Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pubs in the north are much better than pubs in south.

Real Ale Drinker

Default Pubs in the north are much better than pubs in south.

I used to get around the north on a regular basis and any excuse i would stay out for a few days,my own little bit of man time which sadly the ladies in our lives do not appreciate.
    I used to get round Birmingham, Walsall,Warrington,Runcorn,St Helens,Bolton,Rochdale,Manchester,Leeds Wakefield,Derby,Sheffield,Northampton and many more areas, it was great to be in those pubs serving good beer at low prices,i would always get through about £30 per night and always went looking for a good curry house to round the night of.
    Made a lot of friends along the way and they never seem to forget me when i return sometime later? strange that?

Maybe a section of good B&B Guest houses on the forum could be a good idea,ones that are near to boozers,then maybe i could phone and book and get back up north for some great entertainment,good company and great beer.

*dives for cover when Faraway comes back and read this*
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post

*dives for cover when Faraway comes back and read this*
    Never mind Faraway, that's a gross calumny, fighting talk. C'mon Miss Tilly, put 'em up. Hang on arf a mo...... Right, where are yer...
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

I have lived in the South of England, the North of England and Scotland, I have drank all over the UK from Zennor in Cornwall to Wick in the far north of Scotland, from Ulster to Norfolk, and each area has pubs with their own special magic.

We are very lucky to have our wide range of pubs from the rural time capsules of the Sun at Lentwardine, or the Newport at Braishfield to the high Victorian splendour of pubs like the Philly in Liverpool or the Bartons Arms in Aston, we have weird and wonderful pubs, estate pubs, city centre dives, foody pubs, sports pubs, pubs with strippers, music pubs, canal side pubs, tickers pubs, the basic old boozer,and even JDW...........

and guess what, I have my favourites but I love them all, although sometimes they infuriate me, worry me, even scare me. I don't care where they are, it doesn't really matter. What matters is the beer and the company not location.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I have lived in the South of England, the North of England and Scotland, I have drank all over the UK from Zennor in Cornwall to Wick in the far north of Scotland, from Ulster to Norfolk, and each area has pubs with their own special magic.

We are very lucky to have our wide range of pubs from the rural time capsules of the Sun at Lentwardine, or the Newport at Braishfield to the high Victorian splendour of pubs like the Philly in Liverpool or the Bartons Arms in Aston, we have weird and wonderful pubs, estate pubs, city centre dives, foody pubs, sports pubs, pubs with strippers, music pubs, canal side pubs, tickers pubs, the basic old boozer,and even JDW...........

and guess what, I have my favourites but I love them all, although sometimes they infuriate me, worry me, even scare me. I don't care where they are, it doesn't really matter. What matters is the beer and the company not location.
    Hurumph! Anti - Welsh are you then?

I agree though, a good pub is the sum of it's parts, not good just because of one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    Anywhere in Cymru is good although I have some doubts about Aber - bloody - wryst- bloody- wyth and some drunk old git in Port Talbot accused me of being English and not in a good way

anyway my grandad's granny came from Llanwryswl, boyo

yacci dah

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post

I agree though, a good pub is the sum of it's parts, not good just because of one of them.
    Remember, whilst the Australians have Fosters, the Welsh have Brains
    MILD:

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Right, quick visit before the big day, bluddy cheek

I have travelled around a lot, & like oldboots all from from Cornwall to Skye, had good, bad & indifferent beer everywhere.

As for pubs & people I think it all depends what you are used to and general attitudes of the locals, for instance in Wales the sods where speaking English, then went into Welsh when we walked in, opposite on Skye, they were talking in Gaelic, switched to English when we walked in. In Liverpool never understood a blooming word anyway

If PG are going to list B & B, how about churches? Always a pub near a church

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    If PG are going to list B & B, how about churches? Always a pub near a church

PG does - I have reviewed a few churches - on in Hockley, one in Quarry Bank........
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    PG does - I have reviewed a few churches - on in Hockley........
    I smiled!

Have you ever reviewed pub bearing name of Twig?..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/