Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Wakefield

Default Wakefield

Probably Ale&Hearty's territory this. Thanks to Leeds 458th minute equaliser on Saturday, I will be decamping to West Yorkshire for the replay for 3 days next week and will be based in Wakefield, a city I know nothing about. A quick scan of the local pubs has led to a shortlist of the Albion, Elephant & Castle, Fernades Brewery Tap, Graziers, Harry's Bar, The Hop, Inns of Court, Kings Arms, Labour Club (Red Shed), O'Donoghues and the Six Chimneys. They are the main contenders but I have pencilled in several others that may/make not get a visit depending on time and location. Any I have missed out that are worthy of a visit or any there that I can rule out? Will be out and about during the day in the area so anything good within a short drive will also be useful.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Probably Ale&Hearty's territory this.
    Absolutely! I must admit I did wonder if you were heading north for the replay. Wakefield has plenty of pubs, of which 6-7 are very good. Frustratingly, as Quinno found out, many don't open until 4-5 p.m. You seem to have most of my core list, but I would add Henry Boon's also. A crawl I'd suggest in order is Boon's, Harry's Bar, The Hop, O'Donoghues, Red Shed, Fernandes Tap.Of the others:
    Elephant and Castle- fantastic exterior, cosy interior,shame about the beer.
    Inns of Court- Pleasant enough. Four pumps from the Marstons stable.
    Graziers-nothing special
    Six Chimneys- Beer usually OK, staff better than average.
    Albion-the Sam Smith's one? Haven't been, can't comment.
    King's Arms, Heath. Beer quality somewhat erratic, but the interior is fascinating. About 10-15 minute drive from city-centre.

Had you realised that Ossett is only 10-15 minutes from the city centre? The Brewers Pride is a fantastic pub, well worth a visit.(Handily, Ossett Brewery is next door and I believe Bob's Brewery is now behind the pub). Also in Ossett are The Silver King and The Tap.

It would be fantastic if we could meet up. It'd be great to show you around. Are you coming before or staying after the game? Are you staying in the centre or on the outskirts?

Cheers.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

We are staying in the Travelodge in Wakefield city centre (only the best will do for us). We will probably drive straight up to Leeds for the match on Weds and then drive back to Wakefield after the game - don't fancy hanging around Leeds, especially when they have lost. It doesn't leave much time for a celebratory pint in Wakefield unless we can find a pub open until midnight. We don't go home until Saturday 6th - the Spurs game that day is a 5.30pm ko so plenty of time to get back for the match. That gives us all day Thursday and Friday to see the sights. If you are around on the Thursday or Friday night I'm sure we can arrange to find you in a suitable establishment (or 2, or 3....).

We are staying in the Travelodge in Wakefield city centre (only the best will do for us). We will probably drive straight up to Leeds for the match on Weds and then drive back to Wakefield after the game - don't fancy hanging around Leeds, especially when they have lost. It doesn't leave much time for a celebratory pint in Wakefield unless we can find a pub open until midnight. We don't go home until Saturday 6th - the Spurs game that day is a 5.30pm ko so plenty of time to get back for the match. That gives us all day Thursday and Friday to see the sights. If you are around on the Thursday or Friday night I'm sure we can arrange to find you in a suitable establishment (or 2, or 3....).
    Don't expect to get a car parking space at Wakefield Travelodge Roger, it's only got about 10 and it's quite a big hotel.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Don't expect to get a car parking space at Wakefield Travelodge Roger, it's only got about 10 and it's quite a big hotel.
    I did see about car parking - 12 spaces but it didn't say how many rooms. As long as there is something within a shortish walk it shouldn't be a major issue.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

I did see about car parking - 12 spaces but it didn't say how many rooms. As long as there is something within a shortish walk it shouldn't be a major issue.
    Hi Roger, have sent you a PM. If you happen to use a car park run by Excel, be very careful about going over your time limit. They are ruthless about fining people. It's got so bad our local MP's become involved.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.