Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Egham United Services Club, should we delete?

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Default Egham United Services Club, should we delete?

Admin note from Conrad: This post has been moved to a new thread from an existing thread

I have no doubt that this is a centre of excellence for beer, but the fact remains it is a private club. A couple of weeks ago The Brookside Social Club (South Elmsall) had its listing deleted for similar entry criteria. (See 'Review???' thread #165 onwards) On the grounds of consistency and fairness I feel the same should be applied here.
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 23-04-2011 at 11:28.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

The posts that a&h refers to are here.

I have to admit I was tempted to remove Egham United Services Club out of hand it is clearly a members club and as a&h correctly points out that is apparently the criteria for deletion used elsewhere.

However there are a number of members reviews against it, and this site is for the members enjoyment.

Your thoughts are welcomed, but to be clear the fact that it lets CAMRA members in is a brilliant excuse as far as I am concerned to delete it, so any justifications had better be based on a different excuse .

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I reckon, despite the reviews, it does not meet the "any member of public walk in off the street etc" criteria and thus should go as per A&H suggestion

I'll stay on me own

I agree what Aleandhearty says, you should'nt have to carry books or cards about to gain entry to a drinking establishment

It should be removed - although it seems a decent club it is not open to the general public. I am not a CAMRA member and if I can't call in without meeting certain criteria or paying it has to go !

I am a salmon !!

It should only be removed if someone can get back the ten minutes of my life spent writing the review!

Glass Half Empty

I am not, never have been, and probably never will be, a CAMRA member. In fact, I don't even have an anorak. But I don't have a problem with including something that would appear to be an excellent drinking establishment which has been enjoyed by other PuG members. As long as it's possible for that to be done as an exception rather than the rule.
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

I'd never heard of Egham United Services Club and if it were not included anywhere on the site I never would have but as a CAMRA member I would certainly think about visiting if I were in the area and to that end, its continued inclusion has some value. My local club in Dartford has won Club of the Year on numerous occasions and regularly has 15+ ales available but no-one will ever know about it if we don't have some degree of flexibility. There are a couple of pubs within heritage museums that are included on the site and I have no problem with this either. Maybe we should have a separate section somewhere for worthy clubs, venues etc where entry is limited but have sufficient merits or interest to warrant inclusion somewhere within their own pigeonhole.

Ive been in this club a few times but it was a few times during the Beer Festivals held there over the years. Ive not been charged or refused entry I just show my CAMRA gold card on door seems a nice place but it was always packed when we went in.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I think Old Blue is probably most in tune with my thinking. The site is there to be enjoyed and clearly this club is attracting reviews. Only real issue I have is how exceptions are decided, kind of just think in the back of my head that if you have done over 100 reviews then you get a bit of leeway on adding venues, seems a little weak in some respects though.

Certainly I posted this with that agenda a little in mind though, there are venues I think it would be a pity to delete, and this is potentially one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    Ive been in this club a few times but it was a few times during the Beer Festivals held there over the years. Ive not been charged or refused entry I just show my CAMRA gold card on door seems a nice place but it was always packed when we went in.
    Did you not pay for your CAMRA membership then? What do poor sods like me who are not a member of CAMRA (and will not be unless they pay me to join) do?