Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some York corrections

Default Some York corrections

The Red Lion Inn & Motel should just be The Red Lion.

The Lord Nelson Inn in Nether Poppleton looks like it is in Upper Poppleton when you look at the map (and indeed I "corrected" it when I was planning my trip there), but the inn sign clearly states "Nether Poppleton". However, it doesn't show very clearly on the photos I've submitted. Is there anything you can do or suggest to make this clearer, just to try to deter anyone else who might have forgotten not to trust maps?

I have moved The Leeman Hotel to a new area called Leeman Road, together with The Junction Brewhouse and The Jubilee. This is in response to the review by Trevor Bailey on the Leeman - he is quite right, having visited recently with his comments in mind, I can confirm this is a distinct area quite separate from Holgate.

Please correct the name of Millfield Brewsters. The sign says The Millfield and it is branded as a Beefeater, which also appears in bold letters on the front of the building, but I would say that the name of the place is The Millfield.

Cheers
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    The Red Lion Inn & Motel should just be The Red Lion.
    http://redlion-motel.com/default.aspx

Yes, on that basis it should be changed to The Red Lion Motel & Country Inn. But on the pub itself it just says The Red Lion. To be honest, I don't care all that much so we'll just leave it to Conrad.
    Come On You Hatters!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi sheffield hatter,

We have corrected the name of The Red Lion and The Millfield. I am inclined to just follow the pub signs where I can.

I have never been to York, I have never heard of Nether or Upper Poppleton and I really have no strong feeling on where The Lord Nelson Inn is. I would say if they have put one on their sign though then that is probably a good hint of where it is, and if anyone is looking for the pub we do have a map.

Congratulations on sorting out the Leeman Road issue, always nice to be reminded how much I enjoy this site sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I have never been to York, I have never heard of Nether or Upper Poppleton...
    You really should come some time! York is definitely somewhere any pub lover should visit. Oh, and there's the Minster, the old city walls, Jorvik, etc, etc.

The two Poppletons seem like pleasant villages, though whether it's worth the shlep out of the city is up to you.

Congratulations on sorting out the Leeman Road issue, always nice to be reminded how much I enjoy this site sometimes
    Apologies for having reopened old wounds. On rereading the old thread, I notice you suggested these pubs could be in both areas (Holgate and Leeman Road), which is an option I have used once or twice elsewhere. In this instance, I'm happy to go along with the man who was born there and leave them in Leeman Road.

Cheers
    Come On You Hatters!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Apologies for having reopened old wounds. On rereading the old thread, I notice you suggested these pubs could be in both areas (Holgate and Leeman Road), which is an option I have used once or twice elsewhere. In this instance, I'm happy to go along with the man who was born there and leave them in Leeman Road.
    Which bit of this struck you as a good idea? The bit where:

• You give massive credence to someone who joined the site just to start an argument about a Road being an Area (and has had an argument with his local paper on the same issue), a one dropper, not even a one drop reviewer
    • The bit where you value said persons opinion more than one of our top 5 contributors
    • The bit where you brag about completely ignoring the site developers suggestions

Really though, mess up the areas as much as you like, but I don't need to hear about it, that wasn't why we made the change.

Leeman Road and the streets just off are not easily reachable from the main part of Holgate because the old railway works lie in between, so it's probably a useful distinction. Even the City of York website talks about the Leeman Rd area of Holgate.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Excellent, well you learn some new geography every day.

I am sure now that millions more people will find that pub as they search this site for Leeman Road, that has now made this site sooooooooooooooo much more usable. Those pubs will rejoice as their businesses are saved because the tourists flocking to Leeman road were previously unable to find their pubs.

Out of interest though why is all this being posted in the corrections forum and what do you want me to do about it?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Leeman Road and the streets just off are not easily reachable from the main part of Holgate because the old railway works lie in between, so it's probably a useful distinction. Even the City of York website talks about the Leeman Rd area of Holgate.
    Also having thought about it, if things are in the Leeman Road area of Holgate, how are they not in Holgate?

I can't believe I am answering this again, but why on earth do people have to get their knickers in such a bloody twist about areas, seriously if they are that confusing we can just switch them off I certainly wont care, I can get on with stuff I care about on the site then.

Which bit of this struck you as a good idea? The bit where:

• You give massive credence to someone who joined the site just to start an argument about a Road being an Area (and has had an argument with his local paper on the same issue), a one dropper, not even a one drop reviewer
    • The bit where you value said persons opinion more than one of our top 5 contributors
    • The bit where you brag about completely ignoring the site developers suggestions

Really though, mess up the areas as much as you like, but I don't need to hear about it, that wasn't why we made the change.
    I really don't think this is fair. I was not bragging about anything, merely explaining what I had done and why. If others disagree, there is the flexibility in the system to change it. Just because Trevor Bailey is a "one dropper" who has written to his local paper, it doesn't mean he is wrong about this. Similarly, just because Alan Winfield is a tremendous and highly valued contributor to Pubs Galore, it doesn't mean he is right.

I'm sorry now that I mentioned Leeman Road in my original post about some minor corrections in York. It was meant as a courtesy as much as anything, because of the dispute between Alan and Trevor: I didn't want it to seem like I had gone behind Al's back in making the change.

Conrad, if you think I'm messing up the areas, please disable that facility for me.

Old Boots, thanks for your comment. If the information you have seen indicates that Leeman Road is part of Holgate, the three pubs there should be in both, I guess. However, I am past caring now and will leave it up to you.

Cheers
    Come On You Hatters!