Visit the a swift one site

One piece of local news that has eluded me in the past few weeks, is the choice of the local Camra's choice for Pub Of The Year. I have heard rumours but until I had it officially confirmed I did not want to pre-empt any decision from them, after all, I have fallen foul of them in the past.

I received an e mail this morning inviting me to the award presentation, this afternoon, to the Sportsman, strangely though it is a joint award and nowhere does it tell me who the other joint winners are, I wait with bated breath !

The Sportsman has been transformed in the last 2 years from a basic back street boozer, much avoided by discerning drinkers, to a must visit real ale pub, well established on the local circuit and attracting drinkers from far and wide. The beer range is mainly locally sourced, Mallinsons always features, along with Taylors and something from the Black Sheep stable. There are now real ciders available, with a growing range of foreign beers, both in bottles and on draught.

Beer festivals are occasionally held, like this weekend, to celebrate the pub's 2nd anniversary. We have been treated to 'Meet The Brewer Nights' and beer tasting evenings and the pub is getting a reputation for its good, home cooked food.

Its success in such a short time is down to the vision of Mike Field and the enthusiastic leadership of Sam, and her team. They deserve their award.

More...