Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 24 April 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    A very good week for beer as I wasn't working, lots of very good beers but an unexpected winner from Brains was MILKWOOD - a traditional malty bitter, slightly bitter-sweet but very drinkable.

"To begin at the begining:
    It is spring, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black,
    the cobblestreets silent and the hunched, courters' - and rabbits' wood limping invisible down to the sloeblack, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboat-bobbing sea.
    The houses are blind as moles
    (though moles see fine tonight in the snouting, velvet dingles)
    or blind as Captain Cat there in the muffled middle by the pump and the town clock, the shops in mourning, the Welfare Hall in widows' weeds. And all the people of the lulled and dumbfounded town are sleeping now."
    Thanks OB-that's enough to drive me to Wales to try Milkwood!I've already described 2 beers as bibleblack this year.
    No pub, again, this week! Consoled by Gadds No 3.
    Last edited by Wittenden; 24-04-2011 at 22:36.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    MILKWOOD

"To begin at the beginning:
    It is spring, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black, ...
    Not tried the beer but have the book on my ipod. I think it may be a challenge to struggle through the text on paper, but the wonderful narration of Richard Burton makes it an occasional treat when walking the dogs.

A good few beers tried this week with trips into Manchester and Sowerby Bridge.

Abbeydale Sheep Remedy and Salamander Whipping Boy in The Knott in Manchester were in with a shout.

As were all the beers tried in the excellent Works in Sowerby Bridge.

Kelham Island Modern Love threw it's hat into the ring tried at The Baum.

But BOTW is going to be Wychwood Hot Chocolate tried at the Flying Horse in Rochdale.

A dark beer with Chocolate & Chilli ideal for the warm Friday night when I tried it.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

BOTW is going to be White Rose - Gecko to Nose You , despite the daft name was ideal for a warm night
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

An excellent week, thanks in part to a couple of enjoyable Easter festivals. There were early contenders from a couple of old favourites: Fyne Ales Jarl and York Centurion Ghost.
    The Easter Sunday turned up a few more excellent beers including Isle of Wight Vectis Venom, Isle of Man Old Bushy Tail and a wonderful pint of Orkney IPA.

However, despite all this stiff cometition, BOTW goes to Kernel Simcoe IPA, as tried at the Mason & Taylor Single Hop Festival on Saturday. An excellent showcase for the simcoe hop, full of grapefruit and citrus flavours and surprisingly drinkable at 7.9%. Another relatively new London brewery to keep an eye on.

Managed to find a couple of the Trumans beers this week - OK but not BotW stuff. That honour will go to the Daleside White Beer at the Flying Boat in Dartford, one of the Spoonfest tail enders that still keep cropping up.

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

Had a very good week, thanks in no small part to the weather as we wandered about the South Devon coast. Anyway, BOTW is Oakham Citra, which closely edges it from Dark Star’s American Pale Ale.
    And you can really taste the hops!

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Think I've missed a couple of weeks of this.

Despite a special Oakham beer festival on at one of the pubs in St Albans (10 different Oakham beers I think) my BotW goes to one that I reported in this thread. The wonderful Brewdog Tokyo, in all it's 18.2% of glory
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Very late submitting this week. Some good solid beers, but nothing that blew my socks off:

Anglo-Dutch - Sweet Jane.
    Fernandes - Chimera.
    Fernandes - Green Bullet.
    Ossett - By George.
    Fernandes - Sportsman's Special.
    Green Mill - Northern Lights.
    Nook - Oat Stout.

Unfortunately, the stout was a bit tired otherwise it would have probably won. Instead BOTW goes to Fernandes - Green Bullet.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.