Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Egham United Services Club, should we delete?

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    What do poor sods like me who are not a member of CAMRA (and will not be unless they pay me to join) do?
    With the £20 of Wetherspoons vouchers on offer, they almost are!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    With the £20 of Wetherspoons vouchers on offer, they almost are!
    You see, I dislike CAMRA because they are too interested in campaigning on issues I don't care about (see beer tie for classic example). Now it crossed my mind that I should join as you can't change anything from the outside, sadly JDW's beat me to it.

Regardless, not my point and whilst fun is probably more appropriate in a new thread.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I have been in other clubs on this site, and although it says CAMRA cards to be shown for admission I have never been asked to show mine when walking in. My son, not a CAMRA member has had no problems either.

Always difficult if someone has had a favourite club deleted and others aren't, but I would think they should be on the site if good for the ales as long as no-one experiences problems getting in.

I'll stay on me own

Why should a club be included on this site if it stocks real ales this is a PUB site and once you let a few clubs that have real ales on then people who run none real ale clubs will think why car'nt i have my club on this site.
    On another thread Conrad said in reply to me most people looking at this site probably dont drink real ale so including a few real ale clubs will be pandering to a small minority of people using this site.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    Why should a club be included on this site if it stocks real ales this is a PUB site and once you let a few clubs that have real ales on then people who run none real ale clubs will think why car'nt i have my club on this site.
    On another thread Conrad said in reply to me most people looking at this site probably dont drink real ale so including a few real ale clubs will be pandering to a small minority of people using this site.
    I must have been in a grumpy mood that day (so yes, sounds like me).

The real ale portion does bother me, the pandering to small minority less so. I don't want us to start including clubs just because of CAMRA membership, and in some ways by extension selling real ale. If that small minority however is posting the reviews that make the site worthwhile we should pander to them.

I am a CAMRA member and so it doesn't apply to me if entry is restricted to CIU card holders with a CAMRA dispensation or just CAMRA card holders BUT as a general rule as a site open to all then the venues listed should be " open to all"

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Did you not pay for your CAMRA membership then? What do poor sods like me who are not a member of CAMRA (and will not be unless they pay me to join) do?
    Yes I did Pay but it was so long ago that I joined as a Life Member for a one off fee. It was back in the Mid eighty's I think it was around £50 for Life membership back then.

P/s But Ive definitely got back more in Discounted Beer And Beer Vouchers & Discounted entry into Beer festivals then I Paid back then so did it costs me ?.
    Last edited by Alesonly; 26-04-2011 at 11:26. Reason: Too add P/s
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

http://www.natashamoorfield.co.uk/co...icking%20Rules

A bit of a laugh when you have some time, but it does define what a pub is, and it would exclude clubs for the reasons you have given.

Still think it a shame to exclude when a lot of these clubs DO let folk in off the street without checking credentials. Suppose some are lucky and others not.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Well it is looking my vague hope of relaxing the rules is failing then .

If no one raises any compelling points by Thursday morning I will go ahead and do the deletion. So make sure you store those reviews if you want to rescue them as well.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I won't get into the yes/no debate, but am pleased that this thread highlighted what looks like a must-visit venue next time I'm over that way.