in your hometown, going out,staying in to keep wife happy and maybe a little romance? or having some hardcore partying.

Always nice to know what makes everyone happy,whatever you choose have a great evening.

Hi,

I shall do what I always do. Have an enormous Chinese takeaway with my daughter and partner. A couple of bottles of wine to wash it down.

My days of going out on New Years Eve are long gone. I always objected to having to pay to go in a pub ( they will gladly drag me in the rest of the year ! ). I have never been one to sit in the same pub all night and having a pub crawl on NYE is almost impossible.

I feel a bit drained from drinking pretty constantly over the last week but I do have a big crawl planned for tomorrow afternoon and then the Villa match.

Cheers,

Del.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Hi,
    My days of going out on New Years Eve are long gone. I always objected to having to pay to go in a pub ( they will gladly drag me in the rest of the year ! ). I have never been one to sit in the same pub all night and having a pub crawl on NYE is almost impossible.

... I do have a big crawl planned for tomorrow afternoon and then the Villa match.
    Certainly agree with your sentiment about NYE. Who the hell wants to pay for the privilege of being squashed like a sardine next to some acne ridden hobbledehoy? If I'm lucky, I'll squeeze a couple of pints in before going round to our friends nearby for intensive red wine and malt whisky therapy..........I think I'd need to go on a crawl before watching Villa.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I will do what I (almost) always do and get bladdered. I used to go out with friends to a pub until a few years back, we would purloin a corner of our local and sit there all night. In spite of this the normal tradition for most people round our way was a fancy dress pub crawl. As you say Delboy the modern trend for tickets only and bouncer mania has put paid to that tradition. I shall spend this Hogmanany at home with family and with some select bottled beers and a big bottle of Glen Morangie - slantie va

I've just remembered I've got a bottle of Westvlertern (Belgian abbey beer) hidden away, that should start the evening off well as it's 12%. As it's brewed by monks it's all very holy and stuff and not like drinking real beer at all; in fact it's probably some sort of religious duty or something to neck this; and very sacred. I bet you go straight to hell if you don't drink this actually. Well that's what I told the wife when it cost me 12 euros for a bottle.
    Last edited by oldboots; 28-12-2009 at 18:39. Reason: forgot the Westvlertern

Sadly I personally feel that the New Millennium Eve gave the wrong idea to a lot of people - charge entrance, put door staff on etc etc. Now for pubs like us, who provide a more traditional NYE (aka a special menu in the restaurant and a certain Mr Holland on the tele) without charging entry (I'd be pissed if I drank in my local 3 or 4 times a week all year to then have to pay just to get in one night), a lot of people don't bother coming out. We're starting to get a reputation for a quieter, dare I say it more traditional NYE with shampoo at midnight, but a lot of our customer base spend NYE at home or at friends now.

I work the bar every NYE, as apart from anything else it means taking 10 mins out with mum and dad with a glass bubbly. It also means I can't get tempted to act my age and spend far too much money entering the local club for the inevitable disappointment at midnight (nothing actually happens...)

Right.. I paid for NYE tickets at my local, The Fox (Hopwas) and it has sold out already. Starting at 7.30pm and finishing at 1.30am.

But before that, I will be dining in Chinese Restaurant with my elderly parents in town then few bevvys in town pubs. After that, I will catch taxi to Fox... LETS PARTY!!!

Only problem is I will be nursing my hangover next day as I have to be at Tamworth FC for Kettering FC game..

Oh well I am gettimg used to it as I have been in last 15 years...
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I will most likely stay at home with the wife, weather reports are suggesting snow (although apparently it was supposed to be snowing outside now and isn't) and I am not the hardy person I used to be, going out looking like the Michelin man lacks some style.

Did used to enjoy crowding in the pubs up until a few years ago, think I have only ever paid to get into a venue once on NYE (and that was a night club so slightly justified). I fear it is a sign of getting old that that has lost its appeal.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I will be doing my normal miserable old git on NYE, a few quite bevvies indoors whilst getting more annoyed at cr*p on the tele, wander off to bed before midnight slightly fuzzy then get woken up by bluddy fireworks

Bah humbug

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Did used to enjoy crowding in the pubs up until a few years ago, think I have only ever paid to get into a venue once on NYE (and that was a night club so slightly justified)
    I used go to night club on NYE every year in my youth days then I decided against go to 2002 new year in nightclub (due to rising costs) Didnt celebrate in nightclub since then. Now I go to pub on NYE as it is far cheaper and easier to serve beers.

Most important of all... Pub will serve real ales while nightclub doesnt!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I am at friends, with the family, in Lichfield. Hope to get a few pubs in during the day though.
    MILD: